Thread: DS Lite help please

Thanks

Smile DS Lite help please

Hi,

My son just got a DS Lite for his B'day.

Was hoping I could get straightened out with the internet access.

I have a Netgear wireless router providing WIFI access. Do I just need to get a online play game such as Mario kart and plug it in to play online?

I assume I'll have to set up an IP in the router for the DS or am I on the wrong track?

I read (if I understood right) that you can get a game cartridge to allow internet browsing. Is it as easy as plugging the game in?

I have also read about a usb lead but it does not appear to have one. It has a skt that looks almost like one but it is for the charger and a usb plug wont quite fit.

Thankyou in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I know very little about them (even though my son has one), but when I setup a wireless network for some friends, and they asked about their son being able to use his DS on it, I did a bit of searching online.

What I found was that it doesn't support WPA, only WEP. So unless you're in the middle of nowhere, where there's no chance of anyone receiving your wireless network, I wouldn't.

There's a wireless USB dongle thingy available, and they had one of those, but I wasn't able to get it working on their desktop machine in the time that I had available. But I did set it up temporarily on my notebook, to see if it'd work (which it did).

Thanks

Thanks for the reply.

I live on a few acres so it wouldnt worry me.

So I guess it could work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redstorm View Post
    I have a Netgear wireless router providing WIFI access. Do I just need to get a online play game such as Mario kart and plug it in to play online?

I assume I'll have to set up an IP in the router for the DS or am I on the wrong track?
    You'll need an online game to do any of the online set up. It doesn't matter which game it is as it saves the settings in the system. I'll guessing you will have to set up an IP in the router, but as the other poster said only WEP, with the DS. They are a bitch to set up when I've tried so gave up, when I find an open port somewhere I usually "borrow" their net and grab the online stuff I need.

I read (if I understood right) that you can get a game cartridge to allow internet browsing. Is it as easy as plugging the game in?
    The "Opera" Browser. Firstly its awful. Secondly you need to have the internet access set up to work with it (see above). If you have that going it will work and I have tried it out with the work connections but I wouldn't recommend it. Oh to run it you need an expansion cart (if you buy the browser you get this) so if you run an R4 cart or something else be warned it may not work.

I have also read about a usb lead but it does not appear to have one. It has a skt that looks almost like one but it is for the charger and a usb plug wont quite fit.

Thankyou in advance.
    The DS only comes with a charger, extra stylus and of course the DS. Only thing I've seen is a USB cable that charges the DS. There is no USB cable that actually has DS access that I know of.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

Thanks Roguefan99.

Very informative.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

If I am using a DSTT with my DS lite can you get wireless access throu that
    and a compatible game that i find on the net or do you have to
    go buy a genuine game

cheers
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

I dont know about the DSTT, but I can access the net though an online compatible game on an R4 cart, so I would expect you can do it on the DSTT. I don't think Nintendo can actually do a check like Microsoft do with Xbox Live, but not 100% sure. I checked to see if I could link up on Tetris and found a game though that.

I actually used a patched Opera browser, and a Supercard Lite to get on the net and test the Opera browser.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

roguefan99 thanks mate this has been bugging me for a while now
    Do you know the name of other games that are online compatible?
    I'll go and see if I can find a copy of Tetris

cheers
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Anything these days pretty well is, Nintendo used to have a site with them all on but has stopped. Ones I have tried are

Mario Kart
    Professor Layton
    ClubHouse games

The Nintendo site is here

Might also help people out with connections. BTW I've never been able to connect to it in an EB store even though they say you can.