Thread: Still no way to get Foxtel programming on Tivo?

Thanks

Default Still no way to get Foxtel programming on Tivo?

I know it's a long shot, but I haven't been a regular in these forums and was wondering if you eggheads have found a way to get Foxtel to plug into Tivo? I am more interested in the latest Tivo units. Thanks in advance.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Presumably the Tivo only has a terrestrial tuner, so ain't going to happen.

Why not use a decoder than can handle both?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Thanks

So technically, it's impossible for Tivo and Foxtel to link?

And what will a decoder do?

Basically, I am after the rich features of Tivo and the rich content of my Foxtel Platinum HD. I was a Tivo owner when I lived in Canada and miss watching almost a thousand channels on it.

And being new to Australia, I am unfamiliar with whatever politics exist that prevent the Foxtel programming to be made available to - and decodeable by - any brand of set top box. I think if Foxtel would open itself to other STB manufacturers and give the consumer a choice, they would sell cable more. IQ, contrary to what Foxtel might have consumers believe, is antiquated (read 15 years behind today's technology). Yet they have the goods in terms of content/EPG.

I understand techies around here modded the Tivo series 2 to get Foxtel programming on it. If only we can do it on the latest models?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Basicaly the answer to your query is, its all about MONEY, who owns what and what THEY want you to have.
    Unlike the US and Canada we were very late getting into all of this so what 'Just Grewed' overseas wont 'Grewed' here as the companies because of the technologies that have evolved can lock up the systems as they want.
    Another major problem is both our population numbers and the distances between areas.
    Some of our companies when they saw what was going to eventualy happen, were able to coerce some of the gormless Politicians into passing restrictive legislation regarding Broadcasting.
    When TV was first proposed here, the Govt of the day said because of our then small population, we could never support an FM radio industry so they allocated TV channels into what is now of course a bustling FM radio band and those channels will eventually clear the band with the new Digital transmissions.
    The USA has 300 million population in a similar sized area as OZ has with only 21 million BUT with a few exceptions in the USA, that Population covers most of the country where here we are very concentated into a few areas.
    Some areas bigger than some US states here have a population of One per 10 square Kilometres.
    The TV channels here from what I read have fought tooth and nail against this Tivo devices and all forms of recording (VCR's) other than what they want to totaly control.
    They have resisted add skipping and by over running time for starting/finishing shows, have rended G-Code and other preset timers from working accurately.
    I believe the channels tried recently to exert more control over Terrestial Digital TV when they formed 'FreeView' but that it was stopped due to some restrictive trade breaches.
    I do believe however they will achieve this aim with the new VAST Satelitte's so called FTA system by locking the Card and STB together and controlling its ability to record 'OFF AIR' unless they (Broadcaster) approves.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 15-08-10 at 03:18 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

One interesting point - in the US, it seems local FTA is broadcast via sat with most bouquets for cities much smaller than those in Oz.

Is optus charging too much?
    * Bill Paxton is the only actor to be killed by Alien, a Terminator, and the Predator.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

what is 'TOO Much' when your the only player in the Park??

Today as we are seeing with power and service charges, its now not what it costs but what is deemed to be an acceptable price that can be charged.
    No doubt if we had other competitive satelitte broadcasters offering what is available to the US and EU, it would be very much cheaper BUT who is going to expend the monies ie Multi Millions to launch more satelittes into our small market?
    Cable TV is a classic example of how to waste money by supplying nothing to so few.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    No doubt if we had other competitive satelitte broadcasters offering what is available to the US and EU, it would be very much cheaper BUT who is going to expend the monies ie Multi Millions to launch more satelittes into our small market?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but would a new competitor really need to launch their own satellite? Wouldn't they simply lease transponders on an existing satellite? I don't think DirecTV or DISH Network in the US or Bell ExpressVu in Canada own their own satellites. Their lines are just leased. Now that's not to say leasing is cheap. I'm just saying it doesn't cost as much as launching your own satellite.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    Their lines are just leased. Now that's not to say leasing is cheap. I'm just saying it doesn't cost as much as launching your own satellite.
    But Gordon has expalined about the population sizes above, as imagine economies of scale are coming into the equation with getting a good deal that suits both supplier and end user, that can only be dreamed of about in the smaller market of Australia.

In the end someone has to pay to launch a satellite, which obviously is factored into leasing price! The advantage in Northern America is the amount of competition.
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Agreed. Like I said, leasing is not cheap. I was simply saying that providers don't necessarily launch satellites.

And you're right about competition. When I first moved to Australia, I was hoping Rupert Murdoch would someday bring DirecTV down under, or at least a semblance of it. In America, he gave STBs for free to subscribers...who could choose from several brands. Now if Mr. Murdoch brought DirecTV in all its glory here, we can potentially have 400+ channels. Even with Australian content rules enforced, we'll still enjoy way more than Foxtel's offerings. And that will force Foxtel to get off their high horse and give us real value.

And then I wake up.
    Last edited by truenorth; 17-08-10 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

I have an old series 1 Tivo that runs fine on my Foxtel cable box via the OzTivo site.

I also have the latest TivoHD modded to 2TB hdd, but it won't work with Foxtel mainly because it doesn't have any way to feed in a signal other than via the terrestrial antenna. It also has no IR transmitter like the series 1 Tivo to change the channel on the Foxtel box.

Thanks

My bro just got Tivo in favour of Foxtel. Wouldn't really be fussed with having one on the other...I've been somewhat disappointed ever since my analogue black boxed ceased picking up PPV and free channels

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by truenorth View Post
    and was wondering if you eggheads have found a way to get Foxtel to plug into Tivo?

lol... way to make an entrance
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

Does the EPG work fully with the Tivo hack?

Or do you just get now & next?

Thanks

Check out this new PVR from Strong, it has A/V inputs claiming to be able to record Foxtel according to CrazyStu's site.