Thread: average lifespan of a dvd+/-r

Thanks

Default average lifespan of a dvd+/-r

anyone know what sort of lifespan you can expect to get out of a dvd+ or -r? I have some dvd-r's with data on them, burnt back in 2003 and they still going good. Been stored away.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Its a good question and one I would say that varies.

I got a CD burner when they first came out ( man it was pricey ) and the cost of blank media was expensive so I would mainly buy discs that were cheaper or on special.
    Most of those cheapie now cant be read while some of the better brands can.

Storage is a major part as you mentioned, keep them out of sunlight. And my suggestion is dont buy the cheapest out there as you get what you pay for.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Manufacturing quality and chemical formulation of the dye play a big part.

Sanity is correcty definitely keep them out of direct sunlight and in a low humidity enviroment will make them last longer.

I remember a few years back buying from WES a cheap spindle pack They got sent back because of the poor build quality even the dye layer was patchy. Trust the name brands but don't buy the brand names from any of these 2 dollar shops as they will be rejected stock from the manufacture.

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 07-07-10 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks

I still have my first cdr 650mb was in 90's ('95/96 i think???) cost $21.95 (from memory) should see if it still loads. as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for (in most cases)

As for DVD's, I have bought cheaper brands a few years ago, and they are completely unreadable now.

edit: was a good question so grain of salt but

" from 30 to 100 years for DVD-R and DVD+R discs and up to 30 years for DVD-RW, DVD+RW and DVD-RAM...blah blah blah"
    Last edited by z1gg33; 07-07-10 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks

thanks for the info, im making a few backups of older dvds I have, just to keep my data safe. Always good to have 2 copies of your data.

I have had dvds with some data unreadable due to scratches, usually the outter part of the disk. Believe it or not, but the old silver polish seems to do a good job at cleaning them up enough to retrieve the data. Car scratch removal stuff with a soft cloth also works.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,106 Times in 490 Posts

I love TY media. There are some fakes out and about, but all the ones I have bought from PCX are still going strong (even with three kids under 10!)
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom." - Issac Asimov

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,414 Times in 2,517 Posts

Last edited by Uncle Fester; 09-07-10 at 10:58 PM.

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Back around 2000 I started burning music onto Sony CD-R media.

Some years later I found some of these discs, long since forgotten about. One was outside in the carport in a cardboard box. It must have got wet. There were large pieces of the top layer that had peeled off the plastic (rendering it stuffed).

I've found others of this brand also with the silver layer peeling off that could not have possibly got wet or damp.

Their claim of "Optical Excellence" [logo on the disc] sure doesn't apply here!

I don't remember the brand, but I've had CDs that have developed tiny pin-holes in the silver layer. Hold it up to the light and it's like looking at the stars.

For the last few years I've been exclusively using Imation media. I see my local supplier now has a brand called "Memorex".

Looking at the label on the side of the container, the address for the manufacturer is '1 Imation Way, Oakdale, Minnesota'.

I Googled it and it seems Imation bought the Memorex brand a few years back. Here's hoping this media is as good as their name brand discs.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Those 'pin holes' gareth mentioned are actualy 'Rust'. From what I read the edges of the two strata's werent sealed correctly and allowed air to penetrate, not unlike so called 'Concrete Cancer' where the Reo is air exposed.
    Do Blu-Ray come in this 'Will last forever (exceptions will apply)' catagory or do they only have a yet unknown life time?
    The next question to ask is about Memory Cards,Pen drives etc's longevity as I have had 2 pen drives die seemingly without cause.

So contrary to the so flamboyant claims that each media form will 'Outlast the Cockroaches', I will put my money on the 'Cockies', roaches that is !!
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!