Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does it cost to run a pc per day?

Commonly found in a pantry or the bottom of a fridge, searching for grains, fermented or distilled
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,421 Times in 2,522 Posts

Default It all comes down to how long these buggers are running per day

The reason I bought an EEE PC (1000H) a couple of years ago was to save on power!!!

Any operations that I need to run all day and all night usually run fine on a low spec machine like this and it consumes something like 8Watts !!! if I have the lid closed and battery charged.
    This is also fully sufficient for those who spend most of their CPU time on the Internet or social networks and office work, which probably applies to 90% of average Joes out there.

So we don't need extra 100GW power stations, just a little more common sense.

I have a few power suckers that are only really needed at an average of a couple of hours, if at all, per day and of course are powered off with the surge board mains switch.
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 22-09-10 at 11:03 PM.
    Update: A deletion of features that work well and ain't broke but are deemed outdated in order to add things that are up to date and broken.
    Compatibility: A word soon to be deleted from our dictionaries as it is outdated.
    Humans: Entities that are not only outdated but broken... AI-self-learning-update-error...terminate...terminate...

Thanks

its been really interesting trying to figure thing's out.
    I have for a bit (a week or more) been turning everything off at the wall... like dumb appliances like microwaves,toaster,kettle, plamsa(s), monitors, heaters yada yada (yeah i know very un glamorous) etc.

I have even tried too schedule PC's to do what they need to do, and shutdown after completion.

be very interesting to see the next power bill...

edit: the thing that burns me, is I need 2 pcs on 24/7..... what a bummer.... might look into low wattage???? machines...

edit: TMI: plus I cant sleep with out the laptop going??? anyone have a HDD noise sleep tape
    Last edited by z1gg33; 22-09-10 at 11:34 PM.
    If you feed ducks at a pond, chances are your bound to feed a goose or two without even knowing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by z1gg33 View Post

edit: TMI: plus I cant sleep with out the laptop going??? anyone have a HDD noise sleep tape
    It's a erry silence at night when you turn everything off, on the very odd occasion LOL
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

• The Following User Says Thank You to best4less For This Useful Post:

z1gg33 (23-09-10)

Premium Member
    Thanks

Easiest way is to get a plug in powerconsumption meter ,put in your kw/h price,plug in all your computer after the meter and you know excactly how much you have to pay.Under $30 bucksat Bunnings.

• The Following User Says Thank You to gulliver For This Useful Post:

z1gg33 (23-09-10)

Thanks

Some libraries have kits you can borrow to assess your power usage.
    I haven't got it out but there is one in Wagga Wagga Library.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12