Thread: USB not working

Thanks

Default USB not working

I have just out a computer together everything works fine except for the usb ports. Everytime i try to plug something in there there keyboard mouse etc... Its sas the device is not recognised
    Im not to sure what the problem is and i have never come across this on a new comp i have built but the pc does have 4 gig memory 2X 2 gig could that have any effet on the usb ports? Do i need to configure anything,,
    In the pc system menu it only shows the pc with 3 gig memory, is there a setting i need to change? Ive never installed 4 gig before...

Thanks.

Look Here ->
    Thanks

hey champ

if your running windows xp 32 bit it only reads up to 3.25gb of ram, i have 4gb installed but it only detects 3.25gb of ram

the ram should have no affect on the usb ports

also have a look in device manager to see that everythings detected

Thanks

what mobo/specs is your computer mate?
    congrats on the build

try the usb ports on the back panel of te motherboard, not the ones that come off the headers. Then try the ones that come off the mobo headers and see if either work.

Thanks

Thanks guys,

Yer ill try the front ones on the tower see if they work, but could it be a possible faulty motherboard? Ive never had this problem before with any pc ive put together and this happened right from the word go. Tried installing xo and vista both o/s wont work.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by |Rocka Fella| View Post
    Thanks guys,

Yer ill try the front ones on the tower see if they work, but could it be a possible faulty motherboard? Ive never had this problem before with any pc ive put together and this happened right from the word go. Tried installing xo and vista both o/s wont work.

RAM shouldn't affect USB, sounds like it might be the USB controller or chip on the mboard. What is your cpu usage after booting (is it 100% ?) How old is the board as it may still be replaceable as faulty.

Try running a linux boot CD such as Ubuntu etc from the CD and see if USB works with that.

I had USB stuff up on laptop after warranty when trying to connect external usb hard drive - which meant 3 laptop usb ports were stuffed. Work around was to use USB pcmcia card although I had to run sysinternals program after booting to kill the USB process as laptop was using 100% CPU usage which made laptop real sloooowww.

Let us know how you go, I would be trying the Ubuntu option first, then maybe sysinternals process explorer (search google) after

In the back of a 50 kW AM broadcast transmitter
    Thanks

Where does it say the device is not recognised? Is this a pop-up down on the system tray?
    If that is the case, then at least the USB port is 'working' - only Windows is not identifying the hardware.
    Have you installed the system drivers for the motherboard?

Thanks

Had that problem with a Sonata case. Any newish USB devices were not recognised. The manufacturers supplied new front USB ports and cable, and all was well. It was the design of the ports. The ports on the motherboard itself gave no problems at any stage, so check if it's all the ports which don't work or just the front ones.