Thread: Problem with File types

Thanks

Default Problem with File types

Ok....

I run a Commodore 64 Emulator (CCS64version2) on my lappy for playing old classic Advanced Dungeons and Dragons games. Kids have seen me play these, My boys are 7 and 9 and are quite PC Literate, and Ive added a few games for them to play which they enjoy, i think sometimes more than they do with Xbox and new games... Right problem is , They went to open a game rom, they are in .d64 format, and instead of double clicking it, they have hit the open with tab, thus, wordpad was highlighted so when ok has been hit, and always open this type of file like this was ticked, its changed all the .d64 icons to wordpad icons.. I have gone to change back to open with ccs64.exe but this wont work, i select it and it doesnt add it to list. i uninstalled ccs64 and reinstalled hopeing that it would change assosiated files to .d64 nut it doesnt. I even upgraded to version 3 and still no good.
    Is there any other way to change file types other than going into file properties and hitting cchaange type tab??
    Any help would be fantastic.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Which Operating System are you using?

Thanks

windows XP Professional

Thanks

Go to Windows Explorer -> Tools Menu -> Folder Options
    Select the file Types Tab
    Scroll down to find the extension you have.
    Then you can Change/Advanced to modify the behaviour of the item.

Thanks

How to change which program starts when you double-click a file
    Notes
    • You cannot use this method for a file that does not have a file name extension, or for a file that has a system extension, such as exe, .com, .bat, and so on.
    • It is a good idea to note the previous program for the file name extension before you change the program that is used to open that file type. Then you can easily restore the previous program for the file name extension if the file is not opened correctly in the program that you specify.
    To change which program starts when you double-click a file whose file type is associated with a particular program, follow these steps:
    1. Open My Computer or Windows Explorer, right-click a file for which you want to change the program that opens that file type, and then use either of the following methods to change which program starts:
    • Click Open With to choose the program that you want.
    • Point to Open With, and then click Choose Program to choose the program that you want.
    2. Notice that theOpen With dialog box appears. Use one of the following methods to select the program that you want to use to open this kind of file:
    • In the Programs list, click the program that you want.
    • Click Browse, locate and then click the program that you want to use, and then click OK.
    • Click Look for the appropriate program on the Web to browse the Internet for the program that you want.
    3. Click to select the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box if it is not already selected.
    4. Click OK.

Note From now on, Windows XP will open all files that have this file name extension in the associated program. To change this, you would have to follow these steps again and associate a different program with this file name extension.