Thread: Humax F1-4000T Digital STB Problem

Premium Member
    Thanks

Default Humax F1-4000T Digital STB Problem

My uncle has given me a Humax F1-4000T Digital STB that appears to be faulty to have a play with.

I say "appears faulty" as I am suspicious that a setting in the install menu may be the problem.

What I am finding is that everything comes on normally, menu etc works however when you go to select a channel the channel does not decode. It is like as if the RF in signal is not strong enough (but I know that the RF in signal is OK) and the picture is pixelated with lots of squares and broken up squeaks of sound is all you get.

I have tried rescanning both against PAL B and PAL G deleting previously found channels so that a "fresh" find is done in each case.

Does anyone know of some sneaky setting one needs to do on these or is the output stage after the tuner on this box gone to heaven?

Look Here ->
    Premium Member

Thanks
    Thanked 3,806 Times in 2,525 Posts

Humax had a bad reputation (5400Z) some time back with a power supply board problem so I wonder if this could be some of your problems?
    If you wanted to check, if they still use the same configuration check the tops of the large caps and the sides.
    The top used to buldge quite noticebly but if that is the problem and not corrected it can take out not only the caps but a Zener and resisters from memory.
    The Power board was a stand alone one and easy to see BUT dont touch ANYTHING when its turned on as it can bite and some of them heatsinks really are HOT !!
    Last edited by gordon_s1942; 04-12-10 at 10:26 PM.
    I stand unequivicably behind everything I say , I just dont ever remember saying it !!

Premium Member
    Thanks

Thanks - I have already opened up the box to look at anything obvious like bulging caps or burnt components etc .... I could not find anything

I was thinking of reading some voltages but I do not think anything is marked on the PCBs.

It is really strange as when you are accessing the menu it is all good it is just when the STB has to do the digital decoding of the RF it is like the stb is not getting a strong enough input signal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by checkitout View Post
    ... it is like the stb is not getting a strong enough input signal
    Do you have another stb to connect to the same antenna to compare?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Guiseppe View Post
    Do you have another stb to connect to the same antenna to compare?
    Yes I have done this.

I am not stressed about it ... these are cheap items anyway. I have been more concerned if it is a setting issue - which I do not think it is.

If I work out how to reflash a Humax that also might be an idea (or training exercise)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,066 Times in 6,761 Posts

I have tried rescanning both against PAL B and PAL G deleting previously found channels so that a "fresh" find is done in each case.
    This part is confusing, as PAL is an analogue signal, so I don't understand how you are scanning digital channels in PAL?

Premium Member
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mtv View Post
    This part is confusing, as PAL is an analogue signal, so I don't understand how you are scanning digital channels in PAL?
    Good Point. Digital TV in Australia uses the DVB-T standard.

There is an install menu where you select a coding PAL B or PAL G (plus others like K and I) .....I think I will need to pull the STB out again and have another play with it...

Thanks

Good Point. Digital TV in Australia uses the DVB-T standard.

There is an install menu where you select a coding PAL B or PAL G (plus others like K and I) .....I think I will need to pull the STB out again and have another play with it...
    Thats for its RF out. Something you don't find on new boxes.
    For the original problem The humax's tuner needs to be checked out.