Thread: OLD computer and DVB-S possible :)

Thanks

Cool OLD computer and DVB-S possible :)

Gday,

I have done some tests with different PC's and cards (DVB-S/S2) and when using a Celeron 2.93GHz with 256 ram I only had 1% cpu usage - just tested on a Celeron 633 MHz machine with 256 ram and highest SPU usage was when immediatly switching channels 20 odd % usage and when recording was abot 13-18%.... This was done with DVBDream 1.4i and all on SD channels - I will try HD 2moro..........

ANY Thoughts for old PC's to record and stream content to other PC's in the house?? 1TB HDD's are cheap theese days......

James..

Look Here ->
    Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzyjim View Post
    Gday,

I have done some tests with different PC's and cards (DVB-S/S2) and when using a Celeron 2.93GHz with 256 ram I only had 1% cpu usage - just tested on a Celeron 633 MHz machine with 256 ram and highest SPU usage was when immediatly switching channels 20 odd % usage and when recording was abot 13-18%.... This was done with DVBDream 1.4i and all on SD channels - I will try HD 2moro..........

ANY Thoughts for old PC's to record and stream content to other PC's in the house?? 1TB HDD's are cheap theese days......

James..
    HD will require greater processor and RAM use.

I'd definitely recommend a RAM increase to at least 1GB, preferably more.

Depending on your motherboard, it may or may not accept 1TB drives.

You could always use them in external USB enclosures, providing your computer has a minimum of USB 2.0
    Last edited by mtv; 01-09-10 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

Thanks

you don't mention what OS (windows?) your using - for an older machine you can't beat Mythtv as an OS - it has everything required to record and stream...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    I'd definitely recommend a RAM increase to at least 1MB, preferably more.
    I think you wanna say 1GB.

• The Following User Says Thank You to comtj For This Useful Post:

mtv (01-09-10)

Thanks

Ooops sorry was win2k prof..... Used this as a) got it hanging round as a legit retail purchase and supports NTFS - so large TS files are a go..... also used DVBDream 1.4i as was last of the free versions I had and seems stable enough... Multiple instances can be run for multiple cards etc... I thought Mythtv was a pay for so didn't worry bout it.. DVBDream is also supposed to be able to record the ENTIRE transport stream - Teletext, EPG, Audio channels, ECM, EMM, PCM etc.. Have yet to do a propper test of this tho with multiple audio streams and check if subtitle info is retained... Is there anway to test if the other ECM, EMM, PCM etc are being recorded too???..

All this is done without ANY codecs installed to be able to watch the video or listen to audio so it doesn't try therefore saves CPU cycles... I am unsure if the renderless mode wld work the same or not - guess it would.. As it is not rendering the video etc I don't think the extra RAM would do any good - I think I can only go to 512 or so on that mobo anyway... I would also probably use a PCI-SATA card to connect any HDD's I record to as this mobo has no sata but is also easy to upgrade to better controllers in the future on ANY board...

I will try HD 2moro if all well a 2nd card and record 2 channels at once to see how it goes!!....

James

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,074 Times in 6,765 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by comtj View Post
    I think you wanna say 1GB.
    Indeed I did... have corrected it.

Thanks for picking that up.

Thanks

as long as they can tolerate the data throughput required for HD, should be fine. Can't see it requiring any more RAM as its just saving data.

MythTV is definately free. I run it at home, I've just moved house as such and don't quite have it set up yet, but my backend is a celeron 2.8GHZ i think with 1GB Ram. Slightly higher spec than your basic machine, but it also commercial flags for me...

It will be getting a few DVB-S/2 cards shortly, and I may end up throwing another backend into the mix. They are all assembled from spares so no big deal really. I share my house with another couple, and I decided that mythtv was the way to go!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

dvbdream has an option for streaming across a network

dvbdream 1.5

option > Preferences > LAN Streaming
    ip
    port
    tick active box (to start it )

obviously the ip listed will work only as a loop directly to vlc player on the same machine so you'll have to change it to the server ip address.

vlc player

file > open network stream > UDP/RTP
    same port as in the dvbdream > ok

If that doesn't work maybe have a look at Progdvb they have a server application.

Mickstv

Thanks

Cheers mate - I'll give the streaming a go when I have time and energy to do it... Want to try out 4:2:2 chroma when I find a broadcast... Probably next V8's (hopef normal tho.. - no 4:2:2 box!!)

tried HD - works fine tho the highest "HD" res I cld get was 1280x720... Added a 2nd card and recorded the 1280x720 and a 720x576 channel at same time from seperate cards and worked well - less than 40% cpu usage on the Celeron 633.... This was with Windows 2k (NTFS file system) and DVBDream 1.4i without rendering the video so was recorded only.... not bad in an emerg I guess - just about any old pc laying around now wld be able to handle recording the stream - I cant be bothered testing on a 366MHz machine tho - That wkd be a single channel only tho I would think!!
    Last edited by Ozzyjim; 02-09-10 at 06:00 PM. Reason: HD info

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

Do you have a C-Band dish? There are the CNN Hong Kong feeds and CNN Pacrim on Intesat 8. All are in 4:2:2.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks

Cheers LP,

sorta got a c-band dish - a 1.8m "solid" (8 petals)... a cheapie but have used it on is8 to test it (only a few times!!) will have to set it up again and try it when the weather is nicer - been dismantled due to a few complaints from my folks ....

On a side note - if anyone uses dvbdream 1.4i - do not select record all audio streams in the pref. menu as I atleast get NO sound... with the box unticked I get it???.... I don't know of any services broadcasting multiple audio tracks to test with either ....

James

Thanks

I think NHK does dual audio from memory

Thanks

Yeah It does on Intelsat 8. You should be able to get it on the 1.8m.

Thanks

Cheers,

Hope to set it up again soon........