Thread: Any way to get updates and drivers on Linux enterprise without a subscription

Thanks

Default Any way to get updates and drivers on Linux enterprise without a subscription

I'm not sure exactly what I can access without a subscription and as a subscription on the linux website costs a few hundred dollars and theres no edition that just allows updates with no support i was wondering if anyone knew of another way to access updates or had a legitimate subscription to sell.
    Another operating system isnt an alternative as i need an OS that supports my server and the I want to buy, which is basically windows server or RHEL.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I think you will find that Fedora is the *non-restrictive* version of RHEL, as know this previously worked on a HP server our organisation ran. As equipment was a HP Proliant ML350 with Fedora Core 3. Ran very well as a corporate file server.

This beast has subsequently been decommisioned and somehow got scrapped to my spare room at home Have successfuly installed Ubuntu, so it is not impossible to install other flavours of Linux
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkchops For This Useful Post:

Mokilok (07-07-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porkchops View Post
    I think you will find that Fedora is the *non-restrictive* version of RHEL, as know this previously worked on a HP server our organisation ran. As equipment was a HP Proliant ML350 with Fedora Core 3. Ran very well as a corporate file server.

This beast has subsequently been decommisioned and somehow got scrapped to my spare room at home Have successfuly installed Ubuntu, so it is not impossible to install other flavours of Linux
    Thats good advice but i did already check into fedora and it says the proliant ml370 upto g1 is supported on the hardware compatability list doesnt mention g3 which has a different raid controller.
    If older versions of fedora core are supported would the latest desktop version have access to drivers adn updates that would run the hardware im using. if not is there a place to download fedora core 6.

Thanks

Have a look at CentOS, its the "Free" versions of Red Hat Enterprise.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy...

• The Following User Says Thank You to autotuner For This Useful Post:

Mokilok (07-07-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by autotuner View Post
    Have a look at CentOS, its the "Free" versions of Red Hat Enterprise.
    Ok, so I was biased with Fedora

Had a quick look Mokilok, at the link you supplied for the raid controller, and viewed this as an add-on card - i.e. not part of the proprietary HP hardware. Correct me if I am wrong, but if this is the case, I would be focusing on researching getting this card properly working under selected flavour of Linux.

As didn't mention, but backup solution in the server I mentioned, was a simple adaptec card with an approx 350G single SATA HDD. Was relatively cheap at the time and allowed backups to be dumped to this disk before they went to tape. This worked really well, although basically was a single SATA drive - with ability to put in another drive (max 2 drives off the card). I realise that you are after a more complicated setup, but recommend breaking down to component level.

Actually had a good look at the adaptec site, and would appear that they are actually open source friendly, haven't the time now, but would suggest Googling that card plus selected flavour of Linux.
    Last edited by porkchops; 07-07-10 at 06:53 PM. Reason: No spell check on corporate PC :(
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

• The Following User Says Thank You to porkchops For This Useful Post:

Mokilok (07-07-10)

Thanks

Ok, so I was biased with Fedora
    Nuffin wrong with Fedora...just like Ubuntu I dislike their release cycles...6 - 12 months for a major release....geeeeeeeezzzzzz....fix what needs fixing first guys..hence I stick to the core stuff, usually Debian.

As to the RAID controllers, I've found that the various OS's seem to like Software raid more often than not, and even "stable" OS's like BSD seem to complain about Hardware raid..
    Of course, Software raid throws in its own limitations...

Thanks

I've decided i'll probably go with windows server 2003 in the beginning to get everything up and running and make sure that all the hardware in the server is working properly (bought it second hand a couple days ago) might make sure i can configure the existing raid controller and turn down the fans (as this is another problem that is difficult to resolve on linux and the damn thing sounds about as loud as a vacume cleaner) and after that i might take another look at fedora core 6 or CentOS, Originally i wanted ubuntu server as all of my experience is with RHEL and ubuntu but that has known issues with the raid array, fans and new sata raid controller. Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks

And nuffin wrong with Windows 2003 Server, Microsoft can get it right..and 2003 is a darn fine platform.
    I use 2003 Server and Windows Xp/7 for the general office stuff, Linux can just be a bit "awkward" at times for general users....
    The core stuff is all Linux...where a day to day user does not see it directly.
    Thing I like about the Linux platforms it the controllability, lots of stuff out on the Web that you can use / modify. Once you get into it you see how "closed" Windows is.
    Good luck...

Thanks

Here are my picks and they depend on what you need. I assume you need a server OS so i've picked some of the server-centric distros:

CentOS: based on RHEL, long life cycle, slow at new drivers, high skill level required, moderate package selection
    ClearOS: based on CentOS, long life cycle, slow at new drivers, low skill required, low to moderate package selection
    Fedora: what RHEL is based on, short life cycle, quick at new drivers, high skill level required, large package selection
    OpenSuSE: based on Slackware, medium life cycle, good at new drivers, medium skill required, large package selection

• The Following User Says Thank You to daveloper For This Useful Post:

Mokilok (16-07-10)