Thread: Converting DVD Formats.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Default Converting DVD Formats.

I recently bought 'On Special' a copy of Aimersoft Video Convertor Pro and so far have managed to copy DVD content to a 'Media Player' with only the usual hair tearing stuffups.
    Some time ago I copied a DVD to remove the region code and sent it to the USA but as it is in PAL, it wont play on their Computer/DVD.
    So earlier this week I redid the DVD from PAL to NTSC using this Convertor which took a couple of hours but when using Nero 7 to burn the files to a DVD, it took over 7 hours to burn to the DVD.
    Apart from the 'Features' portion on the DVD being badly distorted, the actual body of the movie appears to be viewable.
    I had to use a Dual layer DVD as the copy which surprised me but then I have never done this before.
    I was wondering if anyone has used this Convertor and may be able to tell me what did I do wrong to make it take so long to Burn.

The Movie I was converting is 'They're a Weird Mob' made in 1966 starring Walter Charrari.
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 27-08-10 at 03:05 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Look Here ->
    Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Sometimes these things are a real pain. What I do these days is get an avi off the net and convert it to the format of choice (pal or ntsc) with convertxtodvd to burn a suitable dvd for a different country
    eg: for your movie a quick search found
    Code:
    rapidshare.com/files/377125218/TAWMob.part01.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377125219/TAWMob.part02.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377143978/TAWMob.part03.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377143983/TAWMob.part04.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377162599/TAWMob.part05.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377162603/TAWMob.part06.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377277391/TAWMob.part07.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377277394/TAWMob.part08.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377284679/TAWMob.part09.rar
    rapidshare.com/files/377284680/TAWMob.part10.rar
    edit...I don't think the above is in widescreen format but you get the idea
    Last edited by mandc; 27-08-10 at 03:30 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gordon_s1942 View Post
    Some time ago I copied a DVD to remove the region code and sent it to the USA but as it is in PAL, it wont play on their Computer/DVD.
    I find that an interesting statement, as generally find that VLC handles mostly everything I throw at it. I am interested to know what was used to view this.

7 hours to copy a disc sounds excessive, unless you have a fair amount of data and the burn rate set low.
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

I am just wondering if (free) would be a better choice to grab/convert the video_ts folder? does it not have a PAL/NTSC converter option? or perhaps changing the frame rate from ? (I'm guessing) then using convertxtddvd (ask in prem section) which should burn said movie file(s)

7 hours seems too long to burn. even at 4x DL, the time to convert could be right as it does take time

*note , not sure, have never done it, I do what Mandc says

edit: just took a look at handbrake faq "The big difference is that PAL DVDs are encoded at 25fps, while NTSC DVDs are encoded at 30fps. Also, PAL DVD frames are larger: 720*576 as opposed to 720*480 for NTSC."

which suggests why you have some of the movie not viewable...(guessing) although I would have thought you friends in the US using VLC would still be able to watch it..not on dvd player but on pc at least

editx2: Or because you have converted it already. using convertxtodvd to burn the final output. I think it does auto detetct, so if it detects NTSC format it will burn as NTSC?? or perhaps just using "dvdlab pro" (I think its called , which I have never used but heard good things about)
    Last edited by z1gg33; 27-08-10 at 06:13 PM.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Premium Member

Thanks

I was wondering when I started Nero it said I had more NTSC than PAL and did I want to burn the disc as NTSC so was wondering did NERO either take the PAL files and convert them or tried to convert NTSC to NTSC again??
    I am leaning very heavily on the reconverting by the way the proram ran and the light in the DVD didnt appear untill very much later.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

that probably explains why it took seven hours, NERO was doing some conversion on it pre burn.

Honestly, I'd re-do it and I would not use nero to burn the DVD.

I either try. DvdLab pro to do the whole rip/convert/burn. (I think i may have the name wrong its the one that has platinum in the name - which I am sure someone will know)

Or use something like Handbrake to convert it to a mp4, using 30FPS and aspect ratio of 720*480 then using convertxtodvd to un-covert it and and burn to DVD (which is double handling and will obviously reduce quality)

*note again never done this... I'd just d/l it and use converxtodvd

I am sure someone will offer a better solution
    Last edited by z1gg33; 27-08-10 at 07:10 PM.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,560 Times in 1,311 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post

I either try. DvdLab pro to do the whole rip/convert/burn. (I think i may have the name wrong its the one that has platinum in the name - which I am sure someone will know)
    DvdFab Platinum?

• The Following User Says Thank You to mandc For This Useful Post:

z1gg33 (27-08-10)

Thanks

thats the one

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandc View Post
    DvdFab Platinum?
    Excellent prog...will analyse/rip/burn a standard quality dvd5 disc in about 40mins or so

Thanks

sorry just a quick thought....maybe ask you US friends to install and see if the original DVD you sent works(on PC) before going to all the trouble of re-doing it. then again, if you want them to be able to play on a dvd player, i guess you will need to do the conversion for them. again not very experienced but cheapo DVD players should be able to swap from NTSC/PAL?? they must have a name brand!
    Last edited by z1gg33; 27-08-10 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Better still maybe get your friends to check it the dvd player does divx/xvid and if it does just rip it as an Avi.

Mickstv

Thanks

I can't see why there are problems, PCs can handle any video of any format if the codec is installed. If your friend want to watch the dvd on a dvd player and the pal/ntsc is the issue maybe it's his dvd player, I would say every brand el-cheap-o dvd player can play Divx so why not use that format. I guess it all depends on what content your sending him. Home video or copied commercial video. The only format video I can't play is the encrypted nightlife music videos but everything else I ever got my hands on plays. I use Mega Codec Pack for my video codecs.

Premium Member

Thanks

The person the origonal DVD was sent to is not apparently very computer able but I was told they tried to find someone to play/convert the DVD but with no success.
    I will stand correcting on this but unlike here and NZ where our DVD players can handle both PAL and NTSC, this doesnt appear to be the case in the US.
    You only have to read any International seller of DVD's with their warnings about Region Code/Format to prospective North America/Canada that the DVD may not play there.
    I will send what I have done and see what happens.
    Thanks everyone for you help and advise.

Thanks

Interesting, well on the side of the Codec Pack it has an easy install option, only asks 2 questions during install.

NTSC is one format they use the other is FILM. But I have sent PAL video to friends in the US and at least on the PC they never said they can't view it. But then we all use the mega codec pack too.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mickstv View Post
    Better still maybe get your friends to check it the dvd player does divx/xvid and if it does just rip it as an Avi.

Mickstv
    This would be my suggestion as you never get region problems with an AVI file.