Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone managed to get a VAST decoder

Thanks

Default Has anyone managed to get a VAST decoder

Has anyone manage to get their hands on to the new decoder yet. I understand the shipment has docked on Australia shore and registration process has opened. I think I will be at least another week before anyone has a decoder. Is there anyone out there with a physcial unit on their hands. It Will be good to know who can supply one to the customer now. So if you have some on hand, let us know.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Here is a few links to where you can get one soon, have seen more but didn't save links.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Just remember.... anyone can purchase the box, but you have to satisfy the criteria of terrestrial signal measurements to have the smartcard authorised/activated.

Only residents in the Sunraysia area who cannot receive terrestrial digital signals with the correct terrestrial antenna are eligible to receive the VAST service at this time.

Banned

Thanks

Default Are there any other decoders able to be used.

Wondering if any other HD decoders using a irdeto 2 cam are suitable.?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I certainly hope to be proven wrong but my guess is that UEC have the only STB on the market approved for the VAST service.
    In the press releases, it does intimate other STB's could be available.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

marty 17 (12-06-10)

Thanks

According to local news in Mildura ...VAST boxes were due to arrive Tuesday but the have only left Sydney on Monday.
    So may not be feedback for a few days yet,unless another member has any other news they want to share.
    Cheers husky61

• 27-06-10, 10:11 PM

Reason
    banned user

Premium Member

Thanks

Default UEC VAST stb availability ??

I rang a retailer in Orange (NSW) today and inquired about the availability of the UEC's for VAST and I was told they were anticipating a delivery in September.
    As we arent due to 'Switch OFF' untill June 2012 in the Central West of NSW, I wondered about that date.
    I was curious to see if others have made similar inquiries for their own areas and is there a pattern to the distibution or is it simply as supplies become available.
    Obviously Mildura would have been first on the list because they were first but what about now?
    In one way for Orange to have them available almost 15 months before the Analog close down even commences makes me wonder if they may intend to allow those already on Aurora to begin updating.
    I have never been in business but I am sure I wouldnt be buying several hundreds worth of $$$$'s of stock to sit and gather dust for that long.
    Also there is a possibilty of another brand of STB could appear on the market and compete for sales or those bought now MIGHT be superseded in some way??
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

• 01-07-10, 05:40 PM

Reason
    ot

Premium Member
    Thanks

I DID A SCAN ON DM600 HD
    Friday night
    can see all Imparja channells, go,7 and so on. EAST.
    all scrambled D3 (Scramble)
    SOME WERE HD
    dreamax 600,strong 4663

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Regional SA is the next area sheduled to turn off analogue at the end of this year and will require more VAST boxes than the Mildura/Sunraysia area needed, so it's likely production of the boxes will be focused for supply to that region before other areas are considered.

Thanks

And that is the gospel truth.

UEC ... are very tightly controlling distribution to ensure that only customers affected by imminent analogue turn-off are supplied.

Thanks

I spoke to the lady at CAMPERSAT Store re the DIGITAL SATELLITE RECEIVER UEC-VAST INCLUDING SMART CARD.

They are selling now and will post Registered Mail (eg Victoria $25) unit is $269 + postage or pick up if in Hornsby NSW.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    Regional SA is the next area sheduled to turn off analogue at the end of this year and will require more VAST boxes than the Mildura/Sunraysia area needed, so it's likely production of the boxes will be focused for supply to that region before other areas are considered.
    As someone living in this area, I gather this would be based on the similar mapping to Optus Aurora, in that many will be serviced by a regional transmitter that does not do the second commercial channel's offerings. So in reality can't envisage huge uptake of the VAST boxes - but that is based on the South-East of SA being mostly serviced by its terrestrial service at Mount Burr.

If one could access the VAST service to get what is not broadcast locally, that would be ideal, although I think that this is more wishful thinking than a reality
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Well I received this scripted email just the other day which started my rant .

Hi xxx,

Thank you for your enquiry. Order bookings are heavy. We are delivering now, and we are handling orders in rotation. You can order directly on line Click here

Please read the Text material and then For full information please download the 6 page PDF document. Click here.

We are recommending all customers piggy back the new VAST receiver into their existing Remote Areas Aurora service.

If you need a complete new system, we can provide a full self install package for $699.00 click here

Our 6 page document also deals with connection and cables. We do suggest you order with your VAST receiver or system, cable or power divider to connect your VAST receiver to the existing dish, and of course the correct cable to get the most out of the video and audio signals from your new VAST receiver.

For example :

HDMI Cable
    Patch Cable
    Component Cable

We look forward to your order.

Best regards,

Jodie Murphy
    Product Development Manager
    Campersat Division of Videosat Pty Ltd
    2/28 Salisbury Road Hornsby NSW 2077
    PO Box 3190 Asquith NSW 2077
    Phone (02) 9482 3100
    Fax (02) 9482 3999
    I wouldn't trust em. They just want your money.

And if you get one how will you get your card activated for the commercial offerings?

This whole deal is tighter than the proverbial fishes xxxhole.

I also received this email from UEC. It as in response to my query that went like this:

Sent: Saturday, 3 July 2010 6:00 PM
    To: Sales
    Subject: VAST UEC DSD - 4121

Hi,

As a new customer of one of these boxes (I am currently a black spot Aurora subscriber); what is the warranty and how will warranty and service be implemented?

Best Regards
    Sent: Sunday, 4 July 2010 9:43 PM
    To: 'xxx'
    Subject: RE: VAST UEC DSD - 4121

Hi

I am surprised you have the DSD4121 as it is only available for Mildura customers.

Have you managed to authorise this unit for the commercial channels as I would like to know.

I will confirm with you warranty for product after finding out the above details.

I would also like to know your place of purchase.

Warranty is 12 months from date of purchase.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
    It was a misunderstanding.

I don't have a box ... but you get the drift.

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote<Warranty is 12 months from date of purchase.>unquote

That says it all.
    Unless you can get a STB in FULL working order NOW at time of purchase, it could be out of Warranty by the time your area is 'signed off'.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
    As someone living in this area, I gather this would be based on the similar mapping to Optus Aurora, in that many will be serviced by a regional transmitter that does not do the second commercial channel's offerings. So in reality can't envisage huge uptake of the VAST boxes - but that is based on the South-East of SA being mostly serviced by its terrestrial service at Mount Burr.

If one could access the VAST service to get what is not broadcast locally, that would be ideal, although I think that this is more wishful thinking than a reality

Many households in the south east of SA actually get much more FTA DVB-T channels than any capital city probably will ever offer.
    Known fact down there that you set a antenna up pointing across the border to Vic, results in more than doubling what channels they receive locally.
    Not all areas can though.

The million dollar question??

I’m curious!! If they are stating that their intention is for ALL Australians to be entitled to receive the channels that capital cities are enjoying right now (and in the future); what happens in the cases where some areas already getting DVB-T, but do not receive all that is offered in the cities.

I’ll ask it in another way...

Does it entitle those areas already receiving some digital channels, to purchase a VAST DVB-S set-top box, and have activated the channels not currently being received?

Many areas like Mt Gambier (2nd largest city in SA) are receiving digital already; BUT, do not have the full array of channels. No OneHD, GO... being offered down there. Why is it restricted to Mildura right now?

If the powers that be decided to open it up to all areas not receiving the full array of channels; it would include most regional and rural areas, and probably all remote areas; to having those channels activated and received via VAST, that are not currently being received on digital means.

What do others think??
    Last edited by Xplorer; 10-07-10 at 12:03 AM. Reason: edited

• The Following User Says Thank You to Xplorer For This Useful Post:

porkchops (30-07-10)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Put me in your team Xplorer.

For something that is supposed to be for ALL AUSTRALIANS, then it's a mighty big secret.

I have emailed the minister of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy, 3 times over 5 weeks, and have had not one reply, not even an acknowledgement. I think, as I said in my last email to them, that they have no knowledge of what the word "communications" means, and that they are not assisting black spot viewers as their press release stated...still no reply.

Premium Member

Thanks

Some of these questions Xplorer asks are the details lacking in promotional releases.
    I have a 'Chat Friend' in Whyalla SA who tell me they have Digital but are missing one channel (WIN, I think).
    There was a press report purportedly coming from the Broadcaster sayin that they would not be extending their transmissions into certain areas like Whyalla as it wasnt commercially viable.
    If this is correct and come the now being advertised closeure of Analog sevices to South Australia on the 15th of December, will this 'Missing Channel' be available terrestialy or via VAST which if you look at it financialy, are you going to pay several hundred Dollars for basically ONE channel??
    The non inclusion of material such as GO!, ONEHD,7TWO is up to the broadcaster it seems.
    Here in the Central West of NSW, Prime said flatly they would NOT be carrying 7TWO before mid 2011 if at all. The same with GO!.
    But suddenly it appeared.
    Pressure from Viewers and advertisers perhaps?
    TV channels might ingnore you as a Viewer but advertisers need you so that could be a way of exerting pressure on any broadcaster.

Premium Member
    Thanks

I got my VAST box today after arriving back in the city. First impressions are not that good, with the box. I will however post a proper review when I get the commercial channels activated, which should be sometime tomorrow

For those interested, the card is an IRDETO v 5.7

• The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zacker For This Useful Post:

bambbbam (11-07-10),Farmsky (11-07-10),Fernbay (16-07-10),gordon_s1942 (12-07-10),husky61 (11-07-10),joezep (11-07-10),OSIRUS (12-07-10),viewer (12-07-10),Xplorer (11-07-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

Zacker, 2 questions when you are able to advise,
    were the ABC/SBS channels immediately available when the STB was turned on or needed a call?
    And without disclosing any personal details, what criteria did you need to get the commercial channels switched on?
    The question of the subsidy will be of interest too but at the moment, getting and operating are to me the most important.

Premium Member
    Thanks

1. ABS/SBS activated for a limited period of 60 days. It will stop working if not activated in that time.
    2. Commercial channels were not activated today so i'll let you know when this occurs

• The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zacker For This Useful Post:

Fernbay (16-07-10),gordon_s1942 (12-07-10),husky61 (12-07-10),mysticalchemist (14-07-10),OSIRUS (12-07-10),viewer (12-07-10)

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast