Thread: Chinese generic GPS WinCE 5 and Igo8

Thanks

Default Chinese generic GPS WinCE 5 and Igo8

I recently got a GPS, one of those Chinese units with Windows CE 5.0 and iGO 8 that plays music, vids, flash and stuff... has 2G internal mem and takes up to a 16G micro SD card
    It has all the Australian maps on it so I am happy with it

What Id really like to learn is more about Win CE and how to use the unit for more than just GPS.

I plan on going to Japan next year and I would love to have Japan maps (in English, Romanji and Kanji if possible) as well as an English-Japanese dictionary on it as well...
    I cant find any NavnGo maps for Japan, even on the NavnGo website - any ideas?

I cant find any but Garmin Japan maps

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default GPS maps in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Tengu View Post
    I plan on going to Japan next year and I would love to have Japan maps (in English, Romanji and Kanji if possible) as well as an English-Japanese dictionary on it as well...
    I cant find any NavnGo maps for Japan, even on the NavnGo website - any ideas?

I cant find any but Garmin Japan maps
    Tengu
    The first thing you should know about street names in Japan is there aren't any! Incomprehensible as that might sound, apart from a very few main roads, the great majority of roads/streets/avenues/lanes etc are nameless.
    They work on a system of Chomes, like a block number, and once you have narrowed your destination to the block, the houses are numbered IN THE ORDER THEY WERE BUILT!!!
    Even the Japanese have problems getting around, and it is normal for directions to be given, following local landmarks like the house with the red roof, McDonalds etc.
    So what do they do? You can put in the phone number of the destination, as it seems that they have geo-referenced all the phone locations, and that phone number will get you to where you want to go.
    There are a number of Japanese GPS maps, such as UUD, which I have known people to download and use, but most are all Japanese language.

I used one of these in Japan, and really only used the zoom out function to try and get a 'big picture' view of where I was, and cross referenced it with an english paper map.
    Japan is a blast, and check out the Toyoko Inn hotel chain for top class cheap accomodation; they are everywhere.
    John

Thanks

Thanks John

I do understand how crazy Japan can be

I am going to Tokyo mostly to train and for my time off I have done some research and know where I want to visit.

I would just like to be able to tell if I am in the vicinity of those places I want to be at!
    The paper map is great at telling me where everything else is, but not where I am!