Thread: ****GPS Signal Problems Double DIN especially IGO: Thread to fix it****

Thanks

Default ****GPS Signal Problems Double DIN especially IGO: Thread to fix it****

One will assume here you have basic menu browsing knowledge in the "Console" screen.

Igo8 is a fantastic navigation software. What I learnt is some double din units connect slower to the gps so if IGO8 loads up and beats it to the punch you will have never ending problems trying to connect.
    Once this occurs, Igo8 will try to connect and will not be successful or other times it connects only to drop out shortly when you try the auto detect.

Well this is the case with my unit which is a Masada 2440 built Double Din.

1. To rectify this problem I made sure I turned off "autorun" where I select the path of the exe file.
    2. This is so the GPS itself has time to connect to the satellites. You only need around 10 to 15 seconds.
    3. So after 10 to 15 seconds waiting at the "console" screen press the navigation button to runIgo8
    4. Eithet that or have your unit starting up into Radio or something else first rather than the GPS so his gives the GPS hardware time to connect first.

This worked everytime for me. By doing this it proved my theory above to be correct in my case.

***Other Things you can try which helps
    • Under the "console" you can click on the settings button and then go to gps
    • there is a reset button in there. It will reset the GPS and reconnect.
    • You can also reset the "Console" itself. This will reinitialise the "console" and reastablish a connection with the GPS too BUT.... make sure you know where to browse to change the language back to english as it resets to chinese lol. Not hard to do.
    • You can also try putting the entries into SYS.txt to set your baud rate and port but this never did anything for me.
      After you perform any of these steps always perform an "Autodetect" back in IGo8!

Things to take note of:
    NO GPS should take 20 minutes to connect. I dont care what anyone says. Thats baloney. If it does then there is something wrong. A good unit with a working external atenna should take no more than a few seconds on a good clear sky. Rarely you cant get atleast some signal. There should always be enough for atleast 2 dimensional positioning.

To sum up. Your Double DIN itself should connect to the GPS first. Some units especially the slower rated ones or older ones are slower.
    Igo8 works at the software level. Once the hardware side connects then Igo8will happily connect.
    If you load up Igo8 right away as soon as you turn the double din on then Igo8 will beat the hardware connection and think the GPS is not connecting or just does not communicate.

This is definately in my case. As I have tested it. I hope its majority of you guys too who have this minor problem.
    Last edited by drgtr; 21-06-10 at 07:14 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drgtr For This Useful Post:

remarkable (17-05-11),smartufo (17-05-11)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default gps "console" screen

Great post. So what do you do if your unable to access the "Console" screen? I'm trying to get the that specific screen. But my gps or menus will not allow me to. I have or had wince 5 on it. Then one day it stopped working. Need help.
    Thanks

Thanks

Quote:
    ""Things to take note of:
    NO GPS should take 20 minutes to connect. I dont care what anyone says. Thats baloney. If it does then there is something wrong. A good unit with a working external atenna should take no more than a few seconds on a good clear sky. Rarely you cant get atleast some signal. There should always be enough for atleast 2 dimensional positioning.""

Bazzle

Thanks

Default gps signal problem . No "console" screen/menu

So how do I get that " console " screen back to load? My gps is not starting up. Does anyone know how to ?

Thanks

This is an old thread but I also have an issue with iGO8 and a Chineese din2 unit.

I managed to sort out and solve all issues but one..... The GPS signal is too weak..... It shows connection but weak signal. I even disconnected the GPS receiver and performed auto detect and it still claims to be connected and the signal stength is the same as with the receiver connected?

Is this the same "starting up too quickly issue" or maybe a bad receiver?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    This is an old thread but I also have an issue with iGO8 and a Chineese din2 unit.

I managed to sort out and solve all issues but one..... The GPS signal is too weak..... It shows connection but weak signal. I even disconnected the GPS receiver and performed auto detect and it still claims to be connected and the signal stength is the same as with the receiver connected?

Is this the same "starting up too quickly issue" or maybe a bad receiver?
    I think you may have answered your own question. Get a new one, borrow one, and see what transpires.

"some" from what Ive read with older aerials have a battery in them that eventually goes flat. Newer ones are powered by the unit..

Bazzle
    Last edited by bazzle01; 06-10-11 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazzle01 View Post
    I think you may have answered your own question. Get a new one, borrow one, and see what transpires.

"some" from what Ive read with older aerials have a battery in them that eventually goes flat. Newer ones are powered by the unit..

Bazzle
    OK,
    I bought an "Amplified" one on eBay today, I bet it's powered by the device. Also, the Battery icon in the lower left corner shows low battery. Maybe that is for the reciever? I assumed it was an unused icon that only worked on a handheld device, but perhaps not?

Thanks Bazzle

Russ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by russman View Post
    OK,
    I bought an "Amplified" one on eBay today, I bet it's powered by the device. Also, the Battery icon in the lower left corner shows low battery. Maybe that is for the reciever? I assumed it was an unused icon that only worked on a handheld device, but perhaps not?

Thanks Bazzle

Russ

Yes, that symbol is for the device NOT the gps aerial. It doesnt always mean anything as it can just show as an icon depending on skin etc.

Thanks

Quote:
    ""Things to take note of:
    NO GPS should take 20 minutes to connect. I dont care what anyone says. Thats baloney. If it does then there is something wrong. A good unit with a working external atenna should take no more than a few seconds on a good clear sky. Rarely you cant get atleast some signal. There should always be enough for atleast 2 dimensional positioning.""

Bazzle
    Bassle,
    Can you explain how to load the software in the link on to my stereo? The must be a way but I am very green at these devices.

Thanks

The new amplified reciever did no good.......
    I have tried these steps suugested in this and other threads
    In IGog
    Tap settings
    Tap Arrow to go to second page
    Tap GPS
    "GPS Enabled" is ticked, untick this
    Tap Autodetect

Didn't work, when "GPS enabled" is unchecked, you cannot use auto detect

You two ways.

Inside the console click on the settings button and go
    to GPS you can reset the GPS from there.

If not then go to settings and go to the
    bottom and click on system. Reset the console but
    take note the reset makes the console into chinese.
    Easy to change back to english. Just take note of where to change the language to english.

Also no joy

To rectify this problem I made sure I turned off "autorun" where
    I select the path of the exe file.
    This is so the GPS itself has time to connect to the satellites.
    You only need around 10 to 15 seconds.
    So after 10 to 15 seconds waiting at the "console" screen press the
    navigation button to runIgo8
    Eithet that or have your unit starting up into Radio or something else
    first rather than the GPS so his gives the GPS hardware time to connect first.

Also no good but it did slow the process down

Based on the info in the "tweaking and testing" link above I am getting an NMEA signal just a weak one. The console shows the data stream and occasionally I'll get one bar with a low number (24-32) in the GPS display screen in iGO (tap the batt/sat icon in the lower left corner then tap GPS in the lower right of the next screen)

Should I try a Sirf III reciever? Would it even work? I have a couple of them but they are USB.....

Thanks

Where are you Russman? What brand is your unit?, how old etc
    In the win ce gps section on some units you should be able to see the sattelites.
    Can you? before you open igo or any other gps prog.
    If in igo you are seeing a signal its not an igo issue but one of the gps receiver.

Bazzle

Thanks

Where are you Russman? What brand is your unit?, how old etc
    In the win ce gps section on some units you should be able to see the sattelites.
    Can you? before you open igo or any other gps prog.
    If in igo you are seeing a signal its not an igo issue but one of the gps receiver.

Bazzle
    I'm in the US
    No name Chinese brand
    I bought it used a couple of weeks ago, not sure how old but it is running WinCE 6.0
    When I am in the console, before starting iGO, it shows a data stream, the signal indicator is not lit up at all.
    The console is what seems to be typical on these stereos, you have an icon to reset the GPS, one to display data stream, one to coordinates, and one to display signal strength.
    Signal strength shows no bars, but I do have a data stream, so I'm convinced that it has a signal, just a very weak one......
    So, even before I start iGo, it has a very weak signal....
    I'm becoming tempted to open the unit and check the connection between the female SMA jack and the GPS unit itself.

Thanks

Good luck.

Bazzle

Thanks

Good luck.

Bazzle
    Thanks Bazzle!