Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What OS do you still use?

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Default What OS do you still use?

Not that i am against change, but all my PC's and laptops still run on XP.
    Its works, its quick enough, it networks fine.... and basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I watched all the dramas unfold when Vista came out, and i hated working on it.

I haven't had anything to do with Windows 7, as much as to notice it has network sharing issues with a lot of media players.

So for my everyday work, i'm still happy with XP.

Is there any major reason to change to one of the newer Operating Systems?

Look Here ->

Thanks

Although it was a bit of a pig when it was released (about 6 months too early IMHO), Vista was quite stable by the time W7 was released. I'm currently in the process of migrating the office from XP to 7, and haven't had any issues with integration or sharing either at home or the office.

People are always quick to blame the OS when a particular app doesn't work, when most of the time it's the app developer not having released an appropriate patch or version of software suitable for the new OS.

XP although very stable, is now a little long in the tooth. There are some apps that now quite simply wont run on it, or will have limited functionality. Time to move on, and W7 is certainly a good place to be. If you're feeling adventurous though, download Ubuntu and give it a shot
    Last edited by Drift; 25-08-10 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks

Our 3 main PCs still run XP SP3 and I'm very happy with it...does everything I need. The lounge room HTPC runs W7 as the built in media centre is excellent.

Forget Vista, never use it. W7 is like XP but new....IF XP does everything you want stick with it...If you want something that looks shiny and new, and also works well, go for W7.

Thanks

I use Vista. Haven't had a problem with it.

I run a website and FTP from it, and use it daily to browse the net, word processing, for playing games, drafting etc... Only ever restarts once a month (and I think this happens automatically when the windows updates happen).

Have a home network of six computers, and never had an issue. 2 of the other computers run XP, 1 of the others has vista, and the other two have Win7. All seem to work well together if you were thinking of doing one at a time.

A lot of people seem to have a problem with vista. I can't really see why because it's very similar to XP and Windows 7 in terms of appearance and functionality these days. I think it's more that people just don't like change (and that it's got a crappy name).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Not that i am against change, but all my PC's and laptops still run on XP.
    Its works, its quick enough, it networks fine.... and basically, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I watched all the dramas unfold when Vista came out, and i hated working on it.

I haven't had anything to do with Windows 7, as much as to notice it has network sharing issues with a lot of media players.

So for my everyday work, i'm still happy with XP.

Is there any major reason to change to one of the newer Operating Systems?
    The reason you would change to a newer OS then XP is if a newer operating system has a particular feature you like OR if you bought new hardware, my computer for example is probably 4 years old and I cant find drivers for it for XP 64bit so i use windows 7. Not that theres anything wrong with windows 7 mind you, it's probably on par with XP in my mind as the best windows OS. I like the feature of pinning programs to the task bar :P its handy and a good way of organizing active programs without taking up lots of space.

Thanks

I use Ubuntu and Arch, and have never regretted the choice - you asked

Still have one PC with XP, as this is the wifes, to keep her happy, although did a fresh *upgrade* from home to pro in the last week, as the old drive was physically full of crap applications and I reckon the registery was just about to fall over - although this had been in regular use for several years. Unfortunately I have to spend more time on installing other apps (i.e. Office, Acrobat, etc) that come as standard in the install process under Linux.

Yep agree, if it aint broke why fix it - as especially with home use, have no real disire to have cutting edge technology (keeping up with the Jonses), as in the end it all does the same thing, maybe a little slower, but it gets there
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

Windows 7 Ultimate x 3
    Windows 2000 x 1
    Windows Vista Black Edition x 1

The one with Vista hasnt been turned off for 3.5 years as it records security video. More than happy with its reliablity, even funnier its running on a cheap Acer laptop that many of us here have ( remember my laptop giveaway thread ? )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mokilok View Post
    I cant find drivers for it for XP 64bit
    Brings up an interesting point of when Microsoft end their support for XP.

Found the following article, but unsure what date to pick - as not just a simple matter of saying from x you have no support/updates!

Of interest, with the wifes PC, found that the anti-virus was amber (as opposed to green -> all good) because it took sometime to update from the SP3 CD update to current status, and the anti-virus was aware this was not fully patched. Some concern could be raised for an OS that is no longer updated!
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

Windows 7 Ultimate x 4
    Windows XP x1
    Laptop Windows XP x1

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,460 Times in 5,194 Posts

Yeah no real reason to change for me.... just wondered what others did or felt on the subject.

Don't need shiney and new, in fact i find the new GUI (Vista onwards) really painful. If i wanted a Mac i'd buy one

And yes, many have tried to get me onto Unbuntu... great for those that like to tinker, i just like it to work. I guess that is why i'm asking the question, as XP does all i need, nothing i have can't be run on it, its simple clean and easy...
    I just found the newer OS's asked you questions like an Indian Help line at Telstra everytime you went to change a setting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oceanboy View Post
    Yeah no real reason to change for me.... just wondered what others did or felt on the subject.

Don't need shiney and new, in fact i find the new GUI (Vista onwards) really painful. If i wanted a Mac i'd buy one

And yes, many have tried to get me onto Unbuntu... great for those that like to tinker, i just like it to work. I guess that is why i'm asking the question, as XP does all i need, nothing i have can't be run on it, its simple clean and easy...
    I just found the newer OS's asked you questions like an Indian Help line at Telstra everytime you went to change a setting.
    this is true, but its meant to prevent virus's and spyware and when it comes to xp virus and spyware is a big problem. XP is a very efficient system though, we still use it for work and have no plans to upgrade anytime soon, only one machine at work is on windows 7 the rest are all xp or server 2k3. xp does everything you need it too very efficiently.

Thanks

I was a die hard XP user too But once you get use too windows 7 you will not go back to XP.

• The Following User Says Thank You to DND For This Useful Post:

matt29502 (23-10-11)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Have 3 on XP and one on windows 7 x64(came installed). Much harder to network Xp and win 7 but once fixed it works well.

Win 7 is pretty but Xp does all I want of it and I can't see myself changing anytime soon. A lot of my old programs will not run on Win 7 X64 and a lot of computers now come with it standard because of the 4+Gb of ram they have

The netbook I recently purchased came pre-installed with Xp to make it run faster...most people say there is little difference in speed between Xp and Win 7 but they are usually putting it on newer and more powerful machines.

Win 7 is definitely faster than Vista but Xp is still king in the speed stakes.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    H

Win 7 is definitely faster than Vista but Xp is still king in the speed stakes.
    It's pretty hard to get a direct and fair comparison though. XP will run (albeit a little sluggishly) on 128MB RAM, 7 32bit requires at least 1GB & 64bit requires 2GB. Processor requirements are also vastly different. XP can't take full advantage of the new multi core architecture where as 7 is built for it.

So far as load times are concerned, a fresh build of both XP & 7 boot in a similar time frame and apps open just as fast on both. Sure for some there is no need to upgrade, but the same thing happens when ever a new OS is released. There were still plenty that held on to 98 & 98SE and bagged the crap out of XP when it was released. The same are now singing the praises of XP and not wanting to move.

W7 is the best OS out of M$ since 98SE IMO. It's stable, fast, well supported and the included driver suite is nothing short of incredible.

Thanks

xp (some family members would find it hard to go up) also have to much software for it still...
    win7(if the machine(s) can take it)
    linux (will be having more and more of this for personal use - either a dedicated machine/maybe dual boot, or virtual)

I very much like win7. I do not like the fact that You need to upgrade your O/S then possibly you external hardware and then the software just to run it.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks

vista on my main laptop, 7 on my netbook, xp on a desktop i never use and we have a 98 lying around. still goes well too...

Thanks

Ubuntu 9.04 on my server, and windows 7 (64bit) on my PCs. Nothing beats windows 7. I really can't fault it - very strong, fast, stable, and looks the goods too!

I have just realised how useful the video/picture libraries are. No more clicking through various drives and folders to find my shows

RHCP.
    Democracy: Three wolves and a sheep voting on what's for lunch.

Thanks

Win 7 64bit Ultimate on the HTPC, slow but stable (core 2 3.2GHz processor, Asus P35 mobo, 4Gb ram and an Asus ATI 5670 gfx card. Then a Samsung laptop running Xubuntu 10.4 LTS, (once again core 2, 4GB ram and intel graphics) very fast but a bit more flaky on software support; still pretty good as my biggest issue is support for just a single parallel port which isn't even hardware on that system and a Symbian phone - very experimental at this stage.
    There are copies of Win98SE, Dos 6.1, Vista 64bit, XP MCE2005, and XP64 and Win 7 Pro here; I like both XUbuntu and Win7 64 Ultimate the best so far by enough to use them everyday. It's your choice what you do too.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,060 Posts

Win 2000 on two laptops and six desktops all perfect.
    XP on one desktop only for certain programs. Bill Gates is only alive because I cannot get my hands on him.
    Win 7 on three desktops. I basically like it, but have had to rebuild one after an update screwed it.
    A lot of applications I use for programming EPROMS and dedicated controllers need full access to DOS.
    Try saving a .ASM FILE from wordpad in windows after NT4.

Thanks

windows 98 on my old dinosuar desktop and windows xp sp3 for the one im on now

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast