Thread: Need 9pin display, can i convert 15pin lcd?

Thanks

Default Need 9pin display, can i convert 15pin lcd?

Hello,

Is there any way to convert 15pin LCD's to 9pin?

We have an old computer system which used four monitors which ran off 9pin adapter. They all have gone now and trying to restore display to the computer.

Is there any way to customize a 15pin LCD to work on the 9pin output? Ive seen a couple people mention scan doublers? etc although i cant seem to find where to buy them?

Are there any 9pin monitors for sale on the market?

Thanks for all the help

Look Here ->
    Thanks

if you can solder then a few bucks at jaycar and you can make one yourself very easily done

Thanks

Thanks for the link, but unfortunatly that solves half of my problem

I found this on another forum;
    That adapter won't work. EGA/CGA are digital signals while VGA is an analog signal. Not only that, but no VGA monitor I know of is capable of syncing to the slow EGA/CGA scan rate. You'll not only need to convert the digital signals to analog, but you'll also need something called a scan doubler. These devices are expensive.

The difference between DB and HD is the pin density. CGA/EGA cards use the DB-9 plug (looks exactly like a 9-pin serial port). VGA cards use the HD-15 plug. The size of both are the same, but the HD-15 plug has 15 pins more densely packed together.
    Can anyone confirm if the frequencies are different hence the use of the scan doubler?

Thanks all

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rekin View Post
    Thanks for the link, but unfortunatly that solves half of my problem

I found this on another forum;

Can anyone confirm if the frequencies are different hence the use of the scan doubler?

Thanks all
    CGA is 15Khz so unless you can get commercial LCD's like used for arcade machines it wont work.

EGA is less common and hard to convert , also there are few EGA standards that very between 24 and 25Khz
    VGA is 31Khz 640 x 480 and about the min most monitors will accept these days , some wont go that low and will except 38Khz SVGA min.

All is not lost though , you can get a converter for LCD that will convert your CGA signal to standard 15 pin VGA

There are only 6 Wires used on the 9 pin CGA connector , RGB, Gnd , H-Sync and V-Sync , there are little adapters available from 9pin to 6 pin RGB that the above converter uses as the input.

Thanks

Can you just remove the old cga video card and put in an old vga card. Does it have ISA or PCI.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Joey View Post
    CGA is 15Khz so unless you can get commercial LCD's like used for arcade machines it wont work.

EGA is less common and hard to convert , also there are few EGA standards that very between 24 and 25Khz
    VGA is 31Khz 640 x 480 and about the min most monitors will accept these days , some wont go that low and will except 38Khz SVGA min.

All is not lost though , you can get a converter for LCD that will convert your CGA signal to standard 15 pin VGA

There are only 6 Wires used on the 9 pin CGA connector , RGB, Gnd , H-Sync and V-Sync , there are little adapters available from 9pin to 6 pin RGB that the above converter uses as the input.
    The LCD's are exactly what i was after! Thank you very much Joey for a fast response!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Moof View Post
    Can you just remove the old cga video card and put in an old vga card. Does it have ISA or PCI.
    As its a large industrial machine, it will be too difficult to replace the video card.

Thanks

Thanks

As its a large industrial machine, it will be too difficult to replace the video card.

Thanks
    Should have also mentioned there are plently of brand new CRT monitors available if LCD works out to expensive.
    I have brand new 20" CGA monitors for $250 , and Triple resolution 29" CGA / EGA / VGA pure flat for only $550.00
    While these sort of monitors are old hat in the computer industry they are still current technology in the arcade industry.

Thanks

Should have also mentioned there are plently of brand new CRT monitors available if LCD works out to expensive.
    I have brand new 20" CGA monitors for $250 , and Triple resolution 29" CGA / EGA / VGA pure flat for only $550.00
    While these sort of monitors are old hat in the computer industry they are still current technology in the arcade industry.
    any chance you would know where i could source 4-5 15-17inch CRT monitors?
    The website above only have 20inch CRT...

Thanks again.

Thanks

any chance you would know where i could source 4-5 15-17inch CRT monitors?
    The website above only have 20inch CRT...

Thanks again.
    I am actually just placing an order for some 15" CGA CRT monitors , I'll have at least 10 spare these are $220 each. 17" are not available anymore and were rarely used for anything other than PC's.

The 15" are open frame type suitable for commercial / industrial applications.

Pm me if you need any more info.

Thanks

I am actually just placing an order for some 15" CGA CRT monitors , I'll have at least 10 spare these are $220 each. 17" are not available anymore and were rarely used for anything other than PC's.

The 15" are open frame type suitable for commercial / industrial applications.

Pm me if you need any more info.
    PM sent!
    thanks