Thread: Suggestions on camera and/or Layout

Thanks

Arrow Suggestions on camera and/or Layout

I was hoping with the attach picture someone with some insight could give me a constructive conclusion on layout and camera types needed to possibly pick up some useful information from intruders and thieves on this property at night. I have a lore all in one system (l23wd) and would like to add some kind of ptz or other actual camera to this system.

Also depending on knowledge here...Maybe can I get a refer to somewhere I may get more help?

Look Here ->
    Thanks

Default link

update
    Last edited by Siphlus; 28-10-10 at 10:05 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

First & foremost get some lighting in there. Talk to Matt at Merit Lilin 96464878 They have a low cost range of PTZ cameras up to x20 zoom

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

What is the replacement value of all the items that can be nicked? No point installing a $50000 system if a cordless drill and work boots get knocked off once in a while.

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

watchdog (28-10-10)

Thanks

A 6" fence isn't much of an obstacle. 8" would be a minimum, including barb-tape etc. That is, 2400mm. I assume it's a chain-link fence? How far apart are the posts? What's the mesh size? That is, how easily can you slip a set of wire cutters into the little holes? I'm guessing it's a standard industrial fence, so probably not much you can do now. Does the fence have a top and bottom rail? If not, I daresay your cameras will simply tell you that your fenceline is weak. Based on prior theft info, looks also like your gate is easily compromised. In an area like that, a set of boltcutters serve as a useful Master Key.

Remember, unmonitored cameras on an unattended site are simply a forensic tool. They tell you what happened, they don't stop it happening. The "Deterrent effect" is virtually nil, as there is no commercially available camera product, which can't be defeated by a pair of sunglasses and a hoodie.

I agree that lighting is required and a yard dog would also do plenty.
    Last edited by downunderdan; 28-10-10 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks

If you're loosing enough to justify the coin, I'd be installing PE beams with a monitored alarm. At least then you're going to know somethings happening, and reduce the amount of time the goons have on site.

Cameras are great for shopping centres, deli's, service stations, retail outlets and providing ambiguous smudges for all other places in the middle of the night.

Thanks

Default value

Just another update,prior theft value on first occasion $50,000 and second $40000 dollars.Both times the intruders brought vehicles and loaded them up. Bolt cutters where used both times and one of the lights were cut. The interesting part is the shear amount of weight involved in the tools(90lb jackhammer,concretes saws,core machine etc.) and materials(36" reels of copper wire ranging from 2/o-#6 etc.)is amazing. The servellance system is to gather information if a vehicle is used in the theft. Please don't think I would want camera monitoring if every once in awhile someone jumped a little fence as was running off with a roll of duct tape and a box of screws.That is not the case here. We have discussed a dog which may work if I upgrade the fence and teach it to use the toilet. Also if it bites the intruder here in California I might go to prison and have to paid the burglars doctor bills.(not sure on cali law on that) Is there any other forums that might help so I can gather more information?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 691 Posts

As suggested invest the money on perimeter intrusion detection. Your block is nice and square, so decent PE beams should do the job. Coupled with a basic CCTV system that your alarm monitoring company can use for video verification you will have a greater chance of catching them in the act.

• The Following User Says Thank You to intelliGEORGE For This Useful Post:

Privatteer (19-11-10)

Banned
    Thanks

Cool

You could have a look at "Guardwire" if you are willing to spend money on a solution. It is a microphonic wire that is attatched to the fence & supervised with intelligent signal analysis. It can discriminate between someone cutting the fence , climbing the fence or just running a stick along it . It is used in a lot of military installations so I'm guessing it's pretty good.

Thanks

You're in the USA? I'm touched that you'd visit a hokey Australian forum for security advice. Our country is about 20 years behind yours.

Heavy tools aren't a real obstacle in Industrial theft, as the thieves usually have their own trucks, cranes, hoists etc.

If the stuff is that heavy, then a vehicle would be used and you might be able to rely on number plate recognition using a camera further up the road (where they aren't expecting one) or by way of mutual aid agreement with the neighboring properties. However you may just learn that the truck's stolen as well...