Thread: "The Basics" are they still around ?

1/2 way between C1 & D2 inclined @ 2.4 deg
    Thanks

Default "The Basics" are they still around ?

A few years ago and before Armageddon, I seem to recall a really detailed and comprehensive explanation of how encryption systems work - with an obvious bias towards irdeto 1.

With some spare time on my hands now, I was hoping to get back into where I left off.

Hardware wise, I have the following: Humax 5400 (which seems pretty good still with 2 CAM slots, one installed with an Irdeto Cam - I never updated the Humax firmware from abt 2001 - that a problem ??). 90cm offset dish with motor and everything's running OK with a Select TV and Aurora Sub Cards.

I built the Jaycar Wafer programmer a few years ago - and mucked about a bit with that, but it's now in a box somewhere which i can drag out. I have downloaded the "dummies guide" to producing a Goldy with the Itdeto1_MOSC.zip package - but want to know more other than click here, paste there.

So, I want to know what else I might need to get me up and running to really get into this stuff.- apart from time and knowledge..

A season interface/logger ?? Where can I build/buy one. if I had a dream-box could I achieve the same thing - would I be better off upgrading to that because there seems to be a lot of stuff around for it rather than persist with a season interface in my Humax (am i on the right track ???)

I appreciate any help you can give - even pointers to more "dummies" tutorials.

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It depends on exactly what you are trying to do and what you want to know.

Thanks

Well i guess that's part of the problem - Knowing what you can do and what you should know. Hence my request for a general tutorial of the system(s) and what you would need, hardware & Software to pursue it

The challenge for me is to understand how the system that delivers pictures to my TV via any digital method works. Then, how encryption systems work, the differences between the different methods id1, id2, nagravision etc - might even be interesting understanding the history of it all, B-Mac etc.

Rather than just rip and copy, I want to know what's going on. I know that there are people that will sell me a simple solution, obvioulsy illegal but that's not what i am chasing. - Bit like as an old Ham radio operator, I preferred to build my own rather than buy one off the shelf.

It's very hard knowing where to start when you are looking at a big maze and I guessed the newbie forum would be a logical place to start.

So, to answer the question Sanity - not actually sure. just seemed like an interesting way to pass a quiet Sunday Afternoon. Something else to get my head around !

Banned
    Thanks

nickbo,

I'm with you mate.

It sounds like Im at a similar level to you, unfortunately I'm unable to help you as I am on the same quest.

You can spend hours on this forum trying to find a simple answer. It's like looking for the holy grail.

Sometimes I find the best way to learn stuff is to go out and spend money and try. I'm still not sure what exactly a Dreambox is and what its capable of but if I just buy one and stuff around with it I'll find out real quick. It would be cheaper to do that than waste so much time on this forum asking questions and not getting very far.

I'm an electrician and when I wanted to learn about TV antennas I went out and spend $4000 on a field strength meter and learned that way. It opened up the world of satellite tv etc etc.... Best 4k i've ever spent

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by slothslag View Post
    It would be cheaper to do that than waste so much time on this forum asking questions and not getting very far.
    I think if you ask a straight question and you will most likely get
    some straight answers
    You will find the guys here very helpful and will assist you anyway they
    can.
    But you can't go looking for the holly grail if you don't know what the
    holly grail is

To your sought of question about the dreambox,you should read this

It should put help with the basics.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Thanks to all that responded.

the search for the holy grail continues - just hope i don't come across too many frenchies in towers hurling abuse at me !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nickbo View Post
    Thanks to all that responded.

the search for the holy grail continues - just hope i don't come across too many frenchies in towers hurling abuse at me !
    I spit in your general direction you english k-nigg-its.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt like elderberries.

Ahhh good times.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 34,961 Times in 9,058 Posts

Hello,
    I stated in another thread that it may be a good idea for people to read a document called Activate11. This is a dated but excellent description of the Irdeto1 system. It may even get people enthused as it did for many of us years ago.

There is a link in this post

Cheers
    enf
    The fact that there's a highway to hell and a stairway to heaven says a lot about the anticipated traffic flow.