Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Telstra Bigpond

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Hi Sanity the strange thing is I've also got Bigpond 8000 at work which I'm using at the moment and it's going flat out 1.3 - 1.4 mbs and it does all day every day. I rang home and the speed currently is hovering arround 20 - 50 kbs now thats cr*p. Both places are about the same distance from the exchange ?

Mickstv

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    Hi Sanity the strange thing is I've also got Bigpond 8000 at work which I'm using at the moment and it's going flat out 1.3 - 1.4 mbs and it does all day every day. I rang home and the speed currently is hovering arround 20 - 50 kbs now thats cr*p. Both places are about the same distance from the exchange ?

Mickstv
    I think it has something to do with where your connected, something to do with a rim, I think this is the grey round device in the street where all the phones are connected, depending on how many spare slots are in there will effect speeds, dropouts etc, whether with telestra or not.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dungbeetle46 For This Useful Post:

mickstv (25-08-10)

Thanks

Sounds like a call to telstra whilst the speed is really bad and they can see the problem whilst it's occuring and sort out a solution.

Mickstv

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Sounds like a call to telstra whilst the speed is really bad and they can see the problem whilst it's occuring and sort out a solution.

Mickstv
    Bahahahahah, funniest joke i've heard all day!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post

Yeah I thought everyone would like that one lol.

Mickstv

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Mickstv
    A bit of a strange one, but as Dingbeetle suggested, are you on a rim ?

This what my problem is. New estate, almost first in, 8mb adsl full speed. Cut back to 1.5mb when I had to do a bit of budgeting, estate continues to fill with houses. Switched back to 8mb and speeds are no where near as fast. Thought maybe an Internode issue, churned to Telstra 8 mb and speeds are exactly the same.

Instead of a line to the exchange, all house go in to to a rim box, then to exchange. In effect, the more people the less speed. Is there anyway you could be on a rim ?

I am over 4km to the exchange and cant get ADSL2 but could get full 8mb before all the houses were built.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mickstv (25-08-10)

Administrator
    Thanks

Mick go to this site and put your number in.
    When the map comes up, press the heatmap button and see if there is any reduced speed where your house is. Then click rim information, it should let you know if you are on one.

• The Following User Says Thank You to admin For This Useful Post:

mickstv (25-08-10)

Thanks

Thanks Sanity will do that when I get home.

Mickstv

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sanity View Post
    Thats not always the case. I was Aanet and every night from 4pm to 11pm and every weekend speeds would die in the arse. I churned to Internode and that was the end up the problem. I put it down to be over subscribed and speeds would suffer when school kids were out of school.

Maybe your exchange isnt handling the load ? It sounds like it also might have " school kid syndrome " ?
    Bugger me!! I had the same problem with them, I must have sent the useless twats 500 speed tests over 6 mths, Geeeee I hated student free days!! Changed to Aussiebroadband and problem solvered.

Im now started to wish I hadnt decided to do a rapid transfer to Bigpond,signed up on the 4th have just recieved router, no sign of the Tbox, and at least 8 hrs wasted on the phone while they find out why the order is either lost, cancelled, or just plain F**ked up.
    Still, things can only get better

Thanks

When the map comes up, press the heatmap button and see if there is any reduced speed where your house is. Then click rim information, it should let you know if you are on one.
    Hmm My RIM isn't on that map for some reason. Its definately still there, drove past it today.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

These RIM's are the those cylinders your talking about if they are we haven't got any anywhere in the area, being an old area of town they have only got pits in the ground. And on the website not much comes up.

Thanks

Nope RIMs arent the cylinders, they are just normal junctions (someone will correct me, seeing I cant remember the name). RIMs are EGB (Evil Green Boxes) that are usually hidden in a park or around a corner out of the way. They will have a DAXXX or CAXXX number on it and a four letter code (mine is DA011 and code is something like BGHN) if non-ADSL or 5 letter code if ADSL compatible. There are different sort of cabinets for different generations but they look something like this

Also you can always tell that they are telstra because they have a white warning sticker saying they are monitored (which I doubt!)
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

• The Following User Says Thank You to roguefan99 For This Useful Post:

mickstv (25-08-10)

Administrator
    Thanks

Yeah, unfortunately its not an always up to date site and can only be really used as a guide but its the only one I know of. If anyone knows another please post it up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Well it might have been the funniest joke you've heard all day but i'll have the last laugh. The Bigpond van turned up today the tech saw how shit the connection was he went away and came back a couple of hours later problem fixed. He found a problem at the exchange, most likely too many people on the one line.

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 31-08-10 at 09:25 PM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

Administrator
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    pfft bigpuddle ... ya lucky first up sanity .. give it time ! I say 3 -4 weeks .. and ya won't be so happy ! 99% of broadband issues are with bigpond
    4 months on I am extremely happy......price is great, the connection has been faultless.

Thanks

4 months on I am extremely happy......price is great, the connection has been faultless.
    About 2 month for mine, full speed all the time. Go BIGPOND........

Mickstv

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,648 Posts

Ive connected home phone and internet with Telstra now, unlimited landline and mobile calls with 200gb internet.

Phones got done yesterday.

They promised i would not be without internet at all during changeover when organizing contract and when organizing change over date with their call center, i thought great.

Yesterday they did the changeover at 10am, lost the internet and after spending 4 hours on hold was told the internet will be running in 3 working days.

Bloody great (sarcasm)

Lucky i worked out how to tether our iphones to our laptops, now watch our mobile phone internet usage go through the roof for the next 3 days.

Pain in the arse for our ebay, no connection, no sales, lots of angry customers waiting for replies and goods.......

I hope this is not a sign of things to come.

Thanks

bigpond mail unaccessable, today rang em an got the run around told em i wont pay my bill until i have email access, stuipid twat says change your password, why i ask it worked yesterday, web surfing is ok but the bigpond server wont play, more freaking time down the drain

Administrator
    Thanks

anyone , you really should look at using a non isp email service. They are always unreliable and you are stuck with that isp if you use their email address.

Thanks

thanks for the tip, i do use a couple of off site emails but they are not linked, so from time to time i check bigpond ,my speeds are good but that mail server is that laggy i feel i am on dialup

• Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast