Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacom DVR16 help please !

Thanks

Default Pacom DVR16 help please !

Hi all,
    I am new - so please be gentle.. I have just purchased a second hand Pacom DVR16 and are having some issues.

The program wants to close down all the time. When I setup the program to 'defaults' - it runs fine, but every five minutes or so - the 'what do you want to do' box appears on the screen with the option to shutdown. i click no and it goes away - only to reappear about five minutes later.

If I go into the setup and set the options that I want (like different cameras, sensitivity etc) - then the machine automatically shuts downs (and reboots as I have the bios set that way) - every five minutes by itself ( no prompt on the screen).

So, i set the setup back to defaults again - and same thing - I get a prompt every five minutes to shut down again. Very frustrating..

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening please?

Also, can someone tell me where I can download the latest software for the Pacom unit? I recieved a disk with the software on it - but I am sure this is very old. Usually, with buggy behaviour like this - a software update fixes it?

What have i tried? I have uninstalled the software entirely and just left windows running for an hour - no issues. I then deleted the install directories so that there were no remaining links back to the software. i then re-installed the software, rebooted and all working perfectly - EXCEPT for the same issue - prompting to shutdown again?

Sure would appreciate some help here !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hepkat63 View Post
    Hi all,
    I am new - so please be gentle.. I have just purchased a second hand Pacom DVR16 and are having some issues.

The program wants to close down all the time. When I setup the program to 'defaults' - it runs fine, but every five minutes or so - the 'what do you want to do' box appears on the screen with the option to shutdown. i click no and it goes away - only to reappear about five minutes later.

If I go into the setup and set the options that I want (like different cameras, sensitivity etc) - then the machine automatically shuts downs (and reboots as I have the bios set that way) - every five minutes by itself ( no prompt on the screen).

So, i set the setup back to defaults again - and same thing - I get a prompt every five minutes to shut down again. Very frustrating..

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening please?

Also, can someone tell me where I can download the latest software for the Pacom unit? I recieved a disk with the software on it - but I am sure this is very old. Usually, with buggy behaviour like this - a software update fixes it?

What have i tried? I have uninstalled the software entirely and just left windows running for an hour - no issues. I then deleted the install directories so that there were no remaining links back to the software. i then re-installed the software, rebooted and all working perfectly - EXCEPT for the same issue - prompting to shutdown again?

Sure would appreciate some help here !!

Sounds like the watchdog part of the card is trying to reset the card. You said you got it secondhand. Was it working before?

How old is it? what operating system is on it?

Does it have more than one drive? Are they working properly?

You said you re-installed the software. Do you know how to configure the ibanks?

When you said latest software, there normally isn't. Each model uses a different capture card so software will only work with that particular version.

Saying that they do release patches to fix issues.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robpi View Post
    Sounds like the watchdog part of the card is trying to reset the card. You said you got it secondhand. Was it working before?

How old is it? what operating system is on it?

Does it have more than one drive? Are they working properly?

You said you re-installed the software. Do you know how to configure the ibanks?

When you said latest software, there normally isn't. Each model uses a different capture card so software will only work with that particular version.

Saying that they do release patches to fix issues.
    Thank you very much for the reply. Well, the guy 'said' it was working before hand - ..

Ok, it WAS running an old celeron CPU and board with Windows Embedded XP. The cpu was crap, keeping locking up and on boot had CPU overclocking errors. So, giving there are no celeron 2.4 - out it went. So, replaced motherboard, memory , cpu. Full format (after ghosting old software) - got XP working, updated and all stable. loaded the IDIS software - and the Ibanks part, I 'added' what it told me - rebooted and it started fine. All I did then was double click the 'icon' - ender idisman and changed to PAL.

Yes, I believe the card is trying to reset or shut down itself. I thought perhaps I found the answer, when I double clicked the icon to change to PAL, there was a 'shutdown automatically' tick box - so I unticked that - made no difference.

just keeps rebooting...

I have x016S version 1.61 written on the card - does that help?

Thanks

Thank you very much for the reply. Well, the guy 'said' it was working before hand - ..

Ok, it WAS running an old celeron CPU and board with Windows Embedded XP. The cpu was crap, keeping locking up and on boot had CPU overclocking errors. So, giving there are no celeron 2.4 - out it went. So, replaced motherboard, memory , cpu. Full format (after ghosting old software) - got XP working, updated and all stable. loaded the IDIS software - and the Ibanks part, I 'added' what it told me - rebooted and it started fine. All I did then was double click the 'icon' - ender idisman and changed to PAL.

Yes, I believe the card is trying to reset or shut down itself. I thought perhaps I found the answer, when I double clicked the icon to change to PAL, there was a 'shutdown automatically' tick box - so I unticked that - made no difference.

just keeps rebooting...

I have x016S version 1.61 written on the card - does that help?

I found this page: no idea what software to down load though - would it be the one under PCR4016 ?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

Have you checked the Windows logs? Application and System logs?

There may be some signs in there. Also put your meter across the PSU and watch for changes that could be prompting shut down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    Have you checked the Windows logs? Application and System logs?

There may be some signs in there. Also put your meter across the PSU and watch for changes that could be prompting shut down.

no, they are all fine. I uninstalled the software entirely, and downloaded the other software and it has not shutdown yet in over an hour - so it is definately the software issue. This software on there now is a little older by the look of it. Also, it complains about wibkey not installed or something - or webuy software? What is that - do you know? thanks for your help !

Thanks

no, they are all fine. I uninstalled the software entirely, and downloaded the other software and it has not shutdown yet in over an hour - so it is definately the software issue. This software on there now is a little older by the look of it. Also, it complains about wibkey not installed or something - or webuy software? What is that - do you know? thanks for your help !
    Oh, can you also explain what ibanks are please?

Thanks

Oh, can you also explain what ibanks are please?
    I haven't played with a PDR for a while, so I'm going off memory.

ibank is the file structure PDR's use to save their video files.

when you first load the software you will need to structure the hard drives with the maximum ibanks allowed. If you don't do this then the video won't be saved.

Ibank is a compressed way to move large files onto a disk etc.

for e.g if you had a few hours of footage to save as a .avi, you would find it wouldn't fit on a cd.

but, if you saved it as a ibank file, you can save a hole day on a disk. The only way to view the backup files is with pacom's viewer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by robpi View Post
    I haven't played with a PDR for a while, so I'm going off memory.

ibank is the file structure PDR's use to save their video files.

when you first load the software you will need to structure the hard drives with the maximum ibanks allowed. If you don't do this then the video won't be saved.

Ibank is a compressed way to move large files onto a disk etc.

for e.g if you had a few hours of footage to save as a .avi, you would find it wouldn't fit on a cd.

but, if you saved it as a ibank file, you can save a hole day on a disk. The only way to view the backup files is with pacom's viewer.
    Hi,
    thank you for that. I seem to have those configured now (had to do something will waiting for the australia/ghana game to start last night - but it seems my problem remains. The unit just keeps rebooting all the time. I have downloaded different versions of the software, but I am not sure what I am doing and what version to download. I have tried later versions and although they install ok - I can't change the Picture from NTSC to PAL. In the old software you can double click the logo, type in IDISMAN and you're in. With the newer version, there is no where I can see to change to PAL ?

Thanks

Sound nds like a problem we had a couple of months back, we send our unit back to Pacon. It turn out to a fault video card. if that helps.

Thanks

The IDIS cards are fussy buggers of things as is the supplied software. If you've upgraded your box, chances are the new equipment isn't compatible with the IDIS supplied drivers.

In any case, the capture card is likely shot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    The IDIS cards are fussy buggers of things as is the supplied software. If you've upgraded your box, chances are the new equipment isn't compatible with the IDIS supplied drivers.

In any case, the capture card is likely shot.
    I ended up formatting the whole thing and starting again. it is all stable until you turn up the recording quality to 640*480 then it reboots - so i changed out the video card and perfect, stable. The ONLY issue I have now is occassionally and for no reason at all the system tries to 'logout' out - that is like you click the 'shutdown' button in the interface and are then prompted to quit. I click 'cancel' and it goes away. Sometimes for the whole day, sometimes for an hour - but comes back again. So, I just 'move the dialog box of the screen !! Would anyone know why this would happen?

Thanks

I ended up formatting the whole thing and starting again. it is all stable until you turn up the recording quality to 640*480 then it reboots - so i changed out the video card and perfect, stable. The ONLY issue I have now is occassionally and for no reason at all the system tries to 'logout' out - that is like you click the 'shutdown' button in the interface and are then prompted to quit. I click 'cancel' and it goes away. Sometimes for the whole day, sometimes for an hour - but comes back again. So, I just 'move the dialog box of the screen !! Would anyone know why this would happen?
    The power switch on the front of a PDR16 would normally go to an input on the capture card, then an output from the capture card leads to where the power switch would normally plug into the motherboard.

When you press the power button on the front of the PDR16 it would prompt for you to shutdown, or to log out. Try checking that cable, or leaving it unplugged from the capture card.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmitchell View Post
    The power switch on the front of a PDR16 would normally go to an input on the capture card, then an output from the capture card leads to where the power switch would normally plug into the motherboard.

When you press the power button on the front of the PDR16 it would prompt for you to shutdown, or to log out. Try checking that cable, or leaving it unplugged from the capture card.
    Thanks _ I'll give that a try. I am back to the Video issues too. It all seems to be stable until I increase the resolution. Anything up above 320 and it reboots - takes about five minutes, but then keeps rebooting. Soon as I put it back to 320, it is fine. I have the recording quality at very high, so I tried putting the recording quality to medium and then moving up the resolutions to 640, but it still reboots. Crazy bloody thing is driving me mad. I have tried two different video cards. It is a good quality new motherboard and cpu with a gig of ram, so it is not a processing issue? Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks _ I'll give that a try. I am back to the Video issues too. It all seems to be stable until I increase the resolution. Anything up above 320 and it reboots - takes about five minutes, but then keeps rebooting. Soon as I put it back to 320, it is fine. I have the recording quality at very high, so I tried putting the recording quality to medium and then moving up the resolutions to 640, but it still reboots. Crazy bloody thing is driving me mad. I have tried two different video cards. It is a good quality new motherboard and cpu with a gig of ram, so it is not a processing issue? Any ideas?
    Try changing the power switch wires direct to the motherboard, if that doesnt help then it is most likely going to be a faulty capture card.
    The ones that I have seen fail normally just stop being recognised by the driver, but as a whole the PDR16 units were really only good for about 3 years before parts started breaking down.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michaelmitchell View Post
    Try changing the power switch wires direct to the motherboard, if that doesnt help then it is most likely going to be a faulty capture card.
    The ones that I have seen fail normally just stop being recognised by the driver, but as a whole the PDR16 units were really only good for about 3 years before parts started breaking down.
    Thanks for the reply. I have actually put a NEW (old stock) capture card in there too - so it can't be that. It did improve it - as it only puts the message on about twice a day now, then when I click it off - it doesn't seem to come back.

It is the video resolution really which is the issue. I just tried 640*240 and put to low as the quality and it lasted about 1/2 hour before rebooting - so now I am back to high quality 320*320 again. Could it be the wrong video card? It is a PCI expess 512mb one, so it should be ok?

Thanks

I never had any issues with replacing individual parts with new ones, eg. power supply or graphics card.

However I had never rebuilt one with a new motherboard. I just put a working capture card from a machine that had a faulty motherboard into a working machine with a faulty capture card.

Thanks

everyone else has had a go so i will to how big is the power supply in the pdr and im guessing its windows based not linux. like all the other guys sounds like a wierd problem but the more you push the machine the more it crashes just a thought these other guys like watchdog, drift and dandownunder know there stuff and are pretty quick to help. our company uses pacom alot and i have found them to be pretty unreliable but user friendly. cheap parts in my opinion although we are trying march networks soon if you good guys have any imput in that maybe a new thread would be good?
    Last edited by cazfredjack; 08-07-10 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I use March networks on a daily basis. Pretty solid DVR.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cazfredjack View Post
    everyone else has had a go so i will to how big is the power supply in the pdr and im guessing its windows based not linux. like all the other guys sounds like a wierd problem but the more you push the machine the more it crashes just a thought these other guys like watchdog, drift and dandownunder know there stuff and are pretty quick to help. our company uses pacom alot and i have found them to be pretty unreliable but user friendly. cheap parts in my opinion although we are trying march networks soon if you good guys have any imput in that maybe a new thread would be good?
    thanks for your reply. Well, I think the main issue is that I swapped out all old components. I have pacom several times for tech support and once they found out I swapped out the motherboard, memory, cpu and video card - they blame that. Fact is , the old motherboard was crap, dried capacitors, cpu cooked - so, we put in a good quality intel dual core motherboard/cpu and 2 gb of ram with a very good nvidia card. SCSI hdd , formatted with Win XP pro - updated all service packs.
    Reloaded the original software and put in a brand new 1.61 Pacom capture card. All worked perfectly. There are only two issues - one, is that randomly the 'do you want to quit' message appears on the screen (like you have turned the key to the right) and the second is that whenever you try to slide the resolution setting in setup to anything more than 320 * 320, it reboots after a few minutes and then keeps rebooting periodically (within a few minutes) till you put the setting back again.
    From what I can tell, the 'do you want to quit' message is being caused by the motherboard power being too much for the 1.61 card and it gets confused (pretty techincal i know..) , but the video card issue has got me stuffed. I am ordering an ATI card (rather than nVidia) as I figured maybe the chipset might have something to do with it. See how we go !!
    All that said, it is bloody ridiculous that you cannot upgrade a motherboard etc as above without getting so much hassle !

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast