Thread: Exetel Infringment Notice

Thanks

Default Exetel Infringment Notice

Hey guys my old man just received an e-mail from exetel stating he's broken protocol by using P2P.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar strife with them or other ISP'S.

How serious did they take it and what action did they take also?

I'm going to get him a new ISP as well.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
    M3NAC3
    "Welcome to the internet. Where your opinion is valid, but never valued."

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Tell him to take his business elsewhere I reckon

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 4,171 Times in 1,771 Posts

I had a similar problem with an ISP several years ago, so I desisted from downloading movies and music using P2P facilities. Simple solution to legal problem!

This is what happens ....

When using a P2P program such as uTorrent, for example, one can see the IP addresses of other users, who are contributing to the torrent.

Just as you can see the details, so can anyone else, including movie and music publishing companies or their representatives, seeking to discover who is accessing copyright material without paying for it. After all, it is depriving them of potential income, so they want to stop as much of it as they can.

Armed with the IP addresses mentioned above, a simple "WhoIs" leads them to the ISP, whose service was used at the time.

ISP's don't usually regard themselves as "Internet Policemen" therefore they generally don't care about such things.
    However, when a publishing/distribution company detects someone using P2P to download copyright programs such as movies and music, they or their legal representatives send details to the ISP concerned, advising of the detected activity - no doubt threatening legal action also.
    The ISP in turn usually contacts the client and advises them that they have been detected downloading copyrighted material and appends an appropriate warning to desist in future. This is what took place in my case.

Changing ISP's simply means that you are starting afresh with a "clean slate". (As far as the new ISP is concerned, you haven't, as yet, offended).

It's a bit like speeding, isn't it?
    If you exceed the speed limit, you run the risk of detection and then being penalised. If you drive within the speed limit, there is no excessive speed to detect. Buying a different car solves nothing.
    Last edited by tristen; 29-06-10 at 08:43 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Good reply tristen..well done.

Thanks

i use exetel and i remember them sending me an email after the iinet case stating that exetel themselves would not pursue copyright infringements.....ill dig around for the email.

NS

****EDIT****

Found it!

Dear Username

For the past five plus years, I can't exactly remember when we commenced doing it, Exetel has passed on to end users copyright infringement notices we receive from reputable agencies.

We have also then blocked internet access until the customer has clicked the button on the 'block page' acknowledging that they have received the infringement notice and either complied with it or denied the allegation.

Following the current court ruling by Justice Cowdroy in the Federal Court last Thursday we will modify this practice in the near future. We will continue to send any infringement notice we receive in the future but before the end of February we will not require the user to acknowledge receipt of it nor will we temporarily block the customer's internet access. We will continue to send the infringement notices because we believe it's in the best interests of the person who pays for the internet service to know what other entities believe the service is being used for. Many users who pay for the connection (and are therefore liable for how it is used and what it is used for, do not always know how their service is being used and we believe they should be informed.

Subject to final legal advice, and re-coding time and testing, we will in future simply send the infringement notice to the registered 'owner' of the service together with this cover email:

Dear [ ],

A copyright infringement notice has been sent to Exetel that states that your Exetel IP (internet connection) has been used to acquire material the breaches copyright.

You do not need to take any action except to be aware that, if you or some member of your household are in fact using your internet connection to infringe another party’s copyright, they have been able to detect that action and could, at some time in the future should they wish to do so, involve themselves in the legal and other costs of taking some action against you.

Again, you are not required to take any action regarding this infringement notice and it is sent to you as a courtesy in case usage of the internet connection in your name is being used in ways unknown to you.

Exetel Provisioning
    Last edited by NoService; 29-06-10 at 10:08 PM.
    The Early Bird May Get The Worm But Its The Second Mouse That Gets The Cheese!

• The Following User Says Thank You to NoService For This Useful Post:

m3nac3 (30-06-10)

Thanks

Get a few emails weekly off exetel about copyright infringement, all they do is pass them on from the agency and send them to you no action is taken.

They are always American companies usually viacom so you tell them to f*ck off they dont seem to get the idea but.

• The Following User Says Thank You to htr_toucan For This Useful Post:

m3nac3 (30-06-10)

Thanks

Print the email out and wipe your arse with it.
    Then if your game, send it back by snail mail.

Thanks

I do not know.... but usually ISP's have to at least send and e-mail because of pressure from external sources. (so they are being seen as doing something)

Don't respond.
    change to private p2p (whatever that might be) again no guarantee
    wait 24 hours/continue as normal.

Thanks

Just use a proxy

Cheers

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by m3nac3 View Post
    Hey guys my old man just received an e-mail from exetel stating he's broken protocol by using P2P.

Just wondering if anyone has had any similar strife with them or other ISP'S.

How serious did they take it and what action did they take also?

I'm going to get him a new ISP as well.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
    M3NAC3
    When i was with exetel I also recieved a warning stating that i had been using p2p programs and if the matter should come up again they would cancel my contract. Exetel in my opinion were incredibly dodgy with everything though, completely unproffesional. I've never recieved that warning before on any other isp. also could just be coincidence but the day after i signed up with them i started recieving telemarketing calls once every couple days for months on end (my phone number wasnt listed in phone books although i know they can get them from other places, ie census).

Thanks

Got one from Dodo once simlar No Service's email, it didnt stop me using utorrent, i am now on iprimus adsl2, and using utorrent a lot more, i dont think primus gives a shit

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
    Wouldn't that be smell mail

Thanks

Once you get a new ISP, you don't need to stop downloading what you want! Download a program like AltBinz (what i use), then signup for a monthly USENET service. They are 20 or more times faster, MUCH MORE unlimited content and once you get the hang of it, a lot easier to get anything you want.

Some popular choices: or

You can search for content at or

Cheers
    RoOSTA

Thanks

Peerblock + private torrent sites .. and ya be right .. public trackers/sites asking for trouble !
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Use peer gaurdian it stops your IP from being grabbed by those who are looking at p2p sites.

I use it for tv programs where we get half a season and then it stops and leaves us sitting mid program un-finnished.
    One series stopped for 3 years before we got to see the rest of the program.
    As for movies buy the DVD or rent it its better quality than the downloads.
    Thats my thoughts. Good luck with Exetell

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGoat View Post
    Yeah such smart advice to get yourself then charged with a federal criminal offence.