Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swann CCTV Camera system help!

Thanks

Default Swann CCTV Camera system help!

Hey All,

So I'm considering setting up a 4 – 8 Camera DVR surveillance system.

I have been looking at the SWANN DVR8-2500 (8 Cameras, DVR and iPhone Monitoring) – It looks like a great kit except I need the web browser function (and viewing of cameras via web on LAN) to work on Mac in Safari.

I know the included software doesn't work on mac, but thats no a big deal if the web GUI works fine.

Here's that Kit:

$2000 Isn't exactly cheap but is there anything else which comes close to this deal?

iPhone and Mac connectivity is a must. I have tried doing the PC box + webcams and it kinda works but I'd prefer a system like the Swann one.

So does anybody know if the web GUI works on Mac?

Also, how hard is it to setup the iPhone interface/WWW interface?

EDIT: And do I need a Static IP to do all this? Or a service like dynDNS? (Which I have no clue how to use!)

<Maybe this thread should be in networking>

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Is this a wireless system ? I installed a Swann w/less system about a year ago in a food out let in a large shopping centre. The owner had bought it & just wanted it installed. I advised her to take it back & we'd put in a cabled system for less money but she said NO. So I gave her a price on installation only with NO guarantee as to the quality of the outcome. Turns out the video could not be reliably transmitted 15m. She made a lot of noise & refused to pay until the legal threats started.

If on the other hand it is cabled then it is probably OK but just overpriced.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Watchdog, it's a wired system. I looked at the specs, they are pretty vague on details like HDD space, camera resolution etc. That's pretty much expected from DIY kits like these.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simo1122 View Post
    I know the included software doesn't work on mac, but thats no a big deal if the web GUI works fine.
    Not so fast.

A lot of DVR Web interfaces rely on ActiveX (which I hate) and thus don't run on non-Microsoft browsers e.g. Firefox or Chrome and will also cause grief on Macs.

Try before you buy...

Thanks

There are currently no DVR's on the market that offer an app for use on Mac. As donwunderdan said, the web interfaces rely on Active X to function and this is something else not supported. As for cost, there are other offerings that are a wee bit better than Swann.
    A client purchased kit last week and wanted it installed. It's actually quite good for where it sits in the market and certainly far better than Swann. Comes with preterminated CAT5e cables and all balluns etc. They've got a fantastic little passive 8ch UTP transceiver/PSU unit which tidies things up a bit too. As for the cameras, they're only 420TVL but the images are great for what it is. It also has an iPhone app and supports DDNS so theres no requirement for a static IP.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

Simo1122 (30-05-10)

Thanks

Be careful - my brief experience with Swann RF CCTV devices was not pleasant.
    Turns out the RF (2.4 GHz I think) used by Swann splatters most Wireless network devices in the same spectrum.
    My neighbour wondered why his wreless network had been down for over a week - about the same time I started testing these units.
    Shutting them down = neighbour happy.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 31-05-10 at 09:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    There are currently no DVR's on the market that offer an app for use on Mac. As donwunderdan said, the web interfaces rely on Active X to function and this is something else not supported. As for cost, there are other offerings that are a wee bit better than Swann.
    A client purchased kit last week and wanted it installed. It's actually quite good for where it sits in the market and certainly far better than Swann. Comes with preterminated CAT5e cables and all balluns etc. They've got a fantastic little passive 8ch UTP transceiver/PSU unit which tidies things up a bit too. As for the cameras, they're only 420TVL but the images are great for what it is. It also has an iPhone app and supports DDNS so theres no requirement for a static IP.
    That system looks good. i'll add a note to this thread and say I'd prefer if it was Cat5e (I assume the above is POE?)...

Thanks

There are currently no DVR's on the market that offer an app for use on Mac.
    There are and they use QuickTime as the player. Any browser that has QT plugin can view the DVR.

Thanks

I assume the above is POE?
    Not POE in it's true form, but video and power transmitted across twisted pair with the use of Baluns. OK, if you want to future proof an installation for later use of IP cameras.

Thanks

Hmmm well I am no longer going down the Swann path, as you guys have given me multiple ideas and suggestions.....(Better and cheaper! )

Thanks

And do I need a Static IP to do all this? Or a service like dynDNS? (Which I have no clue how to use!)

Thanks

A client purchased kit last week and wanted it installed. It's actually quite good for where it sits in the market and certainly far better than Swann.
    I just went to their site. Have a read of this;

Quote Originally Posted by austech surveillance
    Our goal was to produce a digital video recording system with features and image quality that would remain otherwise unseen by the Australian market for years to come.
    That's a bold statement to make when you peddle 'run of the mill' H.264 DVRs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    There are and they use QuickTime as the player. Any browser that has QT plugin can view the DVR.
    Care to share any particular products? I've been looking for quite some time.

That system looks good. i'll add a note to this thread and say I'd prefer if it was Cat5e (I assume the above is POE?)...
    Not POE. They use UTP baluns to convert the unbalanced 75ohm single to a ballanced 100ohm signal for transmission over CAT5. The interesting thing about the way these guys do it is the module they use at the DVR. It's actually an 8 channel passive balun and PSU all in one. Makes things quite tidy at the DVR instead of having leads and baluns flying everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post

That's a bold statement to make when you peddle 'run of the mill' H.264 DVRs.
    I'll agree their DVRs at that price point are some what run of the mill but you wouldn't be suggesting that properly implimented h.264 is lacking now would you?
    Last edited by Drift; 31-05-10 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

Thanks

Found out they are ActiveX only! That's out for me then

Thanks

It's actually an 8 channel passive balun and PSU all in one. Makes things quite tidy at the DVR instead of having leads and baluns flying everywhere.
    It would be tidy, however it also seems to create a massive single point of failure. I prefer redundancy and segregation wherever possible. Power surges would be fun too I expect.

Horses for courses I suppose. As with anything, a five dollar toy well implemented is better than a ten thousand dollar work of art poorly implemented.

Thanks

Default Surveillance system

I am also in the market for a surveillance system - i have been looking at swann dvr 4-8 system and looks like thumbs down. would appreciate if someone can suggest one.

Hey All,

So I'm considering setting up a 4 – 8 Camera DVR surveillance system.

I have been looking at the SWANN DVR8-2500 (8 Cameras, DVR and iPhone Monitoring) – It looks like a great kit except I need the web browser function (and viewing of cameras via web on LAN) to work on Mac in Safari.

Here's that Kit:

$2000 Isn't exactly cheap but is there anything else which comes close to this deal?

iPhone and Mac connectivity is a must. I have tried doing the PC box + webcams and it kinda works but I'd prefer a system like the Swann one.

So does anybody know if the web GUI works on Mac?

Also, how hard is it to setup the iPhone interface/WWW interface?

EDIT: And do I need a Static IP to do all this? Or a service like dynDNS? (Which I have no clue how to use!)

<Maybe this thread should be in networking>

Thanks

Default Good CCTV products

Hi.
    I work as a CCTV installer and the company I use has some good products. They have everything you need and varying quality. Look at the link for one of their packages. Or if you like something different, let me know what you like from their website and I will get you a price. See how you go.

Thanks Max

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by maxfromoz View Post
    Hi.
    I work as a CCTV installer and the company I use has some good products. They have everything you need and varying quality. Look at the link for one of their packages. Or if you like something different, let me know what you like from their website and I will get you a price. See how you go.

Thanks Max
    Hey Max I sent you a PM regarding prices etc.

IntelliGeorge I've also sent you a few PM's. Please get back to me ASAP as your the only AVTech retailer I can find!

Thanks

There's a DIY kit in the

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast