Thread: Win7 - Windows Explorer slow & not responding

Thanks

Default Win7 - Windows Explorer slow & not responding

got a problem on my main machine
    i always ran windowblinds on this machine because i am into GUI's and like a nice looking system
    the other day i decided to give uxtheme patch a go (windowblinds and uxtheme patch both "skin" your system to look differently) and so i unloaded windowblinds and ran a uxtheme patch, this is when the trouble started.
    the uxtheme patch overwrites 3 files in your system 32 folder (it also just renames the original files so you dont lose them) so that you can use unsigned windows themes.
    somewhere i think this failed but i thought it was all cool because i knew i could just go back into the sys32 folder and go back to the original files (i have done this several times with my laptop which is currently running a uxtheme patch fine)
    since i ran the patch my windows explorer has been running like a 2 legged dog.
    when i open explorer up and try to look at a drive it takes 30sec to a minute and takes the same to open any folder after that, and when I click the folder again because its not responding the window goes white and gives a “not responding” message but if I then leave it for a little longer the folder then opens
    I have restarted the computer in safe mode and the problem dosnt exist.
    My question is, how can I determine what is causing this?
    I have uninstalled windowblinds, the uxtheme patch and even gone back to windows classic look but the problem wont go away.
    Help!

p.s. the computer runs fine with other programs, it seems to be just windows explorer and anything related to that.
    Last edited by osiris777; 30-06-10 at 05:23 PM.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

System Restore ?

Thanks

you know what, that actually worked!
    i did look at system restore but the earliest point was after the problems started so i wasnt gonna bother but then you said that so i thought what the hell and tried anyway and now its all good!
    first time ive ever used one too.
    ...In Somnis Veritas...