Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacom DVR16 help please !

Thanks

For the amount of time you've spent messing around you'd have been better off getting a new one. The best hardware in the world won't make it run any better as the card & it's software weren't designed to take advantage of it. It's a bit like shoving a Ferrari engine in a Datsun and expecting it to handle.

Pacom won't support anything they didn't build. Sure, the guts of your system was old and had seen better days, but what you've put in there now is not the spec the system was designed to run. The other issue you've got is that most of the guys at Pacom that actually knew the product went to Baxall along with the Hills Transmission guys a few years back. The new crew haven't had the experience to offer advice dealing with the quirks of the older systems.

If you get it running, I'd be interested to know. I don't like your chances though.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    For the amount of time you've spent messing around you'd have been better off getting a new one. The best hardware in the world won't make it run any better as the card & it's software weren't designed to take advantage of it. It's a bit like shoving a Ferrari engine in a Datsun and expecting it to handle.

Pacom won't support anything they didn't build. Sure, the guts of your system was old and had seen better days, but what you've put in there now is not the spec the system was designed to run. The other issue you've got is that most of the guys at Pacom that actually knew the product went to Baxall along with the Hills Transmission guys a few years back. The new crew haven't had the experience to offer advice dealing with the quirks of the older systems.

If you get it running, I'd be interested to know. I don't like your chances though.

Thanks for that - however, I only upgraded the system because the other m/b was stuffed. New systems are 3K plus. It cost me only $180 to do the internals (as we are an I.T Firm). Crazy buying a new unit and wasting that much. I don't care about performance at all - just want it stable. Maybe, I should just buy a later model capture card?

Thanks

Oh that explains it lol. Yes, it's a computer but it's a CCTV system. Your experience in IT means nothing :P. You mob don't like us mob playing with your toys, yet you insist you know more about ours than we do because they look a bit like yours.

Pacom won't sell you a card. If you want to repair it on the cheap, try EBAY. Funny though, a company will blow tens of thousands on deploying new workstations to replace items that are 3 years old in the interests of productivity but gripes about spending 3k to replace the faulty 7 year old DVR that protects it.

Forgive my Friday arvo sarcasm.
    Last edited by Drift; 09-07-10 at 04:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    Funny though, a company will blow tens of thousands on deploying new workstations to replace items that are 3 years old in the interests of productivity but gripes about spending 3k to replace the faulty 7 year old DVR that protects it.
    That is so true, this even applies to security systems. I went to see a client of mine who is in IT and had to serivce his EDM Digialarm 908 circa 1986. The thing is almost as old as I am. I gave him the option to upgrade ($600) and he said no?? WTF? So I used the same example you just pointed out and still no go. It must be I.T people in general. :P

Thanks

I tried telling a client to upgrade the other day as the system is about 12 years old. His boss told him there are no moving parts in it so it should never wear out

How can you argue with that?

• The Following User Says Thank You to Andrewpv01 For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (11-07-10)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpv01 View Post
    I tried telling a client to upgrade the other day as the system is about 12 years old. His boss told him there are no moving parts in it so it should never wear out

How can you argue with that?
    Easy, throw it out the window and yell "ITS MOVING NOW!"

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

kevin1341 (11-07-10)

Thanks

Tell him about the in every alarm panel.

When they insist that's an old myth, show them your can of smoke.

Thanks

r u still playing with this unit ... i may be able to assist

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MonstaM View Post
    r u still playing with this unit ... i may be able to assist
    It's an 8 year old thread and the OP hasn't visited the site for 6 years, so pointless dragging it back from the grave.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12