Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo 10 wood burner Dampers

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Turbo 10 wood burner Dampers

I have a fairly old 2nd hand Turbo 10 tiled wood burner and the way its going I think the Cold Air isnt entering the firebox properly.
    I remember seeing advertising material for these and they showed how air was circulated around the firebox as a 'preheater' before being burnt.
    I have checked the top damper to ensure its opening and I dont think the chimney is restricted because with the door open, the fire picks up straight away.
    I have looked around the net, checked installers who sold similar but no one now has any details of this particular style.
    On the right hand side when facing the fire, there is a small lever that connects to rod that goes under the heater but to where and does exactly I dont know but moving it doesnt seem to make any difference and it weighs a ton to pull about anyway and certainly not this time of year when the heater is needed.
    With half way decent wood it should burn hot enough to melt the paint off the wall but currently its flat out defrosting Ice Cream.
    I would appreciate any info on this heater.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

chivasmetimbers (13-06-21)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default re: Turbo 10 wood burner Dampers

Gordon,

Apologies for re-opening this thread. If you haven't already sorted it, I have a few ideas that might help.

I have found that ash accumulates in the secondary combustion chamber. This is the chamber above the fire pit. When you open the door and look up there is a grate full of holes. It is held in place by a couple of twitches of wire. Cut them with some side cutters then you can scrape the ash out of the chamber. Wire the grate back into place and you are good to go.

Also, it helps to clean this grate from time to time, just give it a brush when the burner is cold. That will remove any ash buildup there.

Failing all that, I do have the original operating manual. I could scan a page or two that has the adjustment for the "Set and Forget" mechanism.

cheers,
    Geebs

• The Following User Says Thank You to Geebs For This Useful Post:

chivasmetimbers (13-06-21)

Premium Member

Thanks

Geebs, WOW !! I had forgotten all about this post but thanks for the update.
    I still have the Turbo but its now fast approaching the end of its life with the sliding Top damper rod rusting/burnt thru and the top chamber you mention has buckled and is now very distorted and split.
    I did think that plate was welded to the upper case of the heater and not removable as you describe.
    I would still like to see the info on the bottom air control though and would be gratefull for a copy if you scan it.
    I will PM you with my email address if thats satifactory.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Default very late update to thread

Hello Geebs,

Do you by any chance still have a copy of that Turbo 10 user manual ?
    Thanks

Cheers
    pkaus

Premium Member

Thanks

I still have the Turbo 10 in use but I never got around to trying to clean out the vents.
    I am trying to remember if Geebs did send me a copy of the heater but if he did, I have no idea if I printed out a copy or where it might be BUT I do know for certain that if I 'saved' it on the computer I had then, its gone to cyber heaven along with everything else as it crashed earlier this year.

Hopefully Geebs can reply but except for that I cannot help you unfortunately.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gordon_s1942 For This Useful Post:

pkaus (18-07-13)

Thanks

Hey Gordon

Thank you for the reply!!
    Glad to hear your Turbo 10 is still working.
    Great heaters, but I was also wondering about reduced flow...

Cheers

Premium Member

Thanks

pkaus, this heater to put it bluntly is totally stuffed now and desperately needs replacement ASAP!!
    I feel at times that its not drawing properly, particularly if the wood is too big or not thoroughly dried out as it can takes ages sometimes to get burning but considering its condition, I am happy it burns at all.
    Like it or not I will have to decide about what to replace it (heating) with in the not too distant future, a situation I am not looking forward to.
    From dredging up what I remember of the diagram, finding and doing anything to the vents wont be an easy job.

Thanks

Default Turbo 10

Gday
    my partner has just moved into a rental with a Turbo 10 & if you are able I would like a copy of the manual that covers the operation and controls please.
    Kwilly

Quote Originally Posted by Geebs View Post
    Gordon,

Apologies for re-opening this thread. If you haven't already sorted it, I have a few ideas that might help.

I have found that ash accumulates in the secondary combustion chamber. This is the chamber above the fire pit. When you open the door and look up there is a grate full of holes. It is held in place by a couple of twitches of wire. Cut them with some side cutters then you can scrape the ash out of the chamber. Wire the grate back into place and you are good to go.

Also, it helps to clean this grate from time to time, just give it a brush when the burner is cold. That will remove any ash buildup there.

Failing all that, I do have the original operating manual. I could scan a page or two that has the adjustment for the "Set and Forget" mechanism.

cheers,
    Geebs

Premium Member

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kwilly View Post
    Gday
    my partner has just moved into a rental with a Turbo 10 & if you are able I would like a copy of the manual that covers the operation and controls please.
    Kwilly
    Thanks for the offer kwilly, very appreciated but mine has seen better days and desperately needs replacing as its split the top and buckled internally plus they weigh a bloody tonne to shift about.

Hopefully pkaus may see this or you could PM him directly to see if he can use the manual.

Thanks

Default Manual for Turbo 10 wood heater

Geebs
    gidday! Awhile ago, you wrote:

cheers,
    Geebs[/QUOTE]
    Any chance you still have the manual? My interest is in the controls for both top and bottom dampers, how these work: on my heater, neither are working and I can't figure out how they should work!
    If suitable, you can email to me scans of the manual. A great help if so!
    thanks

Premium Member

Thanks

Inquisitive,
    I am still using that Turbo 4 years later and its getting older and more decrepit every day but its still functioning.
    I never tried to fix anything eventually as its too heavy to go pushing about without assistance.
    I can tell you the top damper is a pivoted roughly circular plate that partially blocks off the chimney, forcing the air flow around the top baffle which increases the metal area to be heated and passed into the room.
    This upper damper cant be fully closed or it would choke the fire but its movement allows you to control the burn.
    I havent a clue where the bottom damper is located but if you bring the side lever 'FORWARD' ie towards you then it will slow the fire down but I doubt now mine is working that brilliantly.
    I believe the Turbo relies a lot on the tiles mounted on the sides for heat dissipation, even more so those not fitted with a fan.

I know it likes dry wood as does any heater but I have found even old railway sleepers dont burn as well as I thought they should yet others have burnt well and left little ash behind.
    I wondered if they build the outer case first and then 'insert' and secure by welding the upper baffle to either the top or back plate which makes it a major exercise in trying to repair it.

Make sure your chimney is in good condition and not obstructed in any way as that affects the heater too.
    Have Fun...........and wish it was a balmy tropical day like in the mid 20's and not sleeting as it is now.

Thanks

Default Turbo 10 manual

Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitive! View Post
    Geebs
    gidday! Awhile ago, you wrote:

cheers,
    Geebs
    I still have a Turbo 10 wood heater, which is a 1982/1983 model. And I have the manual for it.

I now have a significant opening at the top of the firebox adjacent to the top damper (caused by warpage, perhaps where the firebox was originally welded). Yet the heater still works ok!

I’ve just been doing what you guys have been doing... working out whether I can keep it going or if I should replace it. I think I’ll try to keep it going!

If you need a scan of any pages, I’m happy to do that for you.

Ian
    Last edited by i.c.hill; 16-03-19 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks

I have recently came across a Burning Log turbo 10.
    I am I bit confused what the flap on both sides of the bottom front. They were connected to a top lever via a spring mechanism. I used my inspection camera and found the tubes don't appear to be air inlets.
    What are they for?
    Is any one willing to scan & sent the user manual? Google hasn't been very helpful.

Sent from my ANE-LX2J using Tapatalk

Thanks

Default Turbo 10 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by i.c.hill View Post
    I still have a Turbo 10 wood heater, which is a 1982/1983 model. And I have the manual for it.

I now have a significant opening at the top of the firebox adjacent to the top damper (caused by warpage, perhaps where the firebox was originally welded). Yet the heater still works ok!

I’ve just been doing what you guys have been doing... working out whether I can keep it going or if I should replace it. I think I’ll try to keep it going!

If you need a scan of any pages, I’m happy to do that for you.

Ian
    Just wondering if I could possibly have a copy of your Turbo 10 Manual please? I have one that is still working relatively fine (after more than 25 years) but the airflow doesn’t seem to be as good as it usually is. Works fine if you open the door, but not when it’s closed. Thinking there may be a problem with the air inlet mechanism. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated. I’m not ready to replace it, it’s far too good a heater (usually). I did get a replacement top chamber a few years back from the manufacturer as the old one was warped and cracked. Other than that and the airflow problem now, it hasn’t missed a beat.

Thanks so much!
    Last edited by Cathymaym; 14-06-20 at 05:36 PM.

• 13-06-21, 12:56 PM

Reason
    duplicate post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    I have a fairly old 2nd hand Turbo 10 tiled wood burner and the way its going I think the Cold Air isnt entering the firebox properly.
    I remember seeing advertising material for these and they showed how air was circulated around the firebox as a 'preheater' before being burnt.
    I have checked the top damper to ensure its opening and I dont think the chimney is restricted because with the door open, the fire picks up straight away.
    I have looked around the net, checked installers who sold similar but no one now has any details of this particular style.
    On the right hand side when facing the fire, there is a small lever that connects to rod that goes under the heater but to where and does exactly I dont know but moving it doesnt seem to make any difference and it weighs a ton to pull about anyway and certainly not this time of year when the heater is needed.
    With half way decent wood it should burn hot enough to melt the paint off the wall but currently its flat out defrosting Ice Cream.
    I would appreciate any info on this heater.
    Hi Gordon,

I recently came to own a Burning Log Turbo 10. Its in pretty good condition for its age and everything works ok.
    I cleaned it out and vacumed it then pulled it apart to give it a bit of a service and found some info you might be interested in. 11 years late......

The air intake switch on the right hand side at the top is connected to the air intake valves at the bottom with a ball chain.

CLOSED FULL OPEN

You can get to the ball chain easily by pushing the tiles up and sliding them out.

The ball chain is tensioned by a coil spring at the top. This coil spring is also the thing that makes it hard to slide the lever out.

Coil springs are a can of worms so if you need to tension or change the position of the valves, use the links in the ball chain.

I ended up having to cut 4 links off to get mine fully shut.

To get to the valves at the bottom, there are 4 bolts, 2 on either side. Just back them off a bit and slide the bottom cover forward and you should see the valves.

Gave it a wipe over and cleaned the glass and its like new

If you have any other questions, I might know but without the mythical manual its all trial and error.

• The Following User Says Thank You to chivasmetimbers For This Useful Post:

mtv (13-06-21)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Thanks for your detailed post, chivasmetimbers.

Sadly, Gordon passed away in December 2018, but I'm sure he would have been grateful for your assistance.

Thanks

Very Sad to hear, condolences.

Please leave the post here for others to find. Its one of only a few that come up when googling these fireplaces.

Thank You

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chivasmetimbers View Post
    Please leave the post here for others to find. Its one of only a few that come up when googling these fireplaces.
    I would normally close such an old thread, but I agree it may still be useful to others.

• The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mtv For This Useful Post:

chivasmetimbers (13-06-21),gulliver (14-06-21),lsemmens (13-06-21)

Thanks

Default Turbo10 Hi-Tec

I have an original (Operating And Installation Instructions) that came with my Turbo 10 Hi-Tec Tile Fire in 1983/4. I have just installed it at my property so if anyone needs a copy i may be able to post or upload it to the site although this may infringe copyright cheers.

• The Following User Says Thank You to bobec For This Useful Post:

chivasmetimbers (24-04-22)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bobec View Post
    I have an original (Operating And Installation Instructions) that came with my Turbo 10 Hi-Tec Tile Fire in 1983/4. I have just installed it at my property so if anyone needs a copy i may be able to post or upload it to the site although this may infringe copyright cheers.
    Id love to see that manual. I doubt there would be any copyright problem, id say the patent has run out being a nearly 40 year old fireplace.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast