Thread: File Permissions Issues in XP

Thanks

Default File Permissions Issues in XP

Hi

Have a few PC's sharing folders/files in a peer to peer network. One PC has the majority of the files on it (lets call the PC #1), and the other PC (PC #2) can open the folders, see the files, open them, but only in read only mode. I check the files on pc 1 and the folders are not ticked read only, but has a light square in read only, I take it off, only for it to come back. What am I doing wrong? How can pc 2 get full access to the files on pc 1?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

... first of all it sounds you have a windows OS (from you description) ...

The behaviour you are describing relates to directory read / write general permissions.

When the little squares are grayed out this means that the permission(s) are inherited from the parent directory - this will propergate all levels until it reaches your specific file. The way to change this is to go to the 'top' directory - the parent directory - and change the permissions on that directory to what you want - then ensuring that you select a tick box - to force this to propergate through all levels.

Alternatively you can unselect an already ticked boc which forces the propagation to lower levels and then go to the specific subdirectory or file - it will then be possible to change the permission settings and it will persist ...

Hope the above info is useful

Thanks

If you shared the folder by right click => properties => Sharing tab and selected share the folder/drive etc you need to tick the check box " Allow network users to change my files"