Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 9Volt Battery Mod, How does it work?

Thanks

Default 9Volt Battery Mod, How does it work?

Hi guys,

I had a question concerning hearing people discuss a battery mod used to mimic a phone line or something.

In theory how does this work and can this be used for PC testing when installing an O/S and modem drivers so that we can test the modem has a dial tone?

Any links, info, pics, tuts would all be appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

the box detects 9 power and thinks it connected to a phone line...if you want something to test..you may need a "telephone line simulator"

later

Thanks

Thanks for that Shortcity... I tried googling for some of this stuff but failed to find anything is there anywhere I can read up on this further?

Thanks again.

Banned
    Thanks

Basically what happens is the box when ordering a PPV will activate the internal PTSN modem, BUT IT WONT DIAL OUT.

It then stores the purchase information on the smart card and at the end of the billing cycle (i.e.: month, which for Optus is always the 20th of each month) the box will then phone home and tell the server what you have ordered.

So the battery comes into play to basically simulate the phone line dial tone.

NOTE:
    Optus have started to crack down on this method becuase once you reach the preset purchase limit (which is $100 a month) the box advises the customer they need to call customer service up in order to order any more PPV events (including NVOD movies)

The trick around it though is to always stay under $100 a month as the smart card has to be reset because it can only hold so much info.

So ordering 1 PPV per month is fine using the 9v battery method, but only then if you are sure that its within the new billing cycle.

Anyway, its prety much useless now with those white gamma cards out there if your satellite based, but for cable its up to the end user to decide if they want to use this method.

Thanks

I tried what has been discussed and it doesn't seem to work. I get a message from the system test as " Telephone line is busy" Shouldn't the correct message say " Telephone line is sucessfully connected"

Is a 9 volt battery being used here? I've searched for the voltage at which the dial tone is at but no luck.

Thanks,
    Hammer

Thanks

try an iq box maybe

later

Banned
    Thanks

does this work with a foxtel IQ satellite box?

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Escape_from_Oz View Post

So ordering 1 PPV per month is fine using the 9v battery method, but only then if you are sure that its within the new billing cycle.
    Why can you order only 1 PPV per month. Shouldn't you be able to watch $100 dollars worth every month before it wants to dial out?

What happens when it wants to you call customer service and when foxtel asks you to plug in a phone line and you dont have one, will they just reset your box?

Can anyone else report success with this method? How many times can u do it before it wont let you watch pictures?

When does it dial out, anyone know??

Thanks

the battery part is the easy bit..once the card is "full"..it wont allow you to order any more...you have to ring pox to order...now if you know anything about "handshake protocols" you maybe able to connect to your pc via a line simulator, , and communacate with the stu...i dont know, maybe someone knows ????

later

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slothslag View Post
    What happens when it wants to you call customer service and when foxtel asks you to plug in a phone line and you dont have one, will they just reset your box?
    If you don't have the phoneline connected, how did you order PPV movies? you can't call customer service for resetting. your card needs to be changed (dog needs to eat it etc)

Can anyone else report success with this method? How many times can u do it before it wont let you watch pictures?
    It works. But only with IQ boxes. I don't know the limit. Some say $50, some $100, some $150.

Never dials out because you can't connect the phoneline anymore. not even the next month or next year I heard.

Edit: try googling sky 9v trick as it's really populer in UK among sky viewers.

Banned
    Thanks

Why can you order only 1 PPV per month. Shouldn't you be able to watch $100 dollars worth every month before it wants to dial out?

No because there is always a $100 spend limit per month

A few people I know tried it, went over $100 spend limit and basically they got the same message, call customer service up if you want to order.

The only time* Foxtel or Optus will ever reset your set top unit is if you dont pay the bill ect ... because they have to send code to re open your package selection up, but the risk there is bad credit record against you for not paying the bill (in Optus case its after 3 months before finalcial services catch up with you and in Foxtel case after 30 days)

I should note that the battery trick works with the Pace DC 420-F (Foxtel) - O (Optus) boxes and of course the iQ boxes.

the minimum spend is $100 per month

Also as stated the smart card can only hold so much info on it and from what my understanding is NVOD and PPV info is not stored on the reserved memory which is why the box always trioes to call home on the 20th of each month so they can bill you for any NVOD and PPV purchases made, therefore if your box does not call home that info gets deleted (well it should)

*It should be noted that there is a bypass method, call Optus technciall faults up and tell them you have lost all channels and that you have done both soft (basic power cycle) and hard reset (where you download the firmware), they will "hit" your box with your package selection up and that should clear the smart card at the same time.

Worst comes to worst (and that means 1 time only deal) you can always kill the card, call them up and get them to give you a replacement card, they wont be able to use the old card because once the chip is dead it stays dead (cant be revived)

again that is a one time only deal though, its not like you can do that every month.

Thanks

So....

1. When do you hit the contacts with 9V? Do you have to press "select" on the remote first?
    2. Which to wires do you contact? The inner pair or outer? Does the polarity matter?

Thanks

A mate at work did this and has hit the limit, and its been like that for the last couple of months, how do you clear the card
    Does he plug the battery back in before the 20th and wait

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JK200SX View Post
    So....

1. When do you hit the contacts with 9V? Do you have to press "select" on the remote first?
    2. Which to wires do you contact? The inner pair or outer? Does the polarity matter?
    Anyone?.....
    Also can anyone confirm it to work with std sat box?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JK200SX View Post
    Also can anyone confirm it to work with std sat box?
    No...It Needs To Be IQ Box....I can't get it to work, but that's whats been said here before.

Although I built one for a mate with IQ and we didn't get it to work ?

Thanks

works in most sat boxs
    phone line needs to be active in menu
    polarity dont matter and middle pins

Thanks

I had mine connected to my Engin VOIP line.
    But now have the problem of clearing the card.
    Someone told me to connect to a phone line and do
    the installer test to clear the card.
    Anyone confirm this?
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshots View Post
    I had mine connected to my Engin VOIP line.
    But now have the problem of clearing the card.
    Someone told me to connect to a phone line and do
    the installer test to clear the card.
    Anyone confirm this?
    Correct
    It needs to be a POTS phone line not a VOIP line as most modems do not work over VOIP.

Thanks

Ok thanx
    When i do the installer test to clear the card, will i be billed for the 3 months of PPV TV i have bludged?
    Old Dog, No Flies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twoshots View Post
    Ok thanx
    When i do the installer test to clear the card, will i be billed for the 3 months of PPV TV i have bludged?
    More than likely but I can't confirm that. Sorry.

• Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast