Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS

Thanks

Default Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS

I just bought one of these units, it's been updated from the old one with key differences being that it has bluetooth and a bluetooth helmet headset, and it now runs IGO Amigo, and from the onboard memory, not an SD card, although it has an SD slot.

I'm pretty impressed with it so far - it has a good interface for using on the motorcycle, and seems physically robust. One major fault with Igo Amigo, however, is that you can only use one via point when planning routes.

I googled this problem, and found that it's a common complaint, and that skins have been developed allowing more via points. When I try to load any of them, however, I get a "320 x 240 resolution not found, no supported skins found" error, even though those skins support that resolution. With nothing in the sys.txt file modifying resolution, I don't believe it's the sys.txt file causing the problem. I suspect it's because the Amigo version is later than the versions supported by the skins.

Any comments or ideas on this?

So, I moved to plan B: install IGO 8 as an alternate navigation software for generating routes, and access them from Amigo. (Apparently Amigo can access IGO 8 content, so it should be able to access routes saved in IGO 8 too, right?)

Now, as I mentioned above unlike the previous version of the S350 this one has the software loaded on its onboard memory. Also, the unit boots into it's own interface instead of the WinCE (I think that's what runs it) desktop. I tried to hack into it using the instructions , but Windows Mobile Device Centre isn't recognising the unit.

I don't really know why, but could it be this: when I plug the USB cable into the unit, it gives me the option of either connect as a charger, or connect as a removable drive. When doing the latter, the onboard memory shows up as a removable drive on the PC, with only the navigation software folder visible (for updating using the Amigo synching software presumably).

My guess is that the unit doesn't allow the PC that it's connected to see that it is a WindowsCE device, thus preventing access to its inner workings by Windows Mobile Device Center. Is this possible? Is there a workaround for it?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

I've solved the problem with the skins - the sys.txt had to be told what resolution to use, even though the data.gro file was specifically for that resolution, and the original sys.txt didn't specify it.

I can now use multiple via points, but the interface isn't quite as glove-friendly.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricketyclik For This Useful Post:

truder44 (08-08-10)

Thanks

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ricketyclik View Post
    I've solved the problem with the skins - the sys.txt had to be told what resolution to use, even though the data.gro file was specifically for that resolution, and the original sys.txt didn't specify it.

I can now use multiple via points, but the interface isn't quite as glove-friendly.
    Hi Ricketyclik, I also have one of these units and have run into the problem of not having multip via points.

Unfortunately, I am new to hacking a GPS unit, and as you seem to have already solved this problem, I was wondering if (1) you could tell me/us what skin you ended up using and (2) what change you made to the sys.txt ??

Many thanks ....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Murphyau View Post
    Hi Ricketyclik, I also have one of these units and have run into the problem of not having multip via points.

Unfortunately, I am new to hacking a GPS unit, and as you seem to have already solved this problem, I was wondering if (1) you could tell me/us what skin you ended up using and (2) what change you made to the sys.txt ??

Many thanks ....
    Murphyau, I used the , just because it was the first one I got to work with the via point functions, but from all accounts is pretty good without being too complex. Note that you lose the motorcycle specific functionality with at least the former skin.

The directions to install either should be the same:

1. Back up the contents of the "MobileNavigator" folder on the GPS to your PC (especially those you're going to modify, below).

2. Download the data.gro file from either of the sites in the above links. (The first one offers a lot more to download, I only used the data.gro.)

3. Replace the data.gro file in the MobileNavigator folder on your GPS with the new one.

4. Delete the entire contents of MobileNavigator\save on the GPS.

5. Paste the following into MobileNavigator\sys.txt:

[interface]
    skin="ui_igo_easy"
    resolution_dir="320_240"
    vga=0
    [rawdisplay]
    class="landscape"
    screen_x=320
    screen_y=240
    highres=0
    All the usual disclaimers apply: it worked for me, but don't blame me if your GPS becomes damaged in any way.

I probably should mention just in case that the first thing you need to do is connect the GPS to the PC in file transfer mode using the USB cable
    Last edited by ricketyclik; 09-08-10 at 10:50 AM.

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricketyclik For This Useful Post:

gail_g (13-09-10),Murphyau (09-08-10)

Thanks

Thanks for the links and the detailed information. Very much appreciated.

I'll do some reading on the two skins and see which one to try. As the screen size is quiet small, the current interface is easy to use when riding, so I don't want to loose that. I'm just after the multiple via points capability.

Thanks again.

Thanks

You're welcome Murphy. I have been using FreddySam on the bike, works well, just not with for keyboard stuff (with gloves on).

You can always restore the original by putting back the original data.gro, and the old save stuff (or deleting save contents).
    Last edited by ricketyclik; 09-08-10 at 02:23 PM.

Thanks

Now, as I mentioned above unlike the previous version of the S350 this one has the software loaded on its onboard memory. Also, the unit boots into it's own interface instead of the WinCE (I think that's what runs it) desktop. I tried to hack into it using the instructions , but Windows Mobile Device Centre isn't recognising the unit.

I don't really know why, but could it be this: when I plug the USB cable into the unit, it gives me the option of either connect as a charger, or connect as a removable drive. When doing the latter, the onboard memory shows up as a removable drive on the PC, with only the navigation software folder visible (for updating using the Amigo synching software presumably).

My guess is that the unit doesn't allow the PC that it's connected to see that it is a WindowsCE device, thus preventing access to its inner workings by Windows Mobile Device Center. Is this possible? Is there a workaround for it?

The solution for this problem is .

Thanks

Do you have your computer set to show "System & Hidden Files & Folders" ?

also have you tried PNADesktop to get into the windowsCE on the device
    If you can't run with the DOGS, Stay on the Porch

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaclone View Post
    Do you have your computer set to show "System & Hidden Files & Folders" ?

also have you tried PNADesktop to get into the windowsCE on the device

Yes to the first one, no to the second, but I don't really need access because of the application linked to in my previous post.

Thanks

You're welcome Murphy. I have been using FreddySam on the bike, works well, just not with for keyboard stuff (with gloves on).

You can always restore the original by putting back the original data.gro, and the old save stuff (or deleting save contents).
    Just a quick update. I tried the FreddySam file and everything worked OK. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks

Good stuff Murphy.

I tried Ultra, and ran into a memory issue. The device was able to increase memory allocation, but it was enough to cause me to shy away from it.

Thanks

I have also tried the FreddySam file and everything is working well. Created a route with 36 via points and have had no memory issues. Has anyone tried to add a different bluetooth device to the unit. I have an Autocom communications system but the Aldi Go Cruise will not sync with it. It is picking up the bluetooth device but will not pair with it for some reason. Any Ideas? Thanks for all your help.

Thanks

Has the comms system been paired before? The unit that came with the Go Cruise automatically tries to connect to the last device it was paired to, and you need to push the power button to tell it to stop and receive a pairing call from another one. Maybe this applies to the Autocom as well?

Thanks

Hi Ricketyclik, I have not paired my Autocom system to any other bluetooth device previously. I have reset the factory settings on the GPS and tried to pair the devices again without success. The GPS is displaying the Autocom device but when you try to connect them nothing happens. I am doing everything as per the instructions for both devices. I am heading off today for a 5 day road trip through nothern NSW & QLD so I will not be able to check the forum until I return. I will let you know how the GPS performs.

Thanks

One tip with the GPS: have it on and in navigation mode when you pass through via points, otherwise it will want to take you back to them.

I'm stumped as to the bluetooth issue.

Have a good trip Garson!

Thanks

Default S350 problem with directions

I am new to this and I am sorry if I am not following protocol. We also bought a S350 from Aldis. When using the main map screen all is well. The problem relates to roundabouts. When you use the overview screens (the ones to the left or right which show you speed, time of arrival etc) then the icon shows you having to go the wrong way round the roundabout. I have taken photos of this but cannot post them here from my iPad. From another computer I have sent them to Tempo Australia who have assured me that they are looking into it. This has been for a week. We know one other person who has this problem but not found anything on the Internet. Several people on this forum seem to have excellent knowledge of this GPS and so I am asking if you could please check this out for me. Is it the same for you?

Thanks

Is there anyone there can solve this problem with the Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS will not communicate with the bluetooth of autocom system. can anyone tell me what i need to do. it will be much appriciated as i'm happy with the GPS but will like to use only the autocom motorcycle system.

Kind Regards,

alevin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alevin View Post
    Is there anyone there can solve this problem with the Aldi Go Cruise S350 Motorcycle GPS will not communicate with the bluetooth of autocom system. can anyone tell me what i need to do. it will be much appriciated as i'm happy with the GPS but will like to use only the autocom motorcycle system.

Kind Regards,

alevin
    alevin, I have also been trying to overcome this problem without success so far. Where I am up to is that I have been able to get into the windows ce platform following links on the forum and have identified a folder called PHONELINK. This folder contains 2 .exe files, BluetoothService.exe & PhoneLink.exe. I have tried to view these files in notepad but it is code I can't understand not text. I believe that the issue is that the bluetooth headphone that comes with the unit has a passcode hard coded which is different to the default 0000 code in the autocom bluetooth dongle. This is why the GPS will recognise the autocom dongle but not pair with it. I know that this does not help us but it may give someone more knowledgable a bit of information. Regards Garson.

Thanks

One tip with the GPS: have it on and in navigation mode when you pass through via points, otherwise it will want to take you back to them.

I'm stumped as to the bluetooth issue.

Have a good trip Garson!
    I had a great trip. The GPS performed very well (better at times than my mate's Garmin) apart from no sound due to not communicating with my Autocom communication system. Had a slight problem with memory with 36 via points on the route after the first day as it wanted me to go back to the first via point so I just deleted all points already passed and the system was ok after that. The only other problem was with the mounting plate which is held in place with 4 short allen key bolts. 2 bolts vibrated loose and fell out. I have since replaced the bolts with longer ones in the reverse direction with nyloc nuts. At a minimum you should loctite the bolts. Regards, Garson

• The Following User Says Thank You to Garson For This Useful Post:

ricketyclik (28-08-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Garson View Post
    alevin, I have also been trying to overcome this problem without success so far. Where I am up to is that I have been able to get into the windows ce platform following links on the forum and have identified a folder called PHONELINK. This folder contains 2 .exe files, BluetoothService.exe & PhoneLink.exe. I have tried to view these files in notepad but it is code I can't understand not text. I believe that the issue is that the bluetooth headphone that comes with the unit has a passcode hard coded which is different to the default 0000 code in the autocom bluetooth dongle. This is why the GPS will recognise the autocom dongle but not pair with it. I know that this does not help us but it may give someone more knowledgable a bit of information. Regards Garson.

I suggest you guys call the helpline to get the answer to this. 1300886649.

Let us know what you find!

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast