Thread: IPAQ 212 Programming

Thanks

Default IPAQ 212 Programming

Hi all,
    My first post, so I'm not 100% sure it should go here.

I have an IPAQ 212, and I would like to make programs (or applications) for it.
    In particular, I like to link to a bluetooth serial port to record its data on the SD card.
    I'm used to program microcontrollers in BASIC language, I have used assembly (Z-80) and C++ back in the DOS days,

Any ideas as to what software is available out there? something that comes with a few examples would be great

Thanks for reading

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Hi ammlione, When it comes writing apps for WindowsMobile devices, I've found the easiest solutions is too use MS Visual studio.

When working with .Net compact framework, I normally code in c#, but if you're familiar with VB, I believe you can also develop your applications in .Net Visual Basic. I know Microsoft has free Express versions of their Visual Studio tools, but I don't think the express editions support .Net CF, so try and get your hands on a copy of Visual Studio 2005 or 2008.....I suspect a few guys here on Austech have Microsoft Technet accounts. Perhaps your could sweet talk one of them to get you a copy - Just a thought.

I've written numerous applications for Ipaq devices, so if you need any help, give us a yell....
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

Thanks

Thanks Gavin,
    I never used Visual XXX, only standard BASIC compiler, or the Borland C++ back in the DOS 5/6 days. So my C has rust to death.
    Thanks for the help offer, I would not mind a sample of something that can read a Bluetooth serial device and dump the data on a file for example. I'm not sure how easy or complicated that could be these days. If I remember right, I need to open a file to save, but I never connected to a Bluetooth thingy.
    If it helps, I have a GPS Bluetooth and also a ELM-327 interface that connects to the OBD2 port of the car.
    I'm interested on creating a program for each to display data on the fly (some analysis may be required) My biggest issue is the communication, any hands on that would be great.
    I'll start looking for Visual studio.
    Thanks again

Thanks

I've found a free download link for the 2008 version:

I'm getting the full ISO, and will try to install it when done.
    I'm sure I'll have a few more questions after that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ammlione View Post
    I've found a free download link for the 2008 version:

I'm getting the full ISO, and will try to install it when done.
    I'm sure I'll have a few more questions after that.
    Studio Express is a good place to start, since you'll need to become familiar with .net, however, when it comes to your iPaq you'll need the full version of visual studio since Programming for WindowsMobile devices will require the .Net compact framework add-in. I don't think Studio Express products support add-in's.

In regards to using bluetooth, it's not much different to using conventional serial ports. Windows just treats the BT port as another serial port. If you head over to you'll plenty of articles on using BT.
    “There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary – and those who don’t”

• The Following User Says Thank You to GavinSV For This Useful Post:

ammlione (24-07-10)

Thanks

I thank you again Gavin,

You are extremely helpful.
    I did not know that there was a difference to VS Express.
    I'll take a peek at codeproject too.