Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What a waste - why do they do it

Thanks

Default What a waste - why do they do it

I know many people, myself included, that have to get into the skips behind Woolies and coles to get the date expired food before the security/cleaners spray it all with insecticide.

Spoke to the sprayers and asked why they do this, they told me 'in case someone eats the food they are throwing out - falls sick - then sues the shop'.

Yeah, it all makes sense to someone ...................

I almost cried when I saw the wastage on Christmas Eve - 6 industrial Skips full to the brim with food, all sprayed and inedible.

Prawns, fish, bread vegies etc.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

years ago they used to give it away to chairites etc, but now there are 2 reasons, one is to do with the legal position you mentioned, but the other one is items that are 'waste' 'shrinkage' have to be thrown out before they can write them off finanically.

This one really seems bad when you see someone hacking up pairs of shoes at a kmart or big w, rather than give them away, they have to waste them

Might surprise you and other bin hunters that a lot of people also tried to present things they got from the bins at the checkout for a refund LOL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mudcrab View Post
    Might surprise you and other bin hunters that a lot of people also tried to present things they got from the bins at the checkout for a refund LOL
    No real surprise - survival - which is only understood by the persons in the the predicament.

As Mr John Howard said the day before he left office "I don't want Australia to be a welfare state like some of the European countries".

Thanks

So have you made an appointment with the manager to intercept the food BEFORE it hits the bins?

If you don't have the confidence to approach him personally I will gladly take you there, and I can bring a company van that can take two pallets, so will easily fit your wheelchair in.

Just say which supermarket is involved.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks

i have a friend who has to padlock his bin as peoplesleep in it and nearly get picked up by the pickup truck
    Been there done that

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 929 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ditch View Post
    i have a friend who has to padlock his bin as peoplesleep in it and nearly get picked up by the pickup truck
    "He's lucky...I used to have to sleep in a rolled up newspaper on side of road" (Pythonesque)
    Last edited by viewer; 11-01-08 at 08:45 AM. Reason: python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by viewer View Post
    "He's lucky...I used to have to sleep in a rolled up newspaper on side of road" (Pythonesque)

Luxury.....gravel for breakfast.....classic comedy stuff....hmmm, torrent !

Thanks

seroiusly there should be no one eating of bins in oz ! frig on welfare they get $400 a f/n .. yer I know there the crackheads and alcholics ... gamblers ... but all choice do they wanna live life like that ... been bum and begging for food ! .. even the old age pensioners always screaming how broke they .. pff! they get disounts here and there all time .. budget money so ya can eat good .. get only food on specials !
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    seroiusly there should be no one eating of bins in oz ! frig on welfare they get $400 a f/n .. yer I know there the crackheads and alcholics ... gamblers ... but all choice do they wanna live life like that ... been bum and begging for food ! .. even the old age pensioners always screaming how broke they .. pff! they get disounts here and there all time .. budget money so ya can eat good .. get only food on specials !
    My Food budget is $27.00 per week after rent and all other outgoings.

The following is an extract from the Government inquiry on poverty among disabled and aged. Over 300,000 of us and rising.

************* Extract follows **************

Poverty and disability – life on the margins of society

Mr X – What I cannot do is live on $400 a fortnight. Actually, I am wrong–I can exist. But I cannot live. I think I am not the only person with a disability in my circumstances who finds this.

Choice…is the key to disability. We have none. We did not choose the disability, it chose us, and now it gives us no choice. My disability cost me $1 million in income lost, past and future earnings, but that is a lesser cost than some have paid, so I have to say that, by comparison, the little things I talk about really boil down to staying alive on $400 a fortnight.

Committee Hansard 28.7.03, pp.1019-20.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    Ever been a disabled pensioner ? IF not you are certainly not qualified to comment ! It sounds like you are still at home with mummy and daddy.

$400/fortnight - (actually it's a bit more than that) but take out rent and just the charges for utilities such as power and phone - without actually using any power or calls, then you have charges for licences, medicines and all the shit that anyone has in a house...and if you are really lucky you can have a bit left for food etc.

Discounts you say - $30 off a power bill doesn't cover the charges ! Wow, $2 off a train ticket.....please name the "discounts here and there all the time". I can't think of or use many. OH, a free rail ticket anywhere in the state once a year.

If you work you get pay rises - pensioners get less increase than the CPI, but not until 6 months after the (bullshit) CPI figures are released. In the last 2 years the pension has gone up by less then $10. How much has your wage gone up ?

I would love to work, and until recently always have...if you want to employ me please do - but you will have to help me get dressed and tie my shoes for me because I fvcking can't. If you think I choose to live like this I hope you have an accident to prove to yourself what a shit existence a pension is.

You haven't a clue what you are on about.

Thanks

As a storeman, I had to start locking the bin in case the bum who was always in it
    got carted off with the rubbish.
    Sounds like a poor retail operation to be throwing away so much at any time of year,
    but I remember having to waste so much stock that I was afraid to record it.

Yeah the dole/pension isn't a king's ransom, it would be cheaper to live out of a car
    in a park, but then you have no address for them to send the form.
    I have wondered if completely homeless people get any allowance.
    Does anyone know?

Thanks

bulbous

You forgot Dental expenses - when your teeth start rotting in your head, for whatever reason - and - the waiting list for tooth extraction (thats all they do when you can't afford fillings) is 2 or more years. Sheer joy .......

Thanks

i find being on the DSP that income is very limited in regards to that i dont even notice a discount with vline, or even connex, power phone gas internet = very to nothing for food, ohh then their is rent, but yes i would gladly dump my disablitys but its not going to happen in a million years i dont think

food power, gas internet all go up with cpi but our pension doesnt i dont see the whole idea about that its unfair and dental at 150 dollars for a filling jeeze it isnt cheap
    become a premium member ---- DO IT NOW!!!!!!
    CFA Member District 9

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    in a park, but then you have no address for them to send the form.
    I have wondered if completely homeless people get any allowance.
    Does anyone know?
    Usually places like Mathew Talbot Hostel, or Vinnes, Salvos look after the forms for the homeless. Under 65 they get Newstart - and yes they have to go for 12 interviews same as everyone else - but the charities help out with this.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    So have you made an appointment with the manager to intercept the food BEFORE it hits the bins?

If you don't have the confidence to approach him personally I will gladly take you there, and I can bring a company van that can take two pallets, so will easily fit your wheelchair in.

Just say which supermarket is involved.
    Thanks for the offer, but do you know I am on the Central Coast of NSW?

And,

Yes I have spoken to the managers involved. Each one had the same answer. Company policy is sell or destroy - if you want it before it's thrown out, pay for it, otherwise it gets tossed and sprayed.

Reminds me of the old story about two kids - one of them couldn't finish his dinner but didn't want to share with the other one. So to make sure the other one couldn't have it he spat and snotted all over it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nonoize View Post
    bulbous

You forgot Dental expenses - when your teeth start rotting in your head, for whatever reason - and - the waiting list for tooth extraction (thats all they do when you can't afford fillings) is 2 or more years. Sheer joy .......

I spend my life savings on such items....because I still have some money in the bank I get a reduced pension - another really fair rule (not) ! I spent $459 at the dentist last year, that will have to do until absolutely necessary...no discounts or assistance available.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nonoize View Post
    Thanks for the offer, but do you know I am on the Central Coast of NSW?

And,

Yes I have spoken to the managers involved. Each one had the same answer. Company policy is sell or destroy - if you want it before it's thrown out, pay for it, otherwise it gets tossed and sprayed.

Reminds me of the old story about two kids - one of them couldn't finish his dinner but didn't want to share with the other one. So to make sure the other one couldn't have it he spat and snotted all over it.
    which Woolies and Coles mate?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Micksxboxmods View Post
    which Woolies and Coles mate?
    The big centers in Erina and Tuggerah also the small ones at Woy Woy. I also got the same response from head offices in Melbourne and Sydney (except they were more politician like in their answers).

"We would not like any harm to befall our customers, therefore we err on the side of caution"

• Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast