Thread: Camping shower for Home use.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Camping shower for Home use.

While this might not be quite a 'Home Improvement' it could be for me as I currently have a very leaky holding tank on the Donkey Hot water system and consequently I am Sans Hot Water presently which although difficult, we can manage as there is really only the 2 of us and we're old and dont get too dirty.
    Plus being winter we can get away with the old Lick and a Promise !!!
    Its been sleeting outside as I post this so being warmer is more important than a clean skin.
    I would like to now consider an alternative water heater.
    Please accept without question why I am considering setting up one of those Coleman HWOD or similar systems for a shower/hot water supply as opposed to a permanent supply.
    I am very well aware these units are Unflued Gas units and are dangerous if incorrectly placed regarding ventilation.
    I think there is the odd mad Camper or 2 as Austech members and I would like their opinions on the Coleman as it seems to have a good writeup.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

It's funny because I don't go for all that extra 'crap' when camping. I like to keep light and simple. We use a $20 12v cig lighter shower and heat up a billy of water and pour that into about 7l of water in a bucket! That's one of the more luxurious showers. If water is short we go back to 5L lol and that still allows for hair washing!

But that doesn't help you!! I've had a shower with a coleman and theres not a lot of water presure.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Premium Member

Thanks

Thanks leroy, pressure and volume/flow apart from heat are what I was concerned about.
    As this can be connected to a mains tap, supply isnt going to be an issue.
    Due to age my gravity feed donkey HWS lost flow and there is nothing worse than standing bare-assed with dribble of albeit hot water covering an area the size of a saucer at a time in a bathroom colder than an Antartic Summer.
    I added a pump to the HWS and that worked brilliantly untill the tank leaked.
    Because of the shitty weather I havent been able to dismantle the tank to see if I can repair it again so I thought this Coleman might do the job quickly and effectively.
    I like your system as its basic but I havent a suitable heat source and bucketing water just isnt an option for us now.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

have a look on ebay
    we use a lpg water heater at grawin similar to this

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mickc For This Useful Post:

crazy (02-08-10),gordon_s1942 (02-08-10),gulliver (02-08-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

mickc, that exactly what I want.
    I had never heard or seen those before and I obviously wasnt looking in the right place on Ebay.
    This removes the shower flow problems as its mains pressure and at almost half the price of the Coleman, that pleases my Scottish side immensly.
    Oddly enough Just above where this heater could go, I still have the hole (blocked off) where the chimney went through the ceiling on the Chip Heater that was here in 1965 so It wouldnt take much to install a flu to ensure proper ventilation of this unit.

Thanks

ours sits outside and is a x caravan park unit type
    payed $50 for it on ebay if your not in a hurry

Premium Member

Thanks

Mickc, Unfortunately no hot water now means I have to get one ASAP.
    I planned to order one on Wednesday when I have the money.
    Is it one of those Red Rock ones and I take it your happy with its general performance?
    Are you thinking if selling the one you have?
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 02-08-10 at 07:55 PM.

Thanks

is similar to the red rock type cant remember the name
    only gets used a few weeks a year and very happy with it
    the wives and kids wouldnt go without it

• The Following User Says Thank You to mickc For This Useful Post:

gordon_s1942 (02-08-10)

Premium Member

Thanks

I purchased and installed a unit and while it does what was advertised, I really should say that there are many ways to read advertising.
    The handbook supplied is in reasonable English but it is very basic.
    This methord has shown me the viability of having a Solar HWS (mains pressure) and setting up the water to a shower/bath to have the option of using the Solar Panel as the main supply and if the water temp in the Solar tank drops below a useable level, run it thru the Instant unit as a preheater of the cold water which could reduce the Gas useage.
    One thing I suggest is to take into account the ambient temp of the bathroom as it plays a big part on how hot you need the water and also, ask EXACTLY what they mean when they say 'X' litres Per Minute Flow of 'Piping Hot Water'.
    The unit can pass any flow per minute based on the input pressure/flow but its capicity to HEAT that flow to an acceptable level is what I know know to be most important.
    We have both used it and after 2 weeks of not being able to shower at home it was good to be able too.
    Lastly is the cost of fuel, be it Gas/Electricty or whatever, that depends on too many variables and really is a the last item of of the overall list.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 08-08-10 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=gordon_s1942;321740]Please accept without question why I am considering setting up one of those Coleman HWOD or similar systems for a shower/hot water supply as opposed to a permanent supply.
    I am very well aware these units are Unflued Gas units and are dangerous if incorrectly placed regarding ventilation.

Oddly enough Just above where this heater could go, I still have the hole (blocked off) where the chimney went through the ceiling on the Chip Heater that was here in 1965 so It wouldnt take much to install a flu to ensure proper ventilation of this unit
    [QUOTE]

I do apologise for bringing up an old post but is this not why Plumbing is one of only a few 'Protected' trades?

Cheers