Thread: Solution 6 Alarm problem

Thanks

Default Solution 6 Alarm problem

Hey everybody, i wonder if any of you could help me with a problem i have with a Solution 6 Alarm.

I moved into a property with this alarm system installed a few years ago. The only thing i was given was a code to arm and disarm it. This seemed to work fine. A friend of mine set if off while i was away and fluffed the code input and to turn it off he unplugged the mains power and also opened the back of the alarm box and disconnected the battery. I left it that way for years until a recent spate of burglaries in the area has prompted me to reconnect it. Alas it refuses to function correctly now.

I've had a good trawl around the net, downloaded a manual and i still cant get it to work properly- Anyway depending on wether the back panel to the alarm box is attached two different things happen when the mains power is connected back to the alarm. I presume this is because of the small tamper switch in the box that is pressed together when the back is on.

When the power supply is reconnected and the back of the Alarm box is not on the alarm goes off, number 6 of the red zone displays on the keypad is flashing. Inputting my code on the keypad and pressing Away will stop the alarm and stop the number 6 flashing, but all the red zones 1-8 stay illuminated. When i try to arm the system by inputting my code and then pressing Away the system makes a noise after about 30 seconds as though its armed, and then nothing. Opening doors or moving in front of the sensors will not set the alarm off.

When the power supply is connected and the panel is back on the alarm goes off, and number 6 of the zones is flashing. However inputting my code on the keypad does not turn the alarm off and i have to cut the power to stop it.

I've messed around for a fair while with this and i'm at a loss. If anybody has any suggestions or advice i'd appreciate it. Perhaps my code wont work because of incorrect tries previously and i need an installer code or something. Who knows.

Thanks in advance for any support, if i've not explained anything clearly i'd be glad to illuminate further.

Look Here ->
    Banned
    Thanks

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    but all the red zones 1-8 stay illuminated..
    Didn't you say it was a Solution 6

Thanks

First i would disconnect the siren/s at the panel, unscrew out1 and or n/o then connect the power.

Does the light flash on the detectors when you walk past them ?
    If not check the fuse on the panel as it sounds like the detectors are not powered due to all zones illuminated on the keypad, this would result in the zones bypassing when armed witch would account for the siren not sounding when armed.

Also check the battery as it maybe draining the charge voltage if it is faulty.
    Last edited by Keystone; 27-10-10 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys... sorry about the delay,i've been away.

It is indeed a Solution 6 Watchdog, i made a mistake when listing the zones as 1-8, there are only 1-6.

I've spent a fair bit of time on this today..

Thanks for the advice Keystone-

I have replaced the battery as it indeed was faulty.

The sensors do flash when detecting movement, so all good there.

The fuses appear to be fine also.

I tried disconnecting out1 and n/o...its stopped the sirens but this didn't have any effect on the alarm.

I'm still in the same situation. I can turn it off and set it to arm when the panel is off and the tamper switch disengaged, although it does not arm after the time expires... and it will still not respond to anything when the panel is on and the tamper switch connected.

Any ideas? I really do appreciate you taking the time.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

If it has been powered down for years then I would be defaulting & reprogramming. After a few years with no power you wouldn't know what crap has embedded in the memory.
    ps - you may find that you need to close the panel to get it to arm
    Last edited by watchdog; 10-11-10 at 04:49 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for that... any advice as to what i can do when you suggest ' defaulting & reprogramming ' ? My knowledge is pretty limited on this subject, is that a process i could do, or would i have to call in a professional. I can see on the board inside the panel there is a small button marked ' default '.

Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Thanks for that... any advice as to what i can do when you suggest ' defaulting & reprogramming ' ? My knowledge is pretty limited on this subject, is that a process i could do, or would i have to call in a professional. I can see on the board inside the panel there is a small button marked ' default '. Thanks.
    Hi Beadle,

Let me save you untold grief. If you have to ask, you are better off getting in someone to help you. Given its age, the system would almost certainly require a service anyway, as well as a new battery. However for the $1-200 this will likely cost, the service-call will probably exceed the value of your ancient alarm panel.

I would look at replacing it altogether with something from this decade. Most of the cost of installation is the wiring, which can be easily reused, as could the detectors if they are in good condition, so you could probably get away with a brand new system (and warranty) for not a whole lot more.