Thread: Thin film vs Mono Crystalline panels

Thanks

Default Thin film vs Mono Crystalline panels

I am serious about buying solar to reduce or eliminate my electricity bill.
    I am thinking of a system that can cover my electricity bill. My quarter bill is between 30-40 kWh consumption.

I had a guy pitch me on Suntech mono crystalline setup, 4.8 kWh total panels with SMC 6000A inverter. This he says should cover about my bill each quarter. The panels cover 3/4 of the north facing roof. $20k setup plus meter.

I had another guy pitch me on japanese thin film panels, they would use up more space and therefore would on my northfacing and some on my west facing roof side. The inverter made in Germany, total panel output was 3.2 kWh. He claims due to thin film outperforms mono in the summer months, his 3.2kWh system will produce the same energy over 12 months as a 4.8kWh mono crystalline system. Inverter capable another 1.5kWh of panels if I want to upgrade later. Setup $13k plus meter.

What truth is their in what I was told?
    The second guy suggested if Labour get elected, they will increase the REC rebate from $35 to $40, that would reduce my expense by another $625.
    This suggests I hold on a little longer, then go ahead. If order in 2.5 weeks, election is 3 weeks. If Labour wins, senate hopefully passes the REC amendment before my installation time(approx 3 months from order).
    Anyone know more about the REC increase?
    Last edited by dishboy; 01-08-10 at 01:00 PM. Reason: changes
    Just chasing my tail and getting nowhere.
    In my last life, I must of been a dog.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

How is it that it puts out less power , takes up more space but is more efficient ?

Thanks

Default Theory

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    How is it that it puts out less power , takes up more space but is more efficient ?
    Mono degrades in output above 25-28C, Hot summer months is where the thin film does the catchup in producing more energy. During the winter, 3.2 is less than 4.8. In summer thin film stays at 3.2 where mono is about 2.4(half of 4.8).

That's the theory. My question is to you guys is, is that theory solid?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
    Mono degrades in output above 25-28C, Hot summer months is where the thin film does the catchup in producing more energy. During the winter, 3.2 is less than 4.8. In summer thin film stays at 3.2 where mono is about 2.4(half of 4.8).

That's the theory. My question is to you guys is, is that theory solid?
    Theory and practice is two different things!
    Regional location is another factor.
    Back up recommendations from satisfied customers go along way in which they should supply to you.
    Last edited by officemanager; 02-08-10 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,203 Times in 391 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dishboy View Post
    ...My quarter bill is between 30-40 kWh consumption...
    30-40 kw/h per day? If so a 4.8 kw system would only cover about half that.

As to the choice of panels, if you have the roof space for either, then it comes down to price. If mono-crystalline are cheaper you could always add more to make up for the power sag in the heat.

Not all mono-crystalline panels are created equal either it seems. I'm just testing a Nova brand Chinese mono panel at the moment and power seems to hold up pretty well in the heat. (I'm in the tropics) It also performs better than spec. Dunno if they are all like that or I just got a good one.

Suntech is supposed to be a good brand.

I think thin film panels are amorphous and will tolerate shadows without the whole array going dead. An advantage if your house has tall trees in the path of the Sun. My amorphous panel still suffers from acute Sun angles though.

Thanks

Look on the DKA solar website

If you join up you can compare a variety of different brands and types on a graphical trend page.They also give a standardised output based on the panel rating.
    If you check the US solar panel wholesaler webpages you will also note the thin film panels such as Kaneka and First Solar as being the cheapest per kw on the market yet the few companies in AU that deal with thin film ask a premium price over Mono.

• The Following User Says Thank You to dogsbreath For This Useful Post:

dishboy (04-08-10)

Thanks

I hear good mounting brackets that lift the panels away from the roof help reduce heat issues in summer.