Thread: Chinese PNA iGO Primo GPS Problem Solved

Thanks

Default Chinese PNA iGO Primo GPS Problem Solved

This fixes a problem I have had with intermittent operation of iGO on a Chinese PNA. If the PNA was started
    inside it would show no satellite or altitude information when taken outside. In use, if satellite contact
    was lost it would often not recover. The GPS information page was often frozen showing only one or two satellites.
    I have noticed other users with similar problems.

This modification was carried out on a Chinese 5" style PNA / PND. It runs WinCE 6.0 The CPU is a Centrality
    Atlas IV 533MHz with 64Mb ram. The CPU also contains an integrated SiRF GPS receiver. IGO Primo is loaded on
    the micro SD card. (works great with Nuance TTS on the 64Mb ram)

After the modification it will often start navigating inside. Outside it tracks all satellites visible. The
    GPS information page is always changing and often shows up to 12 satellites.

The modification adds a buffering program into the link beween the inbuilt GPS engine and a navigation program,
    in this case iGO PRIMO. Port Splitter by JAL is used to buffer data between the inbuilt GPS
    and iGO (Primo) running on the PNA.

To tie it all together a MortScript is used. This is used to start Port Splitter then iGO. Before starting Port
    Splitter the configuration file is refreshed. This means if the program crashes, on the next restart all
    setting are correct.
    The PNA has com1 (4800bd) as the GPS. Port Splitter processes this to com5. So set the GPS port in iGO
    sys.txt to com5.

To carry out this modification you will need ActiveSync to connect to the PNA. Along with
    CeRegEditor, a registry editor for all devices based on PocketPC2003, WindowsMobile, WindowsCE.

The Port Splitter CAB cannot be installed by the cutdown version of WinCE 6.0 on the PNA. I used
    MSCEInf to pull the CAB apart. MSCEInf is a utility to find and analyse all the data contained in
    installation CAB files.
    Install the components and registry entries by hand.

Registry entries to be added:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JAL\Port Splitter: InstallPath REG_SZ \ResidentFlash\Port Splitter
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JAL\Port Splitter: MajorVersion REG_DWORD 1

Files to be added, located in: \ResidentFlash\Port Splitter
    extvsplit.dll - from psppc2003.PPC2003_ARM.CAB
    Port Splitter.exe - from psppc2003.PPC2003_ARM.CAB
    (Settings.dat) - This is generated by Port Splitter or loaded by MortScript.

Files to be added, located in: \SDMMC (card where iGO is installed)
    MortScript.exe - version 4.1
    StartNav.exe - MortRunner.exe
    StartNav.mscr - The script
    PSinit.dat - Copy of Port Script Settings.dat file to be reloaded.

The Script:
    Copy( "\SDMMC\PSinit.dat", "\ResidentFlash\Port Splitter\Settings.dat", "overwrite")
    if (ProcExists ("Port Splitter.exe") = 0)
    Run ("\ResidentFlash\Port Splitter\Port Splitter.exe")
    endif
    Sleep 2000
    #Minimize ("Port Splitter")
    if (ProcExists ("iGO.exe") = 0)
    RunWait("\SDMMC\Primo\iGO.exe")
    endif

Final Bit:
    Point navigation button to StartNav.exe
    Set the GPS port in iGO sys.txt to com5.
    If you need to use different ports for Port Splitter, run it manually and stop it then use the
    exit button to generate a new settings file. Then copy file to PSint.dat

I would be interested if this fixed some of the problems on 2 Din units. They would need to have ActiveSync
    connectivity.
    Files here:

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hey, great instructions but no luck for me.

I have exactly same problem, no connectivity , or lousy one-two satellites showing.

In my case im trying to run iGo8 (8.3.4) on a generic chinese pna with wince 4.2. Portsplitter does the job changing the port, but that seem to have no influence on iGo.

Any suggestions?

Tnx

UPDATE: It worked when splitting on COM9 (output), but now i have a problem with saving the settings. Portsplitter doesnt want to save COM9 output (saves all other COMx outputs, but only 9 works for me)... Ive deleted settings.dat, set the COM9 output, saved settings.dat to another location (similar to ur script, PSinit.dat in mortscript folder) but portsplitter doesnt want to load settings...
    Last edited by pmili; 20-09-10 at 03:50 AM. Reason: UPDATE

Thanks

Hi pmili,

Sounds like you are having 'fun'.
    I can't add much more. My only thoughts from your update is some other program is claiming COM9.
    Before using this I had what I called the rachet effect. If started outside with clear sky the unit started and ran OK, but if it lost satellites it never regained them. - as in it would only rachet down but not up.

all the best

Thanks

The Win ce6 in my wifes car always works and navigated ok BUT when 1st turning on does not show alt or number of sats.
    If you go into the menus and turn off gps and then reconnect all is shown.
    Luckily it functions as it should at all other times. This is the same on all the igo and Primos Ive tried.

Not worying about it anymore. If I need alt I just do the menu switch.

My ce5 in my car is faultless (atm)

Bazzle

Thanks

Hey traveller99, I honestly didnt want to drop this thing, so i ve contacted the author of port splitter. And guess what, it turns out that not saving settings for COM9 problem was a bug in port splitter. The guy replaced it with the new version and now it works.

Ive even made my own shell for startup, so i dont have to start frm desktop. Instead i have a couple of icons on a Windows Bliss, with a power button and all...
    like this

updated port splitter down here

Last edited by pmili; 28-09-10 at 10:07 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to pmili For This Useful Post:

viper000 (04-10-11)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pmili View Post
    Hey traveller99, I honestly didnt want to drop this thing, so i ve contacted the author of port splitter. And guess what, it turns out that not saving settings for COM9 problem was a bug in port splitter. The guy replaced it with the new version and now it works.

Ive even made my own shell for startup, so i dont have to start frm desktop. Instead i have a couple of icons on a Windows Bliss, with a power button and all...
    like this
    Hi pmili, nice to see your startup. well done on the solving the problem. The unit I had problems with was marked eroda. I bought it because of the speed of the processor, but it ran like a dog with igo. The display was very jerky and far behind actual position. After searching around I came across a Lexand unit that had identical specs. The website had a firmware recovery download. Crossed fingers and ran it. Unit fixed, except for the ratchet effect.

Thanks

I have a Chinese brand GPS, with Chinese map, i want to use it when i go to South Africa. I tried to load I GO but don't know how.. i loaded all the files on the memory card (i bought a 8meg) do i have to delete the existing map??
    Please all advice will be appreciated.