Thread: Solar systems and 3 phase??

Thanks

Default Solar systems and 3 phase??

Just had a rep out this morning discussing a solar system for the house.
    He sugested tarrif 33 for the pool, knew about this but as were on gas hot water I don't have a meter installed for that.(will call energex to get cost)
    My main concern is running our 3 phase reverse cycle air con.
    I can't see how it would be able to run of a solar system, with a single inverter.
    Just trying to work out the viability and return to pay for the system.
    Had to laugh when he suggested adding the cost into the home loan.
    Obviously solar will have benifits but how long will it take to pay for itself??
    Looking at a 3.5 kw system $27,300.
    Quartely bill is around $700.
    Would we be better of just hooking up on the lower tarriff for the pool and waiting to see the difference??
    To be hoest I haven't realy done much homework on the whole solar power subject.
    Basically we don't want to be having to cover a huge short fall between savings and loan payments.
    Advice appreciated.

Look Here ->
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 1,066 Posts

Wink 3 Phase Inverter.

Quote Originally Posted by sublib25 View Post
    Just had a rep out this morning discussing a solar system for the house.
    He sugested tarrif 33 for the pool, knew about this but as were on gas hot water I don't have a meter installed for that.(will call energex to get cost)
    I can't see how it would be able to run of a solar system, with a single inverter.
    Just trying to work out the viability and return to pay for the system.
    Had to laugh when he suggested adding the cost into the home loan.
    Obviously solar will have benifits but how long will it take to pay for itself??
    Looking at a 3.5 kw system $27,300.
    Quartely bill is around $700.
    Would we be better of just hooking up on the lower tarriff for the pool and waiting to see the difference??
    To be hoest I haven't realy done much homework on the whole solar power subject.
    Basically we don't want to be having to cover a huge short fall between savings and loan payments.
    Advice appreciated.
    G'Day Cobber,
    Plenty of these advertised on line. Not cheap as I remember.

Kindest Regards, " The Druid ".

Thanks

the feed in tariff will be greater than the power used
    so just feed in on the highest used phase
    what state are you in

Thanks

Were in QLD.

Thanks

Thanks

Advice appreciated.
    The inverter doesn't have to run your air con , it will simply support one phase and export the excess back to the grid.
    If you are somehow thinking a 3 phase solar inverter will run your air con if the power fails it wont do that either , when the power fails all grid connected systems shut down.
    With a 3.5 kw System assuming all your panels are facing North and unshaded will produce 14kwh per day averaged over a year.
    A small 2 phase air con will draw around 4kwh , meaning i will consume everything your solar can make every 3 1/2 hours.

Thanks

I didn't think that the system would run the aircond.I didn't realise the solar system would aslo be down if the grid is.
    When the rep stated basically that we could eliminate the electricity bill all together it made me real sceptical.The more questions I asked he shut down and said he didn't know or wasn't aware so he would call a sparky.
    I just can't see how you can save if your still on the grid.
    From what I read they fit a new 3 phase meter that combines usage as a single phase consumption reading.The system will hook into only one phase
    and return to grid any unused power.
    The other concern I have is the panels combined way around 380kg,Is it engineeringly sound to add that much weight to a roof just designed to hold colourbond sheets??

I had a look at the future wave, seems pretty pricy at $1300 Plus you can't run creapy crawly as the punp is running slower.The same solar mob bought up their low geared pump but can't backwash or use a cleaner as the pressure is low.I believe these are more suited to the comercial market where full circulation is needed 24hrs a day.

Thanks

I didn't think that the system would run the aircond.I didn't realise the solar system would aslo be down if the grid is.
    When the rep stated basically that we could eliminate the electricity bill all together it made me real sceptical.The more questions I asked he shut down and said he didn't know or wasn't aware so he would call a sparky.
    I just can't see how you can save if your still on the grid.
    From what I read they fit a new 3 phase meter that combines usage as a single phase consumption reading.The system will hook into only one phase
    and return to grid any unused power.
    The other concern I have is the panels combined way around 380kg,Is it engineeringly sound to add that much weight to a roof just designed to hold colourbond sheets??
    Solar power not working during a blackout or any grid failure is one of the first things they should make people aware of , but they never do , they would prefer you to think you have a backup system in such situations.
    Grid connected inverters need the grid to operate so will even shut down during power surges etc.

I wouldn't be concerned about the extra weight because it is transferred over a large area and secured to the rafters which are designed to carry a lot more than color bond sheets.

A lot of people are making money not just saving by having grid connected Solar systems , but you first need to look at your usage and see how much it can be reduced before you even think about solar., most people waste more power than solar can produce.