Thread: Email error windows vista

Thanks

Default Email error windows vista

Ive just installed windows vista on my pc, when it asked for a product key i left it blank and continued installation. Once done i tried to access my email but i get the following error The item you selected is unavailable, it might have been moved, renamed or removed.

Could that be due to the fact i didnt enter a product key during installation?
    Is there anyway to fix the email program to get it running??

Look Here ->
    Thanks

... nothing to do with the product key ...

Did you do a 'fresh' install of vista? or did you install (upgrade) over previous OS?

It sounds like you did not install all the modules .. but had already some links defined ... so when trying to 'run' the application via the link it did not find the specified file ...

Best is to do a FULL new installation - if you don't need any 'old' applications ... because Vista is not compatible with all of the older windows apps ... some just don't work and you will need to run them in compatibility mode (if you are lucky) ...

EDIT: It sounds like you installed over old system as in old windows XP there is outlook express (the mail client) ... Vista does NOT have outlook express ... it has Windows Mail instead ... so the message you are getting is corret .. your old link will not work as its trying to find outlook express? ... You need to configure windows mail and THEN import all your pld mail data ... (there is some help in the application to let you know how to do this..)

... hope this is helpful

Thanks

thanks for the reply but i actually done a ful install of windows vista. Is it possible to redownload the email program?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by |Rocka Fella| View Post
    thanks for the reply but i actually done a ful install of windows vista. Is it possible to redownload the email program?
    ... did you format your hard drive during the installation? or did you use the existing partition?

... its sounds odd that 'remains' of a broken shorcut to be present on a virgin install of Vista

.... its not easy to run outlook express on vista because it relies on code within explorer and Vista has its 'own' different explorer - hence new email client called 'windows mail' ... this client is actually beter than outlook express and similar in usage .. if you did a clean install and don't have old email data to import ... then its best you use windows mail ...

... to start windows mail ..

goto 'all programs' in the START menu .... then look for Windows Mail ... click on it and it should start ...

go through and configure for your your mailserver, etc ....

.. hope this helps you get going with Vista and windows mail

Thanks

There is no email link when i go to all programs the only link is pinned to the actual start menu.. its gone missing lol

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

Rockafella,

click on computer/OS/program files/windows mail (you may need to 'accept' some nag screens)

right click on winmail.exe/send to desktop(create shortcut)

you can then copy the shortcut to quick launch.

just click on shortcut to launch windows mail.

Thanks

Its not there Hoe, just had a look in c: program files

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,599 Times in 1,950 Posts

must be a 'lite' version of vista.....

did you download it from the net ?

you can use microsoft outlook, try and get a copy of office 2007 and install outlook, word etc....

Thanks

was already on my comp yer it is a lite version but i just bought an upgrade for it and im installing now hopefully it will work