Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: copying problem

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default copying problem

I recently bought an El Cheapo media player and I wanted to put a couple of videos on it for the 'Better Half' so she can use it when we're out.
    I already had one movie downloaded as an AVI and loaded it ok and I converted another music Vid and loaded it ok but I have run into a problem with a DVD.
    A friend told me about a 'giveaway' from Aimersoft Video Convertor Std for free.
    So I downloaded it and got an offer to go for the Pro version for AU$9 + so I did.
    I have tried both Std and Pro to convert a music DVD and each time it goes so far then either freezes or boggs down at rougly the same place each time.
    I tried Decrypter and shink and they both seem to store the files ok but it just stops when I do the conversion.
    Even direct from the disc does the same,gets so far into the conversion and just stops at 66 % of File 6.
    My HDD (160 GB) is partitioned and C now has only 5 GB Free. The other partitions have at least 20Gb Free.
    I made the destination folder in one of the other partitions but I am wondering if the program can only see the 5 GB in C and goes so far and stops.
    I know this computer gets very cranky when I go below 4GB of Free space in C.
    Any suggestions other than cleaning out C or adding a new bigger HDD which is a plan in hand.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Hi Gordon, If you go into Tools then Preferences and change the Temporary directory to another partition as well this might fix your problem.

You could also try another program called "handbrake" it's free but only encodes in mp4 and mkv format. hopefully your media player plays those formats.

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 27-07-10 at 10:21 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickstv For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (27-07-10)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,141 Posts

Try another DVD. The DVD may have scratches/marks/pin holes that stop it from playing/ripping/converting properly.
    Reality is an invention of my imagination.
    ಠ_ಠ

Thanks

Hi fernbay from memory dvdshrink would come up with cyclic redundancy error's if the disc was faulty but gordon is saying the rip works ok. Or am I wrong

Mickstv

Premium Member

Thanks

no mick your right, both shrink and decryter saved the files and showed no errors and I carefully checked the disc face more for fingermarks than scratches (none) as a nice smeary mark does wonders to the playback.
    The disc played through on a laptop without any hassles in that regard.
    I added the new HDD today, a 320GB (cloned) so now C partition is 80GB with 49GB FREE as are the other partitions.
    I am just going through everything now to see how the cloning is working and either later tonight or tomorrow afternoon I will try again to convert the disc.
    And mick, the last time it bogged down it was trying to convert the Video to MP4 so its not been selective regarding which format to stuff up on.
    The mediaplayer seems to take the most common files, MP4,AVI,WMV etc.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

gordon_s1942

Shrink and decrypter sometimes have trouble with newer movies with encryption. A couple of times I used DVDFab free and it worked when the others didn't.

Premium Member

Thanks

Talk about back to the drawing board !!!
    As above I have replaced the HDD and everything 'SEEM's' to be working BUT now I have a problem with the DVD's.
    This Arock motherboard has 2 IDE connections and a friend I rely on heavily suggested that I disconnect the DVD's on IDE2 and use it for the 'Target' HDD during the cloning which I did.
    After the cloning I removed the 'Source' HDD, put the 'New' HDD onto IDE1, hooked up the 2 DVD's, one ROM one RAM and PROBLEMS when I tried to play a DVD.
    The DVD I first had problems with trying to convert plays Video ok but there is NO audio in either DVD.
    I tried another DVD and while there was Audio, it was very low.
    I reloaded the Motherboard CD /Audio drivers with no result.
    Mic sound is ok, playback from Files on the computer are ok so what the hell is affecting the Audio playback from both DVD's and why no audio on one only when it plays perfectly on other players ??
    I could understand one player dying as these are replacements for others over time but both together ??

Thanks

I'm not sure about that problem. maybe it's a codec problem. try downloading and installing 'ac3 filter' and see what happens.

gordon_s1942 (28-07-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

Mickstv, My biggest problem is ME !!!
    I am going to have the DVD players checked on another computer and see if I can borrow a known working one and see what it does in this computer.
    None of this will happen overnight but I will try to close off this posting as soon as I can.
    Thanks.

Thanks

Hi Gordon If they check out ok. It might be time for the dreaded format.

Premium Member

Thanks

I just played a CD thru both players and it works so what have I turned off/disabled to stop the DVD audio from working ?
    There are no cables and none have ever been connected to the Digital pins of the players.
    Both players are connected to the Motherboard with connectors from the analog outs to the internal audio connectors on the mother board as well as the IDE leads to the IDE2 connector and thats how they have been since day one untill I did the HDD clone the other day.
    After I post this I am going to turn the computer off and replug the leads in to see if that changes anything.

Thanks

put the origional harddrive back in and see If the sound plays with it. If it does then it's got to be some problem with the transfer to the new harddrive. Also try another player like VLC and see if the dvd audio works correctly on it.
    Last edited by mickstv; 29-07-10 at 03:03 PM.

Premium Member

Thanks

Well, I am not sure if changing back to the original HDD was a good idea as the bloody computer has crashed BIG time. The bugger wont reboot with the clone either.
    At I have is a blank screen and the standby light on tne monitor apart from the start up lights on the DVD players and the power on light. The HDD light does a few flashes but it goes off eventualy and thats IT !!!.
    At the moment I am sitting here sulking and using a laptop so I wont suffer from computer withdrawl too much untill I work out how to get it up and running again.
    I never cease to amaze myself with my own ineptitude.

Premium Member

Thanks

I told you I was inept !!!
    It seems I caused one power wire (Red) to the AGP card to come loose and that buggered that.
    Now that is sorted I will again try the HDD swap tomorrow after a good sleep and taking more care next time.

Premium Member

Thanks

Hopefully now I can close off this saga of stupidity and plain lack of knowledge.
    Mickstv, your idea to reconnect the old HDD DID work and the DVD does play audio Ok so as you correcty summised it has lost something in the cloning.
    Now whether I can run the XP disc through and do a 'repair' I will take on advisement or any other option short of reformating if possible.
    But I do have everything still on the smaller HDD so nothing has been lost.

My gratefull thanks Mick for your patience and assistance.

Thanks

use latest version of either dvdfab or clonedvdmobile mate and u cant go wrong. if the disc has scratches then ur gona have dramas

Thanks

try reinstalling you sound drivers

Premium Member

Thanks

kn and mickc, My problem is that since I have cloned the HDD I have no Audio when I play a DVD, ANY DVD !!.
    I can play CD's, any audio files I have on the computer, the Mic works too BUT I cannot get any audio when a DVD is played and I have tried several.
    If I go back to the old HDD, there audio is there so somehow I have lost the drivers that allow Audio from the DVD only.
    I now have the problem with my original XP disc telling me that the version on the computer is NEWER (how the hell is it newer?) and wants me to uninstall it.
    I get no other options on the XP disc to allow me to 'Repair' it.
    One thing left to do is make a copy of a DVD and see if it plays in either this or another player.
    Tomorrow is another day.

Thanks

Hi gordon, I would say that the version of xp on disc may only be xp or xp sp1 and you'll find that the computer has updates upto sp2 or sp3 so the xp disc is now old compared to the version on the harddrive and won't be able to update any of the newer files because of this.

If you have at some stage loaded a codec pack for video and sound uninstall it and download a copy of cccp and install is. this should get it all working again.

also download the ac3 filter from the link below and install it if you haven't already got it.

Last edited by mickstv; 30-07-10 at 07:22 PM.

gordon_s1942 (30-07-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

Mickstv, I wish I could do more than just say 'Thank You' as those programs have restored sound to both DVD's.
    I forgot of course that the SP packs became available after I had bought this copy of XP, I just didnt realise they would have changed the program to that extent.
    I can truefully say its been an interesting few days not only with the computer as the last 8 days have been somewhat frustrating with a couple of other matters I wont waste time detailing.
    To all and Mickstv, my gratefull thanks for your very much appreciated help.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast