Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cheap EBay DVR review

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by imaz View Post
    Do those LED's surrounding the lens do much for night outdoor recording?
    Well you can halve the quoted range to start with

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpv01 View Post
    That 200fps is in CIF resolution - as soon as you up the resolution you will halve the resoltion and the halve it again when you increase further ie when you go to D1 you will have 50 FPS over the 8 cameras.
    At D1(assuming this is the best it can do), over 8 channels(if all used) @ 50fps, isnt this a good rate already? I had though anything above 24~30fps is great already?

Can you point me to some quality products and what their fps are for comparissions sake. The actual figure 50fps already sounds enormous.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

At D1(assuming this is the best it can do), over 8 channels(if all used) @ 50fps, isnt this a good rate already? I had though anything above 24~30fps is great already?

Can you point me to some quality products and what their fps are for comparissions sake. The actual figure 50fps already sounds enormous.
    You're forgetting to divide the 50Fps by 8 cameras. So in actual fact it is 6.25Fps each channel.

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

imaz (20-10-10)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    You're forgetting to divide the 50Fps by 8 cameras. So in actual fact it is 6.25Fps each channel.
    I had noticed your DIY cctv link, and the system you are selling does "200ips". What is fps over 8 channels?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

I had noticed your DIY cctv link, and the system you are selling does "200ips". What is fps over 8 channels?
    8 cameras connected = 6.25fps @ D1 or 25fps @ CIF.
    4 cameras connected = 12.5fps @ D1 or 50fps @ CIF.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by intelliGEORGE View Post
    8 cameras connected = 6.25fps @ D1 or 25fps @ CIF.
    4 cameras connected = 12.5fps @ D1 or 50fps @ CIF.
    So between the system you are selling, and the el cheapo ebay units, the specs would be the same? just the different brand.

Apart from fps, and as watchdog suggested with the camera's, nothing less than 1/3 sensor. Is there anything else to look for, for that acceptable video clarity.

Thanks

So between the system you are selling, and the el cheapo ebay units, the specs would be the same? just the different brand.

Apart from fps, and as watchdog suggested with the camera's, nothing less than 1/3 sensor. Is there anything else to look for, for that acceptable video clarity.
    There is a trap here for young players. You can have two DVRs sitting side by side with the same cameras connected to both, recording precisely the same thing at the same time. On paper, those two DVRs read the same spec wise, so far as resolution, frame rate, compression etc. yet the recorded images can be vastly different. Even more differences present themselves when it comes time to archiving any footage. You may even find with certain DVRs that footage recorded @ CIF is better than other DVRs that record @ D1, even if they're both H.264 or MPEG etc. The same goes for cameras. Sensor size and resolution is not always an indication of a better image.

Because the market is flooded with so much crap these days, even the big numbers are starting to mean bugger all. You're usually safe sticking with the big names if you want image quality. However the Chinese are offering up surprising alternatives with increasing regularity if you're prepared to wade through the mountains of crap to find them.
    Last edited by Drift; 22-10-10 at 01:08 AM.

• The Following User Says Thank You to Drift For This Useful Post:

intelliGEORGE (22-10-10)

Thanks

Has anyone got one of these?

A friend of mine is after a cheap system.... This seems to offer good value for money.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

It seems ok for the price BUT add on import duty , freight & warranty problems & I think you can do better buying local. Look at Rhino or Kobi.
    If you are going budget then I think the MOST IMPORTANT thing is warranty.
    Rhino offers a 4 yr warranty now.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Under $500.00 (I think) there is no GST and perhaps no import duty plus a lot of these places now ship free.

My last order of cameras was $406.00 worth and and being shipped free via DHL so I will find out soon I guess.

Other stuff like lap top screens, ride on mower parts, my new DVR and stuff I've forgotten where all under $300.00 and came streight here no tax.

Thanks

Only declared values of over $1000AUD attract GST and customs dutys.

Chinese are very easy going when it comes with lowered declared values.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    It seems ok for the price BUT add on import duty , freight & warranty problems & I think you can do better buying local. Look at Rhino or Kobi.
    The only problem i have with buying in Oz is the prices charged. Perhaps trade is resonable but retail here seems over the odds to me.

Rhino for example appears to be a trade supplier and does not list prices. I've just bought 4 x 1/3 sony dome cameras with v/focus and 2 x hi rez 1/3 sony dome cameras for AU $406.00 shipped free via DHL and I have bought cameras from them before and had no trouble.

As a retail client in this field China is an attractive option if you buy from a reliable supplier.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

So no edit button at the moment.

Just noticed does have a price list sorry.

In any case they want $208.00 for one of the cameras I just bought for $67.00 at that rate I could buy a spare if one fails and throw the faulty one away and still be ahead

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SystemRat View Post
    So no edit button at the moment.

Just noticed does have a price list sorry.

In any case they want $208.00 for one of the cameras I just bought for $67.00 at that rate I could buy a spare if one fails and throw the faulty one away and still be ahead
    China are also the masters of copied products. Just because it looks identical, doesn't mean it is.

Also, just because a camera uses a Sony CCD, it doesn't mean it's a good camera. If the back end is second rate, the most expensive sensor in the world isn't going to make it any better.

It'll always be cheaper to import equipment than buy locally, even at a trade level. The drama is that unless you jump on a plane and visit the factories in Shenzen, you won't know what you're actually getting until it arrives.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drift View Post
    China are also the masters of copied products. Just because it looks identical, doesn't mean it is.

Also, just because a camera uses a Sony CCD, it doesn't mean it's a good camera. If the back end is second rate, the most expensive sensor in the world isn't going to make it any better.

It'll always be cheaper to import equipment than buy locally, even at a trade level. The drama is that unless you jump on a plane and visit the factories in Shenzen, you won't know what you're actually getting until it arrives.
    In a past life I was the person who jumped on a plane to Taiwan, China and Hong Kong where I inspected production of electronic gear and collected data for compliance testing here. The quality of the major firms there is very good.

Can't say I would like to work in the factories thou. The most expensive component in a camera is perhaps the sensor and optics.

I already own a couple of the cameras from where I've ordered from and I can't fault them so why pay three times more for a local one that for all I know may have been made in a same factory.

I've seen Pelco gear and it is very nice but all I need is something that works around the perimeter of my house. If I was specing cameras for Pine Gap etc then Pelco or better would be the go.

Banned
    Thanks

If anyone is after a good iPhone app for the DVR try EagleEyes Pro $5.99 and very good to use & easy to set up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by watchdog View Post
    No duty for anything under $1k. Checked it out last week.

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

Thanks

Hi Guys, back to the original DVR.

I was also looking at getting one of these here in the UK. Asking the supplier about the way of accessing the images through the internet, he skirted round and never actually mentioned it.

Are these DVR's a purely http driven unit or do they require software clients?

He actually said it required a client, however, with regards to the info gleaned on here, it does not. Now I am confused.

The quality of my no-named DVR is not all that hot, I can deal with it, so buying one of these will not be much different on quality, but better on accesibility.

Regards

Nick

I am NOT the Messiah!
    Thanks

I can only speak for the unit I have and not what your store has but my unit works fine via the Internet using http to bring up the viewer.

My prior AVtech unit also worked via http or client software.

I think the vast majority of unit would work via http and mobile phone these days but i have seen some cheap unit which do not have network connections in the past so its worth confirming the facts prior to paying out money.

• Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast