Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PayPal only for Aus ebay buyers!

Thanks

Default PayPal only for Aus ebay buyers!

How much i hate paypal, and now this crap!

I'm sure thousands will stop using ebay because of this....

EBAY Australia users will be forced to use the company's online commerce website PayPal under new security measures prohibiting direct deposit and money orders as payment methods.
    From June, all items on eBay Australia will have to be paid for online using a PayPal account or a Visa or Mastercard transaction through PayPal. Buyers will still be able to pay for an item with cash if they are picking it up in person.
    PayPal, which is owned by eBay, charges a fee of between 1.1 and 2.4 per cent per credit card payment, which will be collected on top of existing charges to list and sell items through the auction website.
    eBay trust and safety director Alastair MacGibbon said forcing PayPal to "stand in between buyers and sellers" would reduce the likelihood of conflict and increase consumer confidence.

"eBay is no longer willing to stand aside and allow payment methods on the site that are proven to be less safe for consumers," he said.
    "You're four times less likely to have a problem on eBay if you pay with PayPal than, say, if you used internet banking."
    Mr MacGibbon said he expected a "small but vocal minority" of users to oppose the changes, which will force all eBay Australia sellers to use a PayPal account.
    "There are always some people who take a while to accept change," he said.
    "Most sellers already have a PayPal account. If you've been a new seller for the last year and a half you've had to be offering PayPal anyway in your listings."
    But boosting buyer confidence would stimulate activity and ultimately benefit sellers, and eBay, Mr MacGibbon said.
    "By reducing the likelihood of things going wrong and by increasing buyer confidence there will be a stimulus to the five or so million eBay users in Australia," he said.
    "If it's good for buyers, it's good for sellers and therefore good for eBay."
    The changes also include an increase to the PayPal Buyer Protection scheme claim limit for Australian users, from $3000 to $20,000.
    Mr MacGibbon said figures for how many people had accessed the protection fund in Australia were not available.
    "Clearly it's discretionary... (but) you don't have a buyer protection program in place that you don't intend to pay out," he said.
    International eBay sites would monitor the changes made in Australia and decide whether to follow suit, Mr MacGibbon said.
    All items listed on eBay Australia must offer PayPal as a payment method by May 21, while payment methods such as direct deposit and money orders will be banned from June 17.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

You got in first Toor, so I nuked my thread.....

Will be interesting to see how many people leave ebay now.....I mainly purchase from ebay and already have a Paypal account, but I wont be selling there anymore.

Thanks

It's going to be another one of there biggest mistakes.. the same they did last year with the store fee's and upset thousands of ebay store sellers...

paypal fees suck, and paypal is targeted by dishonest buyers to rip sellers off.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts

Not a big user of Flea Bay but this is enough to make sure I won't bother anymore

Thanks

I am banned from paypal.

I did too many transactions in my first three months so they stopped everything at an automated transaction level.

Nowhere does it say that you have to scan your drivers licence, front and back of a credit card and upload to them.

That is completely unacceptable to me.

So I left a huge mess behind for them to clean up with transactions part paid etc etc etc.

I just walked away because they thought they were GOD.

Thanks

I have known many highly reputable businesses who have lost their business because of PayPal ...

... Please beware ... this company tries to operate within their own set of rules ... disregarding government guidelines and regulations ...

... having been in the UK for a while ... when PayPal stated trading in Europe ... they were 'forced' to comply with UK / EU guidelines ... where customers had certain rights ...

... this apparently was something which PayPal was concerned about ... not being able to impose their OWN set or rules ...

... their solution was to forcibly change their contracts with existing merchants ... and more importantly move their company registration and operations to Luxemburg ... which falls outside UK / EU that would have some protection for merchants and customers alike ...

... a dodgy company ... just do a Google on class actions against PayPal ... lots of good reading ...

... If you have a choice stay away from them !!!!!

... in fact ... irrespective ... just stay away from them

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Just let me guess,does PayPal own eBay
    or eBay own PayPal
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

Weren't they going to do this once before. Maybe it was ebay US that was thinking about doing it. I thought when they first brought PayPal they would eventually force people to use it from now on.

I'm guessing if there are enough protests then maybe they would allow bank transfers but it would mean that all complaints are null and void. Ebay is trying to reduce the amount of complaints (see the policy on Seller's bad feedback) and make their life eaiser rather than give a better service.
    Coding in C is like sending a 3 year old to do groceries. You gotta tell them exactly what you want or you'll end up with a cupboard full of pop tarts and pancake mix.

Thanks

PayPal, which is owned by eBay ??

Tagg

Thanks

<-- there the fix !
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

More about it

When will this occur?
    Changes will be introduced in two stages:

1. All items listed for sale on eBay.com.au on or after 21 May 2008 must offer PayPal as one of the payment methods.

2. All items appearing on eBay.com.au as of 17 June 2008 must be paid for using one of the following:

1. PayPal
    2. Pay on pick up (i.e. paid for when picking up the item)
    3. Visa/MasterCard (with transactions processed by PayPal).

No other payment methods will be permitted.

Thanks

Yes paypal is owned by ebay.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,132 Posts

Bugger them it cost a fortune to use paypal and then you add the eBay fee's
    Might as well buy else where
    When you do things right, people won't be sure that you have done anything at all

Thanks

... the irony is that eBay is a public company ... responsible to shareholders ... who probably are users of eBay / PayPal (who they acquired a long time ago because it was a successful company providing settlements for eBay transactions)

... unfortunately the management at eBay has never been good ... they have been reputed for bad investments with all of the $$ they have 'ripped off' (sorry ... my personal take on this) and then wasted on companies such as Skype for which they overpaid several billion (yes billion) US$ ...

... some of the old guard was ousted from eBay ... but they still operate with the same mentality ... making huge profits at the expense of merchants and customers ... (which is good if you are a shareholder) and then blowing it all on a bad investment that until now was easy to 'pawn off' to the board of eBay because of their poor business sense when operating outside their bread & butter ( eBay / PayPal) business ...

... unfortunately even if ALL the traders in 'OZ got together and boycotted ebay / PayPal ... little change would occur ... much bigger class actions were ignored and are still unsettled - even after awards AGAINST eBay / PayPal ...

... so when there is big money involved the lawyers make sure they get their $$ for every conceivable tactic not to pay the plaintiffs

... the $$ value of the 'OZ business will not change their policy

... shareholder action will ... however you need to be a BIG stakeholder to carry any weight with them ... err ... total combines voting shares of over US$ billion will make them listen ...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstock View Post
    <-- there the fix !

they want 3.9% that is too much.

Thanks

I think there will some fair trading issues with this E-bay cr*p.
    And they will have to back step .

Forcing people to use their financial arm would be illegal I would say for starters.

Thanks

... OK ... who wants to start an auction site?

... a bit of a cheeky question ... ... but there is some seriousness in this ...

... don't worry about the technology ... that's the easy bit ...

the real problem is having the staff and resource to manage customers and provide an excellent service ... this is a full time job for at least 5-10 people in the beginning (when small number of auctions) but can grow to 30+ with large operations ...

... unfortunately the auction can be automated ... but seeing what is being auctioned and ensuring that all is working (nobody trying to deliberately 'break' things) is the most difficult thing ...

... if someone is willing to 'really commit' to such a venture and understand what's involved ... then PM for further discussion ...

... I happen to have some experience with this as we have back in 1998 successfully set-up a commercial auction site for a private customer in the UK ... that was the easy bit ... they ran the site with great success for 6 months ...

... then it went offline ... because they had cut staff levels to 2 people ...

... you soon realize it’s not the ‘site’ but it’s the system (people) behind it that counts ...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,731 Times in 5,823 Posts

It will probably piss some people off , but suits me fine. I prefer to use Paypal over Direct Deposit , better protection for me as a buyer. I have only ever sold something 2-3 times.

I reckon Austech's Buy Sell and Trade forum might get a few more ads out of it though. It costs you nothing and you can pay with whatever method you agree on.

This decision is of course just a money making scheme by Ebay/Paypal , quite a ballsy one really when you consider the backlash they will get out of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z80 View Post
    they want 3.9% that is too much.
    well lets look at fees by auction sites :

Oztion fees:
    Up to $100.00 3.9% of sale price (minimum 25c)
    $100.01 - $500.00 $3.90 + 3% of sale price over $100.00
    $500.01 - $1000.00 $15.90 + 2.5% of sale price over $500.00
    Over $1000.00 $28.40 + 1.5% of sale price over $1000.00 (maximum $99)

Ebay fees:
    AU$0.01 - AU$75.00
    5.25% of the closing price

AU$75.01 - AU$1,000.00
    5.25% of the initial AU$75.00 plus 2.75% of the remaining closing price (AU$75.01 to AU$1,000.00)

Over AU$1,000.01
    5.25% of the initial AU$75.00 plus 2.75%of the initial (AU$75.01 to AU$1,000.00) plus 1.50%of the remaining closing price (AU$1,000.01 - closing)

and your saying oztion is too much compared to Ebay ?

plus ya can list goods - only pay fees for listing if item sells ..where ebay charges everytime whether it sells or not ..

Oztion allows all payments not just Paypal option and cash pickup
    Trust thyself only, and another shall not betray thee.

http://s18.postimage.org/h9xu3rrhx/fb_sevapers.jpg

Thanks

ive been using paypal all the time on ebay, never had an issue

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast