Thread: Absolute Sat Newbie

Thanks

Default Absolute Sat Newbie

Had a look through the sections and couldn't find a simple answer and was hoping someone could explain to me in laymans terms:

What sort of channels are available free to air?
    Roughly how much a basic dish + dreambox setup would cost (I'm sure its like asking how long is a piece of string but hey you've got to start somewhere right?)

Thanks in advance

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Sort of FTA Channels: ABC, SBS, FEEDS, Religious, News, Indigenous, Tele Shopping, Foreign etc etc.

Dish and DM500: $300 approx (including LNB, bracket and cabling)

But you are right; it is a very vague question. I think you need to do some reading, goggling and perhaps have a look at the FTA forum
    One would ask why would you want a Dreambox for FTA anyway? If you can't find the answers for your posted questions, a Dreambox is well over your head. You can buy FTA combo packages all over the net for cheap cheap.
    eg:

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

There are 2 types of satellite reception - KU Band and C Band.

You will see KU Band dishes everywhere , they are what Foxtel and Austar use. C Band are the great big ones that sometimes have see through mesh.

Most good free to air channels are on C Band with a 2.4 meter or bigger dish. When it comes to KU Band , there isnt a lot when it comes to free to air.

There are plenty of satellites in the Sky , but most of the best free to air stuff is received on the other side of the world. A Dreambox isnt going to get you any more channels than any other receiver......it will probably give you a headache though. They are not something I would recommend for free to air channels.

All in all.....if you want a few half decent channels to watch , subscribe to Selectv. At $30 a month , its better than the slim FTA picking on KU Band unless you know of a particular service you want to receive ?

Have a look at and the range of satellites that cover Asia pacific. Anything that is free to air should be marked as that.