Thread: HELP: How to determine WHAT/WHERE Win Update was installed...

Thanks

Default HELP: How to determine WHAT/WHERE Win Update was installed...

Can i refer everyones attention to this post first:

Can someone please tell me, either the easy way (if one exists) or a technical way, as to HOW exactly, i can find out WHAT 'Windows Update' has been installed and WHERE abouts it was installed on C:?

I ask this, simply because the problem i addressed in the previous thread (above) has not gone away and i simply refuse to buy another OS or sit on the phone with USELESS Tech support people at Windows or HP.

Basically, everytime i do a quick system restore, i can ONCE AGAIn play my audio/video files...however, usually within 24 hours after doing regular PC work (connected to the net)...and even with Windows Firewall, Updates (etc) ALL TURNED OFF, some bullshit happens to my laptop...and don't ask how or why, but causes me to lose functionality to my audio/video files.

Audio files will not play in any player
    Video files differ - the video might play, but no audio, some video files wont play at all.

Help, as opposed to saying "ust go XP" would be extremely valuable and wouldn't go without much praise and thanks. So if anyone can help, please let me know!

RoOSTA

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Go to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and check the Updates box. You will see all the updates and can removes what you want.

There is also Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer v2.1 Beta 2 that will scan your computer and show what updates have been installed and what are missing. If you click on the update it will open a web page with a description of the update.

Thanks

Thanks, will follow this up and post results.

Thanks

Less than 2 days later,the Windows Update list (through CPanel) doesn't show any new updated since the 22nd, which means whatever is happeneing, it's doing 'silently'

I am running the Baseline program...it seems it can locate certain missing "updates" but won't tell me what has been installed...but that's as much help as it is - i can install a good 200MB worth of updates over the next hour but go back to square one after system restore ~ all updates will be uninstalled, HOWEVER, my audio/video files will be accessible again!

RoOSTA

Thanks

turn system restore off, reboot an do updates, once they are completed reboot and turn system restore on, now when you restore it will have the updates as to why your audio files etc fail i have no idea but first i would re-install or update any programs or drivers associated with video an audio

Thanks

Followed your suggestion, enabled system restore once again after upgrading/updating the audio drivers (which installed successfully).

According to the WinMPlayer error box, it makes it obvious that the file is in use or not accessible. As i've mentioned there's just ONE account (the admin) and there's no kind of restrictions to ANY files/folders...and the {proxy" settings have nothing to do with it.

Again,if anyone can help i'd be in your debt. I am seriously thinking of just going spastic over the phone at HP and their retarded setup with Vista...one of the worst OS's out there. I;d really like tech help here before i go nuts at them.

Cheers
    RoOSTA

Thanks

Google has an answer... go to Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Sound and then something should pop up saying certain enhancements are interfering with something Terminate the program? Click yes and your problem should be solved.

Thanks

Thankyou so much. I resort to Google as a last option, simply because there's a lot more people on here, like yourself, who has a good idea as to WHAT might be causing it and how i might start troubleshooting the problem.

Thanks so much for that. I owe you a virtual beer.

RoOSTA