Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: V8 Supercars not in HD ?

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cpandilo View Post
    It's an annual quota that the networks have to meet.
    They are broadcasting in HD but I bet the rquirement doesnt say the CONTENT broadcast has to be in HD !!!

Also I wouldnt mine betting a lot of those shows on HD were never made in Stereo and certainly NOT in Surround Sound...........
    Its blatently obvious that Digital TV is DEAD and they are concentrating on 3D untill something else distracts their attenion
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 10-10-10 at 09:43 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Windy View Post
    I believe it was more entertaining to watch the old continuous WIN & TEN demo loops of Stream Trains, Nature Scenery and other HiDef Fillers than the crap that has been dished up lately.

The old 60's/70's/80's/90's programing have their place and it's not FTA HD! That's why we have PAY-TV, DVDs and downloads!!
    Arhh yes..... those were the days.

I remember way back then when HD was just starting up, walking into Harveys and seeing those continuous demo loops, displaying awesome HD picture quality.

If only we knew back then it was all hogwash and short lived.

Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

I prefered those VHS/Super VHS loops one store ran using a 'split' screen to show how magicaly different one was against the other.
    Mind you it was on a CRT TV.
    Like Monster cable, OF cable, Gold Plating connections and one was a green Texta pen sold to stop the Red Laser escaping from the edges of a CD and being reflecting back and causing errors.
    As Phineaus Barnham correctly said, There's a mug born every minute ready to waste their cash on the latest flashy trash if the Hype is good enough.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Thanks

Time to join the outrage over on the V8 forums ... and get the V8s moved back to Ten/ONE ...

Seven has no credibility after this latest effort and should be stripped of any involvement with motor-racing.

Thanks

Default V8 Super Cars why in SD

Does not matter at this stage what channel that televise the race. It will be Standard Def, the company that is contracted to do the coverage only has SD equipment. This will continue while the contract is current.
    Nearly all outside broadcast events are now covered by companies that are contracted by the networks. A lot of sports are even produced under contract. The networks just transmit and insert commercials.
    The reason why networks have moved their new channels to HD is a bandwidth problem. There is only enough space for one HD and two SD channels. You have to remember for last 10 years the public have been purchasing TV and STB that only receive SD programmes. This forces the public to update their equipment to HD if they what to receive the extra channels.
    I would think that at later date that network will only transmit their prime channel on HD when they are convinced that the public is saturated with HD reception equipment.

Thanks

Some of the betting agencies actually suspended live betting at around 3pm when they noticed what was being fed on Channel 7 wasn't matching up with their live track data. Must of cost them a bit of cash in lost trade, wonder if any legal action will take place. Think they were interviewing one of the agencies on 2SM 1269 in the sports program on Monday afternoon. Opens up a whole new can of worms though.

"That meant time-shifting that usually can be recovered under safety cars. It was a great event and a superb broadcast. We scheduled commercial breaks sympathetically and time-shifted so viewers wouldn't miss a thing. It's not about `shoving in more ads and promos'."

LOL, i think the most talked about issue on Sunday on Facebook, Twitter, Comments to the editor on News Media sites was the amount of ads being shown in short timespans during the race. I think in the end they just got caught out by the lack of safety car periods and were forced to advertise during main course of the race. Maybe they have to re-think the advertising stragegy like on-screen during race or dump a shitload of kangaroos up on the mountain before the race so theres more crashes. Thats my conclusion anyway.
    Last edited by iTockz; 13-10-10 at 09:19 PM.

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iTockz View Post
    Some of the betting agencies actually suspended live betting at around 3pm when they noticed what was being fed on Channel 7 wasn't matching up with their live track data. Must of cost them a bit of cash in lost trade, wonder if any legal action will take place. Think they were interviewing one of the agencies on 2SM 1269 in the sports program on Monday afternoon. Opens up a whole new can of worms though.

"That meant time-shifting that usually can be recovered under safety cars. It was a great event and a superb broadcast. We scheduled commercial breaks sympathetically and time-shifted so viewers wouldn't miss a thing. It's not about `shoving in more ads and promos'."

LOL, i think the most talked about issue on Sunday on Facebook, Twitter, Comments to the editor on News Media sites was the amount of ads being shown in short timespans during the race. I think in the end they just got caught out by the lack of safety car periods and were forced to advertise during main course of the race. Maybe they have to re-think the advertising stragegy like on-screen during race or dump a shitload of kangaroos up on the mountain before the race so theres more crashes. Thats my conclusion anyway.

Wow, never even thought of the delay affecting the TAB too. Wonder if anything will come of it, now that the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing are making enquiries.

Fellow V8 rev hads... We have the Gold Coast in a weeks time, then another 3 more races after that before xmas. We can only hope that channel 7 have got the hint, that sports fans want a REAL LIVE broadcast, and the TAB too.

Time will tell. Go Holden.

Thanks

Explanation from 7 was they lent all 10 of their HD cameras to 10 for commonwealth games. (How nice of them!)
    Sounds like bullshit to me. Maybe they only have 10 3D cameras but with 160 cameras around the track they would fall a bit short. What did they use last year? I wander if they would loan me one of their cameras let alone their competitors.
    Haven’t heard back from V8 Supercars but the more that complain the better, these people need to be told.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pid00 View Post
    It will be Standard Def, the company that is contracted to do the coverage only has SD equipment.
    Not true ... the V8SC do their own production and has used HD in previous races - so it has the technology - and if the cameras were in India that further adds salt to the rev heads woundsl!

If their chief, Tony Cockroach has half a brain he'd sell it back to Ten/ONE as quickly as he could, so the brand isn't further damaged by a network who simply isn't interested in motorsport.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pid00 View Post
    Does not matter at this stage what channel that televise the race. It will be Standard Def, the company that is contracted to do the coverage only has SD equipment. This will continue while the contract is current.
    Nearly all outside broadcast events are now covered by companies that are contracted by the networks. A lot of sports are even produced under contract. The networks just transmit and insert commercials.
    The reason why networks have moved their new channels to HD is a bandwidth problem. There is only enough space for one HD and two SD channels. You have to remember for last 10 years the public have been purchasing TV and STB that only receive SD programmes. This forces the public to update their equipment to HD if they what to receive the extra channels.
    I would think that at later date that network will only transmit their prime channel on HD when they are convinced that the public is saturated with HD reception equipment.
    Not sure there is even enough bandwidth for one HD and two SD when there's still analogue round the place. Here in Cairns, the WIN hd (GEM) service has hit the wall following the introduction of the additional SD channel. Understand that GEM doesn't have much HD content but the Today show (which is simulcast on GEM) is usually a good guide and its lacking in res. Am also concerned that when the 10 network introduce their new SD service in January 2011, One HD will loose its quality as well.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Just because I know everyone is interested I'm looking at the pids for the Seven network just to see why we have sh*t quality for the V8's.

Seven 4.5 - 4.9 Mbps
    Seven 2 4.2 - 4.6 Mbps
    Seven Mate 10.05 - 10.3 Mbps

Basically the lower the Mbps the poorer the quality picture.

How about the networks drop the overall quality of the HD service no-one wants because of the programming and gives some more Mbps to the other channels to improve quality.

But Knight Rider and the A-Team look so much better in HD............Not

Mickstv
    Last edited by mickstv; 24-10-10 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,710 Times in 2,797 Posts

how much bandwidth does an SD channel require? Maybe high 4's is it. Also the camera's at the track would be a contributing factor.
    I'm watching the feed on Asiasat 5 and the picture isn't all that great so I reckon the telecast has a lot to do with it.

Leroy
    XCRUISER HDSR600HD twin sat and terrestrial receiver $OOS *
    XCRUISER HDSR385 Avant - sold out$OOS UltraPlus DVB-T and DVB-S2 tuners $49 Remotes $OOS

Thanks
    Thanked 2,404 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LeroyPatrol View Post
    how much bandwidth does an SD channel require? Maybe high 4's is it. Also the camera's at the track would be a contributing factor.
    I'm watching the feed on Asiasat 5 and the picture isn't all that great so I reckon the telecast has a lot to do with it.

Leroy

I did read somewhere ages ago that it was somewhere between 4-6 Mbps. But your right the source feed could be a problem as well poor quality hardware and fast moving objects don't help. But even so If they increased the SD channels upto 6Mbps It's got to help maybe not for V8's but it I would hope it would help with the general blocking of the picture.

Mickstv

Thanks

is it just me, or is the broadcast of the v8's today(sunday) pretty poor on channel7, finding it very pixelated, then when the ad's come on its ok. its already been said on facebook as well that this is a delayed telecast as well, so many this is a shitty delayed recording.

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12