Thread: supernet

Thanks

Default supernet

i just got a supernet or supranet dsd and i wanted to know if these are any good. its pretty small, and it looks the same as my sisters poxtel box.

it has some nice features compared to my old uec

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Yes it works well with no overheating problems and as you say a cheap decoder

Thanks

Yes they work quite well and are surprisingly well constructed. Just for the love of god don't attempt to upgrade their firmware!! Digenius, the German authors of the Supernet firmware, provide firmware on but the latest version rendered the hard disk in my Supernet 1160T useless. The Australian distributor has been unable to obtain correct replacement firmware (STBOS E/3.41 2007-06-16) from Digenius and my own appeals to them have been ignored.

If anyone here has a Supernet 1160T and wants to help, please PM me. We should be able to extract it via JTAG, but if not I'll rip it by other means.
    Last edited by gw1; 07-04-08 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks

I Know the firmware on the supernet 480 is easy to upgrade as when they first came out there was a issue that when you were watching a movie the picture and sound was not in sinc. New software fixed the problem easily

Thanks

its the 480

Thanks

Update: I received a response from digenius@digenius.de (makers of Supernet firmware) and they were very helpful, supplying me with the 16-06-2007 08:01 firmware I needed to recover my receiver.

So I've no complaints about the Supernet receiver at all. Loading new firmware via serial is certainly straightforward - just be aware that the "latest" firmware on the digenius website isn't necessarily up to date and it pays to double-check the dates and versions before upgrading!

Thanks

gw1, I had the same problem with a Supernet 2160T. Unfortunately I hadn't seen your post before I tried to "upgrade" from the Digenius site
    The so called upgrade from the Digenius site was dated 2005/06/07 !!!
    I have sent them 2 email and have still not received a reply.
    Any chance of getting your copy of the firmware? Chances are it is the same software - E/3.41
    Also in desperation I tried to "upgrade" the channel list with even worse results. The Australian channels do not feature in Digenius' list.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hardy1963 View Post
    I Know the firmware on the supernet 480 is easy to upgrade as when they first came out there was a issue that when you were watching a movie the picture and sound was not in sinc. New software fixed the problem easily
    Where could I find the program and firmware for Supernet 488?

Thanks

Default Supernet 2160T update

I finally received the correct firmware from Digenius yesterday and full functionality has been restored to my Supernet 2160T. The HDD is working and the tuner successfully picked up all free to air TV/Radio stations available in my locality.
    All my emails to Digenius were not responded it and I only had success after my second phone call to the number displayed on their site.
    Anyone thinking of upgrading their firmware from the Digenius site should take GW1's advice (above) and not do so. HDD support is not available for newer Supernet PVRs in this "upgrade" It may work on older machines.

Shankaram

Thanks

In the 6+ months that have passed since my earlier post I've had regular problems with the Supernet 1160T.
    • After switching on you may find that none of the hard disk recordings will play back properly - the sound and picture stops and starts repeatedly. You can fix by switching off, waiting a few seconds, switching on, waiting maybe ten seconds for it to initialise, then try playing again. Sometimes you need to do this several times before it works. This problem occurs very frequently and is annoying but tolerable.
    • Suppose you switch on, select a channel and press record in order to record a program. On a couple of occasions I have returned to the receiver, pressed stop and tried to replay but found the recording was corrupted by the jerky start-stop-start-stop problem described above. When this happens there is nothing you can do to recover the track, no matter how many times you switch the receiver off & on again. You just have to delete the track.
    • Sometimes the directory gets corrupted and you'll have the same program appear twice. One track will play from the beginning but the second track may start halfway through the program. There's strange behaviour when you try to delete them (I can't remember details though).

These problems get worse over time as the drive gets increasingly fragmented. It mightn't be so bad if digenius provided a defrag/compact menu option, but they don't. Because of these usability problems I no longer recommend Supernet PVRs. Perhaps one day their modern units will fix the bugs, but until I'm convinced of that I won't be buying another one. I have bought three different models over the years but their problems have never been fixed. I used to call them "cheap and cheerful" but now I say they're "cheap junk".

See also this which turned out to be hardware related.
    Last edited by gw1; 20-04-09 at 12:30 AM.

Thanks

Default code menu

How to enter into Code menu of this type receiver? I have supernet 488

Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by Code menu. If you mean secret menus with extra features, the only one I know of is
    - Menu | Main Menu | Edit Settings
    - move highlight to "Save Settings"
    - press Menu button
    - you can now tweak some advanced settings like Country, LNB frequencies, SCART voltage, OSD position

If you mean firmware updates, that's done using a serial cable. On Windows the tool you need is . For other platforms you can .

There's technical information about the Supernet receivers in digenius' .

There are also some hacked firmware versions around including one that allows any size hard drive; . I've not tried them though and I recommend you stay away from hacks unless you have a specific problem you need to fix.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gw1 View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by Code menu. If you mean secret menus with extra features, the only one I know of is
    - Menu | Main Menu | Edit Settings
    - move highlight to "Save Settings"
    - press Menu button
    - you can now tweak some advanced settings like Country, LNB frequencies, SCART voltage, OSD position

If you mean firmware updates, that's done using a serial cable. On Windows the tool you need is . For other platforms you can .

There's technical information about the Supernet receivers in digenius' .

There are also some hacked firmware versions around including one that allows any size hard drive; . I've not tried them though and I recommend you stay away from hacks unless you have a specific problem you need to fix.
    Thanks for information. Yes I am looking for secret menu where I can enter Key code to open channels.

Thanks

Supernet 488 is a very cheap Irdeto receiver. Perhaps you bought it last year with a pirate Austar white card and are trying to figure out how to make it work again. Or you bought it hoping to get free Pay TV. Either way you're out of luck. You can use it to get SelecTV or Aurora using a card, or unencrypted free-to-air channels on other satellites. But AFAIK you can't "enter key code to open channels" because it's not capable of that.

There are some receivers on the market which contain Irdeteo 1 emulators, either in their standard firmware or in hacked versions, which enable you to decrypt Irdeto 1 signals by entering valid keys via a menu. That feature doesn't give access to get Pay TV, but might let you receive Aurora (provided the emulator supports PMKs not just plain keys). Supernet 488 however contains no such emulator, AFAIK; if anyone here knows different I'm sure they'll let us know.

Supernet 488 contains a genuine Irdeto embedded CAM. That means it's capable of decoding standard Irdeto 1 & 2 streams but only in conjunction with a valid subscription card, or a wafer card emulator with valid keys, or a season interface to a card sharing system or PC-based emulator. Those are your only options though. And since Austar's stream is no longer standard the Supernet 488 can't be used with their service any more, even if you're a legit subscriber with a genuine card.

Thanks

Oops! really disappointing.

Thanks

There's nothing wrong with the Supernet 488. It just sounds like you were hoping for a miracle. There's no receiver on the market that does what you're looking for.

Thanks

Its not miracle. I have some other brand reciever. They all have hidden menu. One of the receiver, after big search over internet, finally I got something.

Similarly, this STB might have something. now its a matter of time or S/W upgrade or Adding patch.

Please confirm, Supernet 488 firmware usually done by which company?

Thanks

If you look in the system information menu you will find the name of the company who wrote the firmware. Almost certainly it is digenius.

When I said no receiver does what you're looking for, I was referring to Irdeto 2. Presumably it's an Irdeto 2 service such as Austar you wish to receive using keys? Or is it only Irdeto 1? Your past experience was probably with an older broken cryptosystem that commercial pay tv companies don't use any more. Emulators for modern systems such as Irdeto 2 and NDS are tightly guarded by their developers, in smartcards, not handed out in the firm of receiver firmware which is easily copied.

I acknowledged that some receivers contain emulators or have hacked firmware versions which do. Examples are Humax 54x0, Strong SRT4800 Mk II and Dreamax DT470. And there are others, no doubt. But they are for older cryptosystems which are seldom used now. Also, the large majority of receivers on the market do not have that feature because it's a breach of copyright. Cryptosystem makers such as Irdeto have discouraged that practice in the past by threatening legal action and withholding supply of embedded CAM chips and softcam licensing unless suppliers made reasonable effort to stop hackers from damaging their cryptography's reputation. That's why Humax put glue over their bootstrap port, and why some boot loaders use code signing to discourage modding.

Firmware hacking of the kind we saw with Humax, Strong and Nokia dBox is basically a thing of the past because it's very time consuming compared to the effort needed to customise an open sourced receiver. The only time you'll go to the effort of developing a patch for a binary is if there's a specific goal you can't achieve by simpler means. The Supernet patch to remove PVR hard drive size restriction was done because it was fairly straightforward and worth the effort. But the effort needed to reverse a binary sufficiently to allow a custom softcam or emulator to be incorporated is huge, and nobody will bother doing it when Linux clone receivers of comparable price already do the same thing.

By all means keep searching, but I have been using Supernet receivers for quite a few years and have never seen card emulator patches for them. The discusses modded firmware made several years ago, no emulators were mentioned. I suggest you ask there to see if emulators have since been made, but I doubt it. The PVR patch is a trivial change compared to what you're looking for.