Thread: Modifying your DM500 - some useful information

Thanks

Default Modifying your DM500 - some useful information

I have been having problems in getting a pixilation free recording from my DM500s to a NAS with PLi (release 1.0.9, 30.12.2007) image.

The NAS is mounded as CIFS and seems to connect OK ...

Recordings are 'slow' to start (possible buffering in action) ...

But bottom line is that they are always pixilated

I have been asking my friend (Google) lots of questions ... and came across some (not directly related) information which is useful to know for DM500s owners ...

Here is a link ... and credit goes to original author and his references ...

.. the item most relevant to recording pixilation problems is discussed in SECTION 3 ...

3- The Slow Network Issue

... has anybody come across the above network issues and have a successful 'fix' ?

... OR is the recording pixilation problem not a H/W issue at all ... just config or driver / image related?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

so many things come into it

A: type of router
    B: is the hdd on a computer as master or slave
    c: is the drive a NAS unit
    d: if on computer what else does that machine do
    e: it could be faulty router
    f: faulty cables
    g: pc is working its nuts of doing other stuff

i have loaded

gemini / pli / neutrino and others and have no issues what so ever

I have done this with a NAS unit and a usb2 hdd connected to a laptop ( 1ghz 256 ram ) which only runs my CS and nothing else what so ever.

But i test all my cables before i use them - i dont use a router i use a switch and does not get all that bottle neck of a router

and as far as i am concerned neutrino is by far the best where recording is concerned and considering i don't give 2 toss's how many new emu's and images come out i have one that does exactly what i want it to do so i don't go re-flashing just for the sake of it.

so my suggestion

test cables -test router-if the hdd is on a comp then get a usb case and use that instead if not don't use the computer for anything else.

i have done a couple tutorials on my setup with neutrino and gemini and even created a working image and distructions.

Incase some do not realise how a switch works

i have a 24 port gigabit

port one is the port the modem/router is plugged into and registers the networks address

then i plug all the other connection into the switch .Now if i could disconnect the modem/router and everything on the internal lan can all still talk to each other with out the modem router and this is where the bottleneck of the modem/router is removed for internal setups

Thanks

A: type of router
    WRT54G running DD-WRT V23 SP2
    B: is the hdd on a computer as master or slave
    HDD is in NAS
    c: is the drive a NAS unit
    Ritmo CE3590
    NAS device - tested independently can sustain 2.5MBytes /sec connected to PC and streaming to VLC

d: if on computer what else does that machine do
    No - no computer
    e: it could be faulty router
    Router has been running gigs without a blink
    f: faulty cables
    New CAT6 cable
    g: pc is working its nuts of doing other stuff
    No

My current setup is very simple ... and you points above are spot on ...

.. this is why I simply connected the DM Ethernet to 100M switch and NAS to switch - both using 3m cables - so nothing else in system loop which could cause problem ...

The NAS unit is mounted with following setup ...

... the NAS mounts OK ...

I then simply select channel to record - usually what is on screen at the time ... and then press 'help' button on the silver (small) remote twice ...

... I get (a few seconds later) screen with status and red recording OSD ..which then disappears ...

.. after a few minutes I press 'help' once again ... I then get a pop-up asking me if I want to stop recording ... I select yes ... after 3-5 seconds ... I get another pop-up asking if I want to play recording ... I select yes ... 3-5 seconds later recording is displayed (plays) ... however there is lots of pixilation at start and then bits every 5 to 10 seconds ...

The image I am using for this is one of the modified PLi's (I think originally build by z) ...

I am pretty sure that the network is running fine ... but not sure if the DM has any network issues as I have not streamed any data from it on its own as yet ...

Hope the above does give you enough clues for possible areas of attack by me on trying to debug the problem ...

Thanks

in options i have RW (read write )

it may just be the NAS unit itself i personally use a d-link nas-300 which is constantly busy with the collection of video apart from being the share for 4 dreams

Thanks

... yes the 'rw' is also enabled ... on the DM mount popup its definitely set - but on the WEB interface when set it never persists ??

..hmmm ... here might be a problem with the NAS driver when talking to the DM??

... strange because it works well with a windows PC

... I guess my next step is to check with a DM to PC mount and see if DM has enough grunt to record without pixilation ...

... an tips for setting up a windows 'share' to DM ?

Thanks

you have to create a folder in the root of the drive called movies then another inside that called movies then make sure you are logged in as admin for it to work

c:/movies/movies

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fandtm666 View Post
    you have to create a folder in the root of the drive called movies then another inside that called movies then make sure you are logged in as admin for it to work

c:/movies/movies
    ... will have a go as soon as I can ...

Will post results here ...

... does you recording set-up have instant response - or is there a significant lag in starting or playing back? ... just curious ... as this is a clue to me in the NAS and instigating file 'transfers' long lag means problem

Thanks

virtually instant

Thanks

It may be "movie" not "movies" from memory?.