Thread: Smart meter scam ?

Banned
    Thanks

Cool Smart meter scam ?

Got sick of the missus whinging about the power bill so decided to dedicate some time looking into it. The billing process to start with , the consumption will come later.
    We have two meters , one for O/P hot water & one that registers consumption for everything else at O/P , Shoulder & Peak rates. It would seem that the consumer is only given access to the total consumption at the meter. ie by scrolling through the readings I can access Date , Time & total consumption. Now the interesting bit is that the individual readings ( O/P , Shoulder & Peak) reset at the end of each billing period. This would seem to remove the evidence if you had any type of billing dispute. Sure you still have a total consumption reading but no way of reconciling it to the 3 different billing rates.
    Now obviously there is no technical reason that all metering could not be available to the consumer so is this a bit of a " cover my arse" type scam ?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to watchdog For This Useful Post:

bodgie (08-10-10)

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Im not too sure how they are set up. Water meters on the other hand can clear the totals, however most have an internal logger that has historical data stored.

Again im not sure of the standards here, with water there is a standard for each state, and those standards provide tech info, so I guess there is one for power. Eg in water it might state that non vol memory = x, the meter to be mounted at x height, must be validated etc etc etc

Mind you, even with these in place, doesnt mean that whats showing is correct...id hate to know how many out there are reading high / low

Thanks

here in wa we use the em 1000 meter and the totals remain unchanged after 2 readings,

Interval data recording
    The EM1000 stores 282 days of 30 minute interval data in load profile to measure residential energy consumption.
    what happens then i dont know, i take a noon reading of the meter to keep an eye on totals