Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rx-7 Dyno Tune Part 2

Thanks

The Ski boat got me a little moist Arbiter...Nice!

Yes, Godzilla you are right, I used to go to Calder Street years ago..and I've seen plenty of Rotaries expire.....Lots of backyard guys in those days...and the old school "Geelong Style" draw through sidedraft Weber Turbo setup was very popular....so were 3rd gear lean outs at half track! doh!

These days with EFI and blow through systems and people understanding tuning for a Rotary better I'm hoping they are more reliable..8-)

There was a stage 10 years ago when the Rotary was the compact performance powerplant to have and were cleaning up in the 'Import' drag race classes. But now 4 cylinder technology is amazing and (most unfortunately) the mighty 2JZ is just destroying everything else in the Import drag scene with massive HP and reliability. Plenty of people with awesome RB engines still though! ;-)

Thanks

Brought back a few memories for me too - facing backwards at 100MPH with your legs wrapped around a BB LS7 Chev running Avgas, desperately trying to scream it's 12.5:1 forged slugs out at 6500 RPM for 40 minutes.
    Such is the life of a ski race Observer.

Thanks

Sound like you have brass nuts Mate...

Thanks
    Thanked 7,203 Times in 3,649 Posts

Yeah i had to have a dig at the buzz boxes but i have a great respect for them, i built a ground up paddock bomb RX2 coupe into quite a street car many years ago for my brother.

Calder was the place to see them drop their guts off the line back in the 80's but as you said things have changed and the engines are better at staying together now.

Amazing what such a small tiny engine is capable of.

Thanks

Some of the times Rotaries are making now, also just as street cars. I have always been a big rotary fan. I own 2 myself also, one thing about them they get associated to hoons. I live in Wollongong and everytime there were alot of them about the cops would come and have a field day, I'm talking back 10-15 or more years ago. Now alot of them have gone into hiding, you see them on the odd occasion taking one of the beasts for a drive.

Thanks

Nice to find other Rotary fans on Austech. You are right in that types of cars get bad association because of the types of people who drive them (and how they drive them!)...and like you said, especially 10 years ago, Rotaries have a got a pretty bad name...

Mine is a more 'new school' Rotary and hopefully doesn't attract the attention from Police and other certain driver groups that an old school Rotary would.....But it's all about where and how you drive it..

Ausrotary are organising a big (Melb) cruise day......I can't help that think the day will be a massive Police magnet...there's always 1 guy who has to be the fasted, louded or drive the 'stupist'...8-)

They are going through Geelong so I might tag along in my daily driver to see a few nice cars.

Thanks

We don't really get that in eastern suburbs, well not from my experience! I used to go on those cruises, never had too much trouble, it's when the stupid clubs likes Eastside Cruizers organise a cruise with over 100 cars, then you have a bunch of Commowhore drivers doing (& I quote) "massive hectic skids" thats when you have problems.

I always associated rotary drivers with late 30 year olds re living youth with an RX3, then there's the other end of the scale like the Dyson boys, good blokes, but you have never met a bigger bunch of nerdy looking guys in your life! and look at what Wayne is achieving!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YnNqDQstyA"]Untubbed Record run[/ame]

Thanks

Yes, the Dyson guys were originally from Geelong....that Rx3 (808 actually) was one of the first very quick Rotary of the 80s....awesome car back then, and incredible now...!

Hehe...Late 30s..watch it Hillbilly....I'm only 36...hahaha. well picked though!

I actually owned my Rx3 Coupe for 14 years ..from 18 to 32, with 8 years as a daily driver...and now the FD Rx7 is in the garage...a more mature man's drive!

• Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12