Thread: Using a DVB-S without a CAM to receive encrypted channels?

Thanks

Default Using a DVB-S without a CAM to receive encrypted channels?

Is this possible? I am think about purhasing a DVB-S with an CAM CI module, but after a bit of thought and the possibility of CS with my dreambox it has me wondering. Can a purchase a DVB-S (without a CI) to receive my encrypted channels by using my valid sub card, CS with my CS server?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

... yes ... you can receive 'payTV' channels on a PB based DVB-S card or USB device ...

I have a SkyStar 2 USB DVB receiver (size of a pack of cigs) and use DVBviewer (can buy for €15) with some additional plug-ins (and NDS emmu) on my laptop with a pheonix USB card reader + NDS card = full service with full features of PVR / timeshift , etc, etc ...

If you already have the 'kit' its ok - but its much cheaper to buy a DM500s and do same without the added expense

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eyesee View Post
    ... yes ... you can receive 'payTV' channels on a PB based DVB-S card or USB device ...

I have a SkyStar 2 USB DVB receiver (size of a pack of cigs) and use DVBviewer (can buy for €15) with some additional plug-ins (and NDS emmu) on my laptop with a pheonix USB card reader + NDS card = full service with full features of PVR / timeshift , etc, etc ...

If you already have the 'kit' its ok - but its much cheaper to buy a DM500s and do same without the added expense
    Thanks eyesee! I am purchasing a Home Theatre PC which is why I am thinking about purchasing a DVB-S card.

Thanks

... if you go that route ... beware not all DVB-S cards are equal ...

1. Ensure that your card has BDA drivers
    2. Check-out the sensitivity of the tuner on the DVB-S some of these receivers have 'crap' sensitivity because they use 1st gen tuners (use google and search for reviews)
    3. Make sure your card runs 'cool' - some DVB-S cards overheat due to poor design.

Once you covered all of these ... you might want to consider wether you should get a HD capable card. I am not sure if 'Oz will be using H262 for HD ... if so then you will want a card supporting this commonly known as an S2 capable card...

Finally a good search for software - my findings pointed me to DVBviewer - not the latest version as the most recent ones have changed their plugin setup / support. Lots of google required here .. but there anr many sources of good information :-)
    Last edited by eyesee; 30-03-08 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling