Thread: Port availability... And who gets what??

Thanks

Default Port availability... And who gets what??

Hey all,

I've just signed up for ADSL after a move across the country. For the second time in as many years whilst applying for ADSL I was knocked back and then approved by another provider within the same day.

Example 1. Phone TPG last year after going through the processes a week later I was told no ports available in the area. 5 minutes later I call Bigpond and have the ADSL connected through them the following day (luckily the tech was scheduled for then)

Example 2. As I had 8 months ADSL available with Bigpond I decided to at least use up the remainder of that plan as it also included free transfer... Told by Mr Bigpond that ADSL wasn't available in the area (no ports available). Again 5 minutes later I call iiNet - yep there are ports available four days later, I have ADSL connected.

In both examples, being regional QLD thence regional WA, Telstra are the only Carriers for ADSL.

Now my question: Is there a limited number of ports available to Telstra and the rest must be sold through other providers? Or is it best in first dressed?? Or do other providers run the risk and pre purchase ports in the hope of selling them off???

Cheerio

PS Now off to argue with Bigpond to get the remainder of my contract waived... HA, good luck to me!!

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gitch View Post

Now my question: Is there a limited number of ports available to Telstra and the rest must be sold through other providers? Or is it best in first dressed?? Or do other providers run the risk and pre purchase ports in the hope of selling them off???
    In theory and the law its the best in first dressed. However many stories have come out over the years of people who have been knocked back due to port availability only to surprisingly find out that Bigpond have access to a suddenly available port. Its not the first (or the tenth) time I've heard of cases like this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bigpond kept one or two ports to its self (especially on Minimuxes) just for such a case (I've heard people who used to work for Telstra claim this but an ex-employee is not always the best source).

I hope you have records, if you cant break contract then maybe an inquiry to the TIO is in order.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

I find the second sequence of events interesting, as aren't Telstra the chief controller of ADSL1 equipment.

You positive you are not on iiNets exchange installed equipment (i.e. ADSL2)?
    We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein

Thanks

with the first one i have heard of such situations before what you have is that all re-sellers rely on a published update of ports available within exchanges and these are not always upto date BUT telstra has the upto date details because it is their equipment.

You could ring today and no ports available but ring tomorrow and a port available because some one may have moved / disconnected etc.

with the second option if telstra said there were no ports then they would know as its their gear and in saying that you connected with iinet i would not be surprised if your not on one of their dslams as they are the major adsl supplier in WA.

And yes it is a first in first served allocation

you can have a look here and input your phone number and it will tell you who and what equipment is
    installed in the exchange.

Last edited by fandtm666; 01-09-10 at 02:12 PM.
    dont say linux if i wanted it id install it

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fandtm666 For This Useful Post:

CrYpto (02-09-10),mandc (01-09-10),Mysterex (01-09-10),weirdo (01-09-10)

Thanks

Yeah I've checked my number against the ADSL2exchanges and definitely a Telstra only exchange, even iiNet said likewise.

I so could understand my first example, but the second made zero sense. (Not that I am complaining... better than the alternative!!) Only other reasoning I could come up with is that Bigpond have tried up selling to the more expensive and less practical Wireless NextG??