Thread: Satellite Modems

Thanks

Default Satellite Modems

I had an Ipstar satellite modem which unceremoniously blew up - after discussion with my ISP I was told it would cost $1400 to replace it....my question is this; am I able to purchase a satellite modem that is not necessarily Ipstar and use that to connect to an Australian ISP (I have seen some advertised on ebay and various other websites for less than $1400) - I understand the new ISP would probably have to send a techo out to set it up - but is this actually able to be done - I thought I would check with people who knew before I rang satellite ISP's to ask this same question (after dealing with my last provider I don't trust a word that comes out of their mouths anymore). I'm sorry if this is a 'nuff nuff' question but I had nowhere else to turn.
    Many thanks
    Last edited by tonivin64; 14-07-10 at 11:04 PM.

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I have an email from my now ISP (skymesh) quoting me $700 as the cost of a new modem and about the same for the LNB.
    I can only guess your not under warranty now for them to repair/replace it unfortunately.
    I first thought the modem worked like a dialup one and it was your account that operated the service but I had some problems and they said they had recorded the wrong serial number of the Modem,odd though as I had been using it for over 6 months at that time.
    Hopefully one of the members who does installs can advise you better than I can if the Modem actually is registered into the system rather than being a simple Rx/Tx devise.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

etc etc