Thread: dial-up connection problem

Thanks

Default dial-up connection problem

Hi all, I'm not sure if to post here or another section, but here goes, i'm sure mods will move if deemed neccessary.

I'm having trouble with my dial-up connection, for the life of me I don't know whats going on.

I can turn the pc on and open IE and the dialog box with my internet connection comes up and then I click connect and it connects without any problems, then when I close down IE the dialog comes with stay connected or disconnect! the above is not a problem

However, if i turn on the pc & use other programs such as itunes or even play games, if I then go to connect to the internet when I open IE the connection dialog box will not come up, so to connect to the internet I manually have to go to start>then click connect to my isp., once I am connected its no problems but when I then close IE the dialog box does not appear it remains connected.

To try to fix this problem I deleted my internet connection and used the connection wizard to create a new connection, everythings seems fine for the first couple of times, but as soon as I use another program on my pc the problems as described with internet connection resurface/occurr.

does anyone have any idea of what is going on here, i don't know if its hardware or software problems, my system is as follows

IE 7
    Windows XP SP2
    Core duo CPU
    1 gig ddr2 ram
    80gig hdd (with approx 5 gig free)

using XP's inbuilt firewall, avg antivirus which checks for updates when I connect

any ideas, I don't know what to do?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Ok it appears I have fixed the problem (fingers crossed), as I stated above, running XP with SP2 and remember the auto updater installed IE7 and it was around that time my problem appeared, so I have uninstalled IE7 and reverted back to IE6, everything running ok for the time being now?

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

IE is junk, that is your first problem. Get Firefox. Anything but IE.

Second, Windows is not good at doing anything that well - so asking it to remember to pop up a connection box is like asking Oprah to drop by for a coffee... chances are, it won't happen.

When I used dial-up many years ago, I had an icon on the desktop to connect, and used to right click on the two flashing lights in the system tray and select 'Disconnect'. Worked well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Studio1 View Post
    IE is junk, that is your first problem. Get Firefox. Anything but IE.

Second, Windows is not good at doing anything that well - so asking it to remember to pop up a connection box is like asking Oprah to drop by for a coffee... chances are, it won't happen.

When I used dial-up many years ago, I had an icon on the desktop to connect, and used to right click on the two flashing lights in the system tray and select 'Disconnect'. Worked well.
    since i rolled back to IE6 from ie7 it hasn't missed a beat, very happy with that, although I do have firefox ready to install should Ihave any issues.