Thread: another sooky poor us article from business not wanting to pay staff properly

Thanks

Default another sooky poor us article from business not wanting to pay staff properly

I have come across another article that grinds my gears

so in this ACA article they are saying that the younger generation are basically lazy because they are not coming and working for these small manufacturing businesses because they are instead focusing on education to get better wages.

the reason this annoys me so much is because it comes across as tall poppy syndrome.

basically we are in a free market, the way to attract people to the business is with money.

to attack that younger people want to work in corporate Australia either working from home or working in an "air conditioned office" and to say they need to "adjust their expectations" and "not get educated and instead aim lower" is a disgusting message to give to younger generations.

I have a better idea. how about assess the reason as to why people don't want to work in that industry, bets are that they are paying minimum wage, so if they want to attract people to work in those hostile conditions pay them fairly and they will come.

instead what these companies are doing is wanting to pay minimum wage.

I looked up their business and it doesnt even look like they are trying to find tallent

from their website

"
    Positions Vacant

STRIPCO has always been a leader in our Industry, offering excellent employment conditions and entitlements to all our employees. We have an extremely low turnover of employees, who usually leave the company due to retirement, or for personal reasons.

INDUSTRIAL SPRAY PAINTER

Fulltime position. If you would like to be considered for this position and you have the experience required, please email, or call us with your details.
    INDUSTRIAL SPRAY PAINTER

POWDERCOATER – No positions available.

ADMINISTRATION – No positions currently available

SANDBLASTER – No positions currently available.

FACTORY HAND – No positions currently available

If you have experience in any of the above positions and would like to submit your details at anytime, for when next a position becomes available, please email your details to ask_us@stripco.com.au, or call us on 9792 3488.
    "

So i had a quick look on seek. and I was shocked.

(i actually did this while creating this post)

the wages they are offering on seek is actually in some cases below minimum wage of $23 only offering $20 per hour for factory hand.

Why are these companies complaining on national television that they cant get staff while on the other hand clearly not offering to pay people fairly and in some cases offering below minimum wage?

Look Here ->
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,095 Times in 9,097 Posts

Because they can?
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by enf View Post
    Because they can?
    well actually they cant on the count of hiring someone below minimum wage is illegal but sure i guess they can complain

I mean you could say that older generations hog resources and there is no point keeping them alive long term once they start becoming a burden on society but its a bastard thing to say and society would shun it. so why is it acceptable to say that young generations are lazy and entitled because they are seeking higher education and getting higher payed jobs with better conditions.

the ones who are acting entitled are the generations of people complaining that young people are not taking up on their job offers that one only can liken to slavery.

I also just did the math on how hard that would be to live on that wage.

to make this more fair i have picked a housing location further away from sydney where this business owner was located to make the estimate lean more in their favor.

i picked campbelltown

$20/hour working 40 hours a week is $800

so the cheapest single bedroom unit i could find was in the vacinity of $400 per week
    so half of the budget blown and we have only just started

cost of water and electricity i have based on my mothers usage being a single old lady.

$300 per quarter in electricity costs is $1200 / 52 is $23
    $377
    $300 per quarter for water costs is $1200 / 52 is $23
    $354
    $2700 per year for vehicle onroad costs ($1700 for insurance cover for people under 25 and $1000 for registration) / 52 is $52
    $302
    $40 in fuel weekly assuming light vehicle usage
    $262
    $40 train fair based on the $8 adult fair between campbelltown and reversby
    $222
    $30 for cheap mobile phone plan no handset repayments etc is 360 / 52 is $6.9 rounded up $7
    $215
    $500 per year for clothing costs (replacing worn out clothes) / 52 is $9.60 but we can round that down to be conservative to $9
    $206
    $40 per month for the cheapest internet plan i could find is $480 / 52 is $9.20 so make it $9
    $197
    $100 per week for food (even i couldnt really do that but for the sake of this)
    $97

im sure i am forgetting things here and that assumes that there is literally no dept at all to pay. these people would have $97 left at the end of each week. not much to put into savings and lets hope they have no need to go to the doctor or anything happen to them in this labor intensive work or have any social life that is literally just living to work.
    Last edited by bazzy; 24-04-24 at 08:30 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

• The Following User Says Thank You to bazzy For This Useful Post:

gulliver (24-04-24)

LSemmens
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,347 Posts

You forgot taxation. So budget 19c in the dollar over $18000 there goes a large chunk of your wages, let alone if you want to eat.
    I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,475 Times in 1,535 Posts

the younger generation are f@#kin lazy I work in defense, they are more interested in their phones and extended toilet breaks, don't want to listen and learn, and the arseholes are on a good hourly wage, all you here is them whinging "oh I can't be f$%ked all day long, if I had my way i would drive my boot up there arse and sack them. I currently have 2 apprentices under my care training them both, and do have to say I've laid the law down thick with them, and they have been fantastic, if they weren't under my training they would just be another 2 on the lazy band wagon where the world owes them everything.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Rick For This Useful Post:

enf (24-04-24)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lsemmens View Post
    You forgot taxation. So budget 19c in the dollar over $18000 there goes a large chunk of your wages, let alone if you want to eat.
    Good Point

$20/hour working 40 hours a week is $800 thats 41600 per year.
    Tax free threashold is 18200 so that means $23400 of taxable income so thats $4446 tax
    so that means $41600 less tax that gives you $37154 net

so now $37154 gives you a weekly pay of $714.50.
    so now the budget above

$400 per week for rent
    $314.50
    $300 per quarter in electricity costs is $1200 / 52 is $23
    $291.5
    $300 per quarter for water costs is $1200 / 52 is $23
    $268.5
    $2700 per year for vehicle onroad costs ($1700 for insurance cover for people under 25 and $1000 for registration) / 52 is $52
    $216.5
    $40 in fuel weekly assuming light vehicle usage
    $176.5
    $40 train fair based on the $8 adult fair between campbelltown and reversby
    $136.5
    $30 for cheap mobile phone plan no handset repayments etc is 360 / 52 is $6.9 rounded up $7
    $106.5
    $500 per year for clothing costs (replacing worn out clothes) / 52 is $9.60 but we can round that down to be conservative to $9
    $97.5
    $40 per month for the cheapest internet plan i could find is $480 / 52 is $9.20 so make it $9
    $57.5
    $100 per week for food (even i couldn't really do that but for the sake of this, I just came back from getting groceries for 2 days for 2 people cost me $100)
    -$42.5

so you cant even live on this wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    the younger generation are f@#kin lazy I work in defense, they are more interested in their phones and extended toilet breaks, don't want to listen and learn, and the arseholes are on a good hourly wage, all you here is them whinging "oh I can't be f$%ked all day long, if I had my way i would drive my boot up there arse and sack them. I currently have 2 apprentices under my care training them both, and do have to say I've laid the law down thick with them, and they have been fantastic, if they weren't under my training they would just be another 2 on the lazy band wagon where the world owes them everything.
    So Rick... Boomer... Mate... what is this "good wage" you are talking of I have just shown above how these "good" wages are not even enough to live on. so please don't say anything less than $35per hour.

the fact you refer to your employees as "arseholes" and micromanage peoples toilet break really tells me all i need to know of the type of employer you are. if you didn't have such an attitude and approached this generation with respect then perhaps you would have improved engagement. but given that this generation as clearly shown above can barely afford to even live let alone actually accumulate assets i really dont blame them for having a disinterested attitude towards your business. your the one who ends up on top not them.

to be honest i think you have just demonstrated my point on the attitude that im actually talking about.

also remember. the people in this generation are the ones who will be picking your nursing home and looking after you when you cant wipe your backside anymore so keep that in mind and hope you don't get treated with same level of contempt.
    Last edited by bazzy; 24-04-24 at 08:30 PM.